Middle GA SCCA Rallycross!

Discussion in 'Meetups & Events' started by madkayaker, May 26, 2013.

1. madkayaker

madkayaker Member

Well, after a couple years of searching for a usable location, we've finally done it! There will be a $10 gate fee, and it will be $20 for SCCA members and $30 for non-members. Please preregister if you plan to be there so we will know how many people to be prepared for.

Preregistration:
    https://www.motorsportreg.com/index...83C7A-BCF8-529C-718D508B40A5981D#.UaP7FcpIGfU

Feel free to send me any questions via pm or email at topher170@yahoo.com. Start spreading the word!

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=2949...+S+441+Hwy,+Milledgeville,+Georgia+31061&z=17

Thanks,
    Christopher Almon

Last edited: May 27, 2013
  2. That's awesome! I'll definitely try to come check it out

3. madkayaker

madkayaker Member

Awesome, you're welcome to come hang out even if you don't run. We can probably work out a ride along if you're interested, but be warned, you'll want to do it after you see it.

4. Yeah thats how I got into autocross lol. 1 ridealong.

5. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

Im interested!

6. Simul8

Simul8 New Member

Cool count Zack and I in!

7. madkayaker

madkayaker Member

Will do!

8. EJ1210

EJ1210 Member

Finally, a rallycross that's somewhat close to atl. Very interested. Keep us posted.

9. DannyLerch

DannyLerch Member

So tempting, but I just can't do it with my daily driver. Maybe in the next year or so I'll get an early 90s impreza/wrx for something like this.

10. madkayaker

madkayaker Member

Bring a rental car!

11. madkayaker

madkayaker Member

First post updated... preregistration and more details now available.

12. madkayaker

madkayaker Member

13. DannyLerch

DannyLerch Member

That actually looks pretty mellow. I'll poke my head in. I think I should adjust my coilovers up a few inches first.

14. griggs81

griggs81 Supporting Member

If I wanted my wife to drive too, could we share a car or do we both need our own cars? Do we need to make two registrations, one for her and one for me?

I'll be renting a car (or two), so should we get a rear wheel drive like a Mustang or front wheel drive like a Fiesta (or one of each)?

Thanks!

Last edited: Jun 14, 2013
  15. DannyLerch

DannyLerch Member

I would get something awd if you could.

16. madkayaker

madkayaker Member

Yes, you can most definitely share a car. We will make sure you are in the same run group so It won't be an issue. Each of you register and make your number just one numeral off from each other (adding a 1 to your number is usually easiest, especially if you're just using tape for your numbers). Make sure and let us know when you get there that you are sharing a car. We have several others already doing so. My dad even comes and drives my car on occasion. We have couples, brothers, father/son, etc that share all the time at our solo events and will be sharing for this event.

I would go with front wheel drive over rear for rallyx. It's really preference, and either can be fun. All wheel drive is usually the fastest group though. If it makes any difference to you, we only have one person signed up for stock rear wheel drive, so there wouldn't be much competition.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2013
  17. madkayaker

madkayaker Member

It wouldn't hurt. My car is an inch or two up from my old street setup, but close to stock height should be fine for a subaru.

18. DannyLerch

DannyLerch Member

Good to know! I'm really pumped. I've been a rally fan for years. Group B specifically perks my interest. But since those cars were so rare I went Subaru. Just found out I got a full time job til Christmas on a TV show here in town. Pays really well so it looks like I should be able to afford to rally out my subie this year. Are there any restrictions regarding seats, seat belts, roll cage, etc?

19. madkayaker

madkayaker Member

Cool... I work in the movie industry (I drive cars), so I know how that goes.

No real restrictions on that stuff. Safety equipment doesn't change your classing. For stock class you must have the same number of seats as stock, but you can change to a better seat.

20. DannyLerch

DannyLerch Member

That's cool, small world. I'm a best boy electric. Are you local 479?

21. madkayaker

madkayaker Member

Yes it is. I'm just doing precision driving right now, so I'm not in any unions. I retired from the fire dept. to be a stay at home dad and just fell into the driving thing. I worked on "Prisoners" (the trailer was just released), and I just finished up in GA on "Need for Speed." They are moving to Detroit now and I can't be gone from home that long because of my 18 month old. I'm trying to get into SAG so I can get some stunt work... it seems to require a whole lot of butt kissing, and that isn't my style.

22. DannyLerch

DannyLerch Member

Nice, I'd be interested in driver work. Agreed about the whole sag butt kissing thing.

23. DannyLerch

DannyLerch Member

So I have a problem. My wrx I just bought came with fixed position hose rce yellows that lowered the car 1.5-2 inches. So I can't raise her without getting a new set of adjustable coilovers. Am I screwed for this event?

24. madkayaker

madkayaker Member

That's about the height my wrx used to be. I played on dirt roads like that and never had any problems, but I can't guarantee you wint damage a bumper or something. I'm confident that it would be fine before ruts, but since this is our first event at this location I don't know how the soil will hold up. We will adjust the course if it gets too bad.

