Wireless Router?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Matt, Aug 20, 2013.

1. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

What wireless routers have you guys had good luck with? I'm in the market for a new router and am looking for the best one for the monies...

2. superdoughboy4

superdoughboy4 Active Member

Ask Chrisdavid. He recently bought one of those nice Asus routers.

3. 07Ltd#767

07Ltd#767 The Neighborhood Drunk

I bought this about a year ago:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833122326

I chose the above b/c I needed a repeater, and it paired well with this:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833122376

The repeater was a bitch. If the router ever had to be reset, you had to reset the repeater as well. When it worked, it was awesome, but it would also broadcast a signal with no backing, which lead to it getting quite annoying when your cell phone would auto connect to it.

I'd recommend the router, haven't had many issues thus far. The worst i had was a lightning strike that wiped out everything, but I reloaded ddwrt on it and comcast replaced the modem and lines, and it fired back up and now works flawlessly again.

Unfortunately I don't ahve much to offer in regards to comparisons vs other makes / models, but I can say this is the most solid router i've used since the trustworthy Linksys WRT54GL. I will say, i've used this router, and I would not recommend. I think i may have had a bad router, as I had issues starting at about month 3 on, but I have nothing positive to say abotu that turd.

4. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

I've had both linksys and belkin, both suck, very much.

:)

5. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

I have the same one 07Ltd has.....it is one of the most stable I've ever worked with.

6. Matt

Thanks...I think

7. Matt

8. superdoughboy4

superdoughboy4 Active Member

If Asus has the same reliability and quality in their routers as they do with their PC hardware, I'm sure those prices are justified. They sure as hell are expensive, but YGWYPF.

9. wrxin8or

wrxin8or Mullitt Staff Member

I've got the cisco EA4500. The signal on it is great, but it occasionally has weird issues and needs a reboot.

10. Strayen

Strayen Active Member

11. bixs

bixs Supporting Member

Never, ever, ever buy linksys.. complete shit.

We've had a few Netgear n900's that we had luck with at work.

I've never had an issue with an Asus product.. I know 4+ people now at work that picked up this RT-AC66U.. However, from what I've seen, the RT-N66U is the same unit, but just doesn't do 802.11ac. Everyone has loved this new Asus.

12. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

13. wagunz_pwn

wagunz_pwn Active Member

I will be running this setup soon...

Cisco Meraki:

-MX60 Cloud Managed Security Appliance
    -MS220-8p Cloud Managed Switch
    -MR24 Cloud Managed Wireless Access Point

Last edited: Sep 5, 2013
  14. J_P

J_P I like pudding pops Supporting Member

Like others have said ASUS has been making some solid routers. Buffalo is worth looking at as well. MIMO is your friend.

Other than that I strongly suggest using DD-wrt software I like to use their compatible router list as my starting point. Don't buy a "repeater" they are normally complete crap. DD-wrt allows you to use a router as a repeater or a wireless ethernet bridge, or both. DD-wrt also gives you access to a lot more than the factory firmware including changing the power output. However, a larger antenna will normally net you a bigger improvement than just changing the power output so if you can buy a router that you can upgrade the antennas on.

Currently, still running old stuff (linksys stuff isn't nearly as bad when you upgrade the firmware to DD-wrt :p). I run my work VPN, PS3/online gaming, 2 Roku's constantly streaming, plus the expected traffic from phones, ipads, and laptops, and I might have to reboot the main router once a month at most.

WRT600N v1.1 - main router
    WRT160N v3 - wireless bridge
    WRT54G v1 - wireless repeater with upgraded antennas

Last edited: Aug 20, 2013
  15. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

16. C_wagginz

C_wagginz Member

I'm currently running an aerohive ap350 as my main wireless unit. It's phenomenal, and great for the price I paid (0$). Outside that, there are good suggestions here...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

17. pEd

pEd This ain't no Piccadilly!

I have the asus n66u and love it. The stock firmware has some security issues if you're using specific "features".

Can't go wrong with the Aruba stuff either- if you've got the money for it. We are using similar aruba equipment at my school and its been rock solid, with ~ 1500 students connecting to it for BYOD access.

18. TheNetsEnd

TheNetsEnd New Member

For what its worth i have used Dlink routers and have had no issues with them. Once I went over all the settings and what not i just leave them and they have been working for years without issue. i have the Dual band N router 855 or something like that.

19. Strayen

Strayen Active Member

Ped, let us talk about how to manage all these BYOD. Ever heard of AirWatch? ;P

20. wagunz_pwn

wagunz_pwn Active Member

Get your spyware outta here!