Suspension shopping

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by Mad Mallard, Aug 21, 2013.

1. Mad Mallard

Mad Mallard the mad mallard

I have no idea how to shop for shocks & struts. (what to look for, what to avoid, how to tell what kind/style i need, what would be an upgrade.)

any suggestions or write-ups i can read to educate myself on such things better?

2. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

3. Mad Mallard

i -did- go scrubbing nasioc, but this thread didn't float to the top. i'll go read it ~~

4. Steve@TSM

Steve@TSM New Member

Mike and I can help you with figuring out what suspension setup is going to be the right choice for you.

What are you using the car for? I'm going to assume daily driving with the occasional mountain run?

5. Mad Mallard

yes on the 'dd.' the car is nearing 200k on the oem suspension. I haven't felt like i've been bothered by the oem setup, but i wanted to educate myself about options since its time to look at replacing them. seems like the best time to look at choices.

also, did you get my pm from before?

6. Mad Mallard

okay, that helped.

I dont want coil-overs. and I don't care very much about ride height appearance.

So i need replacement shocks and struts. how do i comparison shop those?

7. Matt

KYB is essentially an OEM replacement. Since you don't care about the ride height, I would look into those. The GR2 is supposed to be a direct OEM replacement. The AGX is an adjustable variant, similar to STi struts. I'd call AllPro and see if they have any takeoff suspension laying around they'll sell on the cheap.

Shocks and struts are the same thing. I think you mean you need struts and springs?

8. C_wagginz

C_wagginz Member

I (and I think maybe some others? ) have the gr2 and they are great and affordable on aftermarket springs or even the stock

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

9. Mad Mallard

thx,

i'm driving this car into the ground, so when I fix it, i wanna do it good.

i guess i have a misunderstanding, i thought shocks generally referred to the rear suspension points.

but being they're all got almost 200k on them, i'm thinking of just replacing them all so I get the most out of them when i get the alignment done.

And the STI ones from any GD will be usable too?

Someone referred me to FEAL who will rebuild the STI setup into arguably the best product short of going to coilovers, anyone heard of that?

10. Matt

pretty much only the 04 STi is a direct bolt up. I think you have to change the tophats for 05-07. I can't remember exactly.

11. Mad Mallard

orly? does that mean 05~07 are interchangeable, but i'm not?

12. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

For your use I wouldnt bother with the FEAL. I had KYB GR2 shocks paired with Swift springs on my wagon and passed them onto Cohen. He can chime in.

I also have a set of oem shocks I'll part with for say $80. About 75k on them

13. Mad Mallard

apparently the same thing is called the Excel-G now?

14. Matt

yessir!

15. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

RCE Black springs and Tokico DSpec struts is hands down one of the best DD setups for your car. Coilovers are a waste of money if you DD the car AND never track it.

16. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Active Member

I ran the same setup above (literally the same setup) and loved it.

17. Mad Mallard

18. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

That may have something to do with the fact that was my setup...lol. It was a great setup.

19. Matt

a google search came up that those are for a wagon...

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2283970

according to another subaru forum, these are the numbers you need:

Sedan Fitment: KYB GR2 / ExcelG Part Numbers: 334471 334470 334358 334359

http://www.amazon.com/KYB-FRONT-REAR-shocks-struts/dp/B002T08STE/ref=pd_sim_sbs_auto_1

20. Mad Mallard

that looks more likely, just given that the 04 stuff always seems to cost more.

i found KYB's part catalog and it seems to match...

21. Dheim96

Dheim96 Member

I had a vendor on nasioc tell me that the RCE black springs are only made for the wagon and not the sedan. Is that correct?

22. bluedestiny

bluedestiny Supporting Member

23. Dheim96

Dheim96 Member

24. bluedestiny

bluedestiny Supporting Member

correct- if your goal is to retain oem struts then these definitely wont work

RCE says these only work with these conditions:
    " 2002-2007 WRX owners will need a conversion to use these springs. The stock WRX shocks are NOT a match for these springs. These will work on the WRX with Tokico D-Spec Struts if 02-03 rear tophats are used. To use with 04-07 rear tophats, a spacer will need to be used. Please call for details."

i did find the RCE guys very helpful in selecting and accessorizing my my tarmac IIs, could not for sure tell if you had talked to them directly

25. b reel

b reel Active Member

26. Mad Mallard

this thread educated me and may have saved me $200+ bucks if the suspension arrives undamaged.

thx errrrvyone~