Transponder key question

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by CelticPride, Mar 11, 2013.

1. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

Can the transponder be reprogrammed on any key with the chip? Reason I'm asking is my locker at the gym got broken into and my truck keys were stolen. Luckily I got to my truck before anyone was able to get in it. However being at a very busy gym it's just a matter of them coming back to my truck on another day. I have my spare set. Nissan wants to sell me a new blank key and have the transponder reprogrammed. The keys from Nissan are pricey compared to online. I'd like to have two sets again so I can just buy 1 fob and 1 key vs 2 of each. So all that said can my spare OEM key be reprogrammed? Want to make sure that the stolen set no longer works. Not worried too much about the key hole as I'll replace it with a blank 'cover'. When I say cover if I need to get in manually in a pinch I still can buy popping that 'cover' off.

So anyone familiar with the keys are the OEM ones 'reprogrammable'?

2. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

The actual transponder in the key? It is not something that is programmed from what I can remember. It is kind of like an embedded chip that puts out a signal. It does not accept anything. The receiver in the ECU accepts the signal and that is the portion that is programmed.

3. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

So it's best to get two new keys?

4. integroid

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 4.2.2; Nexus 7 Build/JDQ39) AppleWebKit/537.22 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/25.0.1364.169 Safari/537.22)

No, you can just get one key and have the dealer reprogram your ecu to only accept the spare key and the new key.

5. Not sure what you mean when you say that are gonna cover the key hole with a blank cover.If you can still access your truck with the key then so can the other guy with your key.He won't be able to start it if you get your keys reprogrammed properly.Not sure if you are concerned about them getting into your vehicle.

6. sti-mike

sti-mike Member

I was just listening to WSB radio and apparently this is now a big theft scandal where a few guys are getting visitor passes and breaking into lockers. Woodstock and Kennesaw are the areas with the most Police reports.

7. Eco Auto Clean

Eco Auto Clean Active Member

Crazy to hear about! Really hope you get it worked out. What gym, if you dont mind me asking?

8. integroid

Obviously not one around here:)

9. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

Yeah I'm in Conway SC ;)

And I gotcha Integroid. When they add the new key they can reprogram the ECU to wipe all transponders and add the new key and my existing key. That makes the old key useless except to get in the truck.

DroobyDoobyDoo look at this pic.
    [​IMG]

The truck has only 1 door with keys. However I can get the rear handle and pop off the cover. In a pinch if my remote doesn't work I can pop off that cover but to the regular joe it will look like you can not use the key to get in my truck if I have the blank cover. Make sense? I've never had a remote go dead on me and I will put a new battery in my current remote just to make sure it lasts a while. If someone wants to really get in the truck then they will just bust out a window but making it harder hopefully just deters them. In reality the keys that were stolen are probably lying in a ditch or the trash somewhere.

10. Sounds like you got it figured out.When I used to go to the gym I would leave my stuff in the car until I was done then go get it using the valet key tied into my shoelace..Or you could just keep it in your pocket.Unless you are wearing a unitard or some other stretchy outfit without pockets..

11. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

No stretchy stuff here! I suppose I could've left my wallet and stuff in the truck. Kinda pointless now but regardless it won't be long till those old keys are useless. I found the entire lock set with new keys for $200 and bought em.

12. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

Well had the keys and all reprogrammed but the remotes could not be unprogrammed apparently. Doesn't matter now cause they found my keys lying in the grass yard beside the gym. That key won't work now unless I program it but amazingly the remote still works after sitting in two days of very heavy rain and mud.

13. integroid

That sucs...I know on must vehicles you can just entering codes until it finally forgets the one you want it to forget. Just like my garage door opener. It will only hold 6 codes before it goes back around and erases the first one.