I have a set of v7 sti struts, but they have lowering springs in them. I'll make you a dral on them, or loan them to you if you have some springs you can use with them. Also, my stock wrx springs and struts are on my friends forester, and he's talking about getting new struts and kind springs, so they may be available soon.

25. DannyLerch

DannyLerch Member

This is a great community. Yeah lets work something out. I'm dying to do this thing but I dont want to rip my bumper off either. Maybe I can score a set of used kings or something.:bowdown:

26. madkayaker

madkayaker Member

Cool... Just let me know and I'll help any way I can.

27. madkayaker

madkayaker Member

Worst case, you can take the bumper cover off and run without it.

28. madkayaker

madkayaker Member

I didn't think of it earlier, but you could always put in some 1" spacers from paranoid fabrication. That should put you close to stock height, and then you can just take them back out for street use.

29. DannyLerch

DannyLerch Member

I was thinking about that too. Good idea.

30. EJ1210

EJ1210 Member

Registered! I'm stoked.

31. EJ1210

EJ1210 Member

Will there be any more of these in the near future?

32. madkayaker

madkayaker Member

Awesome!

33. madkayaker

madkayaker Member

It's not too late to preregister!

34. griggs81

Got our rental car and registered the wife and I. See everyone there tomorrow!

35. madkayaker

madkayaker Member

Nice! Can't wait. I'll be there at 7 to set up, so feel free to get there early to get a chance to walk the course and that kind of stuff.

36. KGraska

KGraska Member

When does the action start? I may drive down and check out the racing and the location for next time.

37. madkayaker

madkayaker Member

Sorry I'm just now responding, but we're hoping to get the first car on the course at 10:00.

38. madkayaker

madkayaker Member

The event was a big success! The land owner was not excited about how bad we tore up the field, but just in case he doesn't let us come back, I think we may already have another location secured for the next event that will be closer to Atl.

I got first in Modified AWD. Here's a video of a couple of my runs so you can see what you missed out on:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=damZ4ljM3oU&feature=youtu.be

39. indyphil

indyphil New Member

Photos

I also made a facebook gallery of photos, mostly of the 2nd run group because I was driving in the first run group.

Lots of WRXs, Sti's and a couple of RS's were there.

You dont need a facebook account to view them. We have a video coming out soon with multi camera views, telemetry data and some discussion so like the page if you want updates.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/...073741829.130679000289914&type=1&l=a0b5463a9e

40. madkayaker

madkayaker Member

41. Stetson

Stetson Member

way cool. congrats on the event. We'll definately try to make the next one!

42. DannyLerch

DannyLerch Member

Really bummed I couldn't make it. Work like always interfered. Next time I'll be there for sure. After watching videos I'm not worried anymore about damaging my DD.

43. griggs81

Silvana and I had a great time at this event. Looking forward to the next one :)

We ended up leaving before the final times were posted. Is there anywhere we can find those on-line?

44. EJ1210

EJ1210 Member

Agreed. I would like to know my times.

45. DannyLerch

DannyLerch Member

A friend of mine working on a movie north of Atlanta may have found a potential rally stage/rallyx site for another future event. This site is only 45-50 mins north of the city. I'll post some pics later today. The site has bleachers, starting line with lights, an announcers booth, fire pit, and a place to park campers/working trucks. Working on getting a POC and address.

Here is a little sneak peak...

http://instagram.com/p/de1AHSFbL2/

Last edited: Aug 26, 2013
  46. DannyLerch

DannyLerch Member

47. madkayaker

madkayaker Member

Sorry I didn't see the post asking about times. They were posted on the Middle GA facebook page as an attachment, and I can't get them to link here for some reason. I'll keep trying to figure it out.

On another note the next Rallycross is going to be Sept. 22 (sorry for the short notice). I'm going to make a new thread in the events section for it so it doesn't get confusing and maybe more people will see it that way. The new thread is here: http://wrxatlanta.com/forums/showthread.php?p=455547#post455547

Also, I meeting with the owner of Paradise Offroad Park in Macon to work out the details for an October event for the Middle GA Region. I'll get try to get details and preregistration info for it as soon as they are set up.

48. madkayaker

madkayaker Member

I think we have an October event worked out for Middle GA. If everything goes to plan, we will have it on the 13th at Paradise Off Road Park in Macon. I'll make a thread as soon as the details are locked in and preregistration will also be set up asap.

49. griggs81

Thanks, got the race results. Great to see a rental car can be competitive :). BTW, on the way home we ended up having to put on the spare because one of the tires wouldn't hold air. Totally worth the rental price of $40...

50. madkayaker

madkayaker Member

The next event is scheduled for Oct 13th. Here are the details:

Registration (please preregister so we know how many people to expect):
    https://www.motorsportreg.com/index....0#.UjjUDz-GdGM

Paradise Off Road Park, 1276 Sgoda Road
    Macon, GA

Event times:
    7:30 am: Course Setup Begins
    8:30 am: Registration and Tech Begin
    9:00 am: Course open for Driver Walk-through
    10:00 am: Registration and Tech Close