Painting Car

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by wileycoyote0022, Mar 27, 2013.

1. So I am contemplating about painting my own car. I have a gun and I'm sure I could rig up a booth to paint it in. I worked in a body shop long ago (during high school), saw it done plenty of times I think I could manage. Its my daily driver so it doesn't have to be a premium paint job, but I'm sure I could do better than maaco (considering how shitty they do tapping off the car).

The body shop I worked at used PPG paint, and that's a little more expensive than I was hoping to spend. Can anyone recommend another brand, and there cost per quart?

Fyi, I'm painting a 97 civic ex 2dr, black (original color)

2. crazyazn

crazyazn I like naps Staff Member Supporting Member

plasti dip yo! :p

3. b reel

b reel Active Member

Sherwin Williams has some cheap single stage or duponts cheap line of Nason will net a decent paint job. All about the prep and how even and consistent you are with your spray pattern.

4. I never sprayed before, but did all the prep work when I worked at the body shop.

I have small rust spots all over the hood and front quarter panels. Other small touch up spots around the car. Easy work.

5. Maybe I should just do a rhino liner spray job on it, lol.

6. KGraska

KGraska Member

PPG Shopline is a decent cheap single stage paint. I've used it a few times and it sprays easily. I was very surprised by the deep color and gloss it had after no buffing at all. You can also clear over it for a little better durability.

7. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

If you are willing to rhino line it might as well plastidip it

8. I wouldnt really put rhino line on the car, just cause it would look pretty stupid on a civic. However I like the idea of durability.

9. Ok so I have done some searching, and beside ordering directly from PPG, I cant find any PPG Shopline online any where. Which also makes it really hard to find some prices for this stuff. I cant imagine I would need more than 2-3 quarts, another quart of clear, if i clear.

Hook me up with some websites, or atleast some cost of each..

10. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

Never mind.....no longer in business.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2013
  11. KGraska

KGraska Member

I think I paid about 26$ per quart of PPG Shopline. There is a place in Alpharetta that mixes and sells PPG but I can't remember the name...I'll look it up and get back to you.

You'll also need the Shopline Hardener as well.

12. Never mind who?

13. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

he put up some contact information, but took it down when he realized they had gone out of business.

14. BKiller

BKiller Active Member

I buy a lot of my paint supplies from www.tcpglobal.com
    Painting is all in the prep work. If you painting black, be prepared to see everything you do. It will also require a ton of cut and buff when you are done.
    You could also look at Hot Rod Flatz and do a real flat black if you want.

15. I have seriously thought about doing flat, I just dont want to paint jams, so kinda curious how it would look with glossy jams and engine bay and a flat exterior. What do you think? think I could get away with flat exterior and glossy jams?

16. On second thought, anyone have a paint booth I can use? Ill buy some pizza and beer for the booth?

17. So I changed my mind, dont think I will be painting my car myself. Now Im in the market for a good paint shop, any recommendations?

18. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member