Roof Racks: Need Experienced Opinions

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by Tward653, Nov 18, 2005.

1. Tward653

Tward653 New Member

Hey guys... with the coming winter season, and a new snowboard right next to me im going to invest in a roofrack to get up to the mountains but had a question about something i noticed. I was shopping around yakima's website and after i "assembled" my rack online it gave me a few notes to be wary of.
    One of them is:
    "The clip fits tightly between the window and the door frame, close your doors carefully to prevent window contact."

Has anyone put a yakima rack on their car?? and if so... seeing as there is no upper door frame and its just the window, does that create problems when you put the rack on ?? Any knowledge would be helpful before a i drop a few hundred on a new rack.

Thanks.
    -Tyler

2. BlackAndBlue

BlackAndBlue Member

i have one, have a mtn bike rack, ill take a picture and host it on here so you can see, it doesnt really bother me but it bothers some other people

3. socrates42

socrates42 Member

get the canadian subaru rack, you replace the black strips on your roof with ones that have tiny attachment points, and then feet attach to those and so forth, barely noticeable when not using the rack. I am not sure on the specifics but if i had a sedan that is the only way i would go. do a search on nasioc for it.

4. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

THULE! :bowdown: http://www.thuleracks.com/thule/default.asp
    you can't go wrong with Thule (tooly). i sold them years ago. they are bomb proof. if you get a new/second car, you can just get the feet to fit that vehical and you're ready to go. they cost a bit more, but IMO it is sooo worth the money. my 2ยข.

5. AdamB

AdamB Member

I've got a Yakima set up on my WRX. It works great (hauling two mountain bikes). The clips do sit pretty close to the window, but you get used to it. I was fearful the first time I closed my doors. It was all good after that.