Which one would you prefer

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by nik_05STi, Oct 4, 2013.

1. nik_05STi

nik_05STi Member

I may be in the market for either a g35 sedan, g37 sedan, Or Lexus is350. What would you want and why?

2. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

wrxin8or has a g35 sedan and hates it. it's a nice-ish car, but gets crappy gas mileage. I test drove an IS and hated it...it might as well be a camry. :|

3. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

None of the above.

4. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

Co-worker has the G37S and loves it.. Looks pretty sweet to me..

5. slowwrx

slowwrx Supporting Member

I've got a friend with the G37S Sedan and he loves it. I drive it on a pretty regular basis when we go out and its a great car. Its fun to drive, reasonably quick, handles well and most importantly its super incognito.

Cops don't look twice at it.

I would own one already if he didn't have one.

6. rsutton1223

rsutton1223 Obsessed Supporting Member

The IS350 and the G37 are both really nice cars. I am not a fan of the styling of the 35 in sedan form. I loved it in the coupe.

7. integroid

Not a fan of the G35/37 interiors...seems like a lot of plastic for a "luxury" sports sedan.

My father just purchased a 2014 IS350. It is a very nice car but the interior seems small to me. Everytime I got into the driver's seat, I would bang my knees on the center console.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2013
  8. wrxin8or

wrxin8or Mullitt Staff Member

I have a G35 and as shringles said I don't like it. I picked it up when I was tired of commuting 60 miles a day in a coilover'ed bugeye and I wanted something that was comfortable but still could get out of its own way. It gets crappy gas mileage, but is comfortable and pretty solid on road trips, I just hardly drive it anymore as I commute via Delta these days

That said, I have put a few thousand miles on an IS250, and they are a lot smaller inside than the G. Neither of those would be on my list to buy in the future

9. lnx

lnx New Member

Do you want an expensive nissan, or expensive toyota?
    What is your motive? MPG? Speed? Luxury?

I'd ask the purpose and go from there :)

My first car was a '90 240 SX/SE and loved it. If I had the choice id go inf. over lexus.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2013
  10. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

There is a huge difference in the G35/G37 and the G35S/G37S. I personally LOVE the coupe 35S/37S. Sweet cars. The IS I have never liked....just tiny over all.

11. welery

welery Member

I have a G35 6MT sedan and I like it. The G Sedan is one of the cheapest and fun RWD with a manual transmission cars you can get.

I would suggest getting a G37 over the G35 as the creature comforts are nicer (bluetooth streaming, upgraded nav and a better looking interior).

The seats in the "S" sedan are different and more comfortable than the base G37 also.

12. JL889

JL889 Pandastic!

13. slade1274

slade1274 Member

I have a G37s and like it.... but it is on a 24mo lease deal. Not sure I would own one. Still love the 135i a ton.... what about a 335?

Gas mileage on all of them "suck" when your primary concern is power.

14. 07Ltd#767

07Ltd#767 The Neighborhood Drunk

the 335D is a sick option, too. Decent gas mileage, and 400+ wtq off the bat

15. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

16. nik_05STi

nik_05STi Member

I was looking for mpg and luxury, as speed isn't too important b/c whatever I get won't be as fast/quick as my sti. M5 is out the question because I'm only spending what I'd get for my car. BMW is another option I guess, 3/5 series. I'm also looking into Lexus gs350. I have also a found a nice g37 journey.

But if I'm not going to get the offer I'm asking for the sti, I'll just keep it.

17. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

Any BMW is going to rape you on maintenance.....just a thought.

18. integroid

Fixed for you

19. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

How so.. if you're getting everything done at a dealership, yes it can get costly as any other car dealership. I love my 528. not fast but very comfy and gets 28 MPG highway. The newer ones even get 30+ mpg on highway.

20. integroid

Wait till you have to replace something.

Plus the fact that on some European motors, you have to use a certified oil in them. Like my S4.....So there is no such thing as a DIY $20 oil change.

21. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

Have you considered a new TDI? Those are made in Germany versus mexico. 40-45 average mpg with decent around-town performance.

22. nik_05STi

nik_05STi Member

No, not in the market for a vw or Audi

23. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

That was purely why I got rid of my M3. I got tired of paying and special ordering $100 oil at a time esp when the local BMW dealership moved 30 more miles away.

24. integroid

Luckily I get Motul at wholesale but my S4 takes 7 1/2 liters of oil. I usually order (3) 5 liter jugs at a time from APR. Comes out to be about $50 an oil change with oem filter.

25. nik_05STi

nik_05STi Member

I thought about an M3 when i bought the sti, after driving both, i like the subi better.

26. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

Jeez that's a lot of oil.

27. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

I already have replaced parts.

Busted power steering hose=$800.00.
    Started went out, 1,300.00.
    Changed oil once so far=$130.
    Total cost in maintenance/parts so far of 18 months ownership= roughly 2,300.00.
    Monthly cost of owning the BMW so far minus insurance= roughly 127/month.

:hsugh: Maybe it is a bit expensive compare to some cars, and cheap compared to others.

28. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

$1300 starter/$800 hose is not cheap in any shape or form. No one cares about the cost of ownership over months.....they care about the initial hit.

29. JL889

JL889 Pandastic!

I've always said you gotta pay to play. Even when I had my Sti there was no much thing as $20 oil change. I always had Mobil 1/Royal Purple.

30. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

Agreed. But those are dealership prices. I'm sure that I could have paid 1/4 of those prices at moms and pops shops.

31. integroid

Doubtful as all you would saving on is labor. Mom and pop European shops still use OEM parts most of the time.

32. integroid

I would never use Mobil 1 and especially Royal Purple for a Subaru. 1 gallon jub of Rotella is about $20....then a $4 Nippon Denso filter and you are all set.

33. KGraska

KGraska Member

Global BMW charges 140$ an hour for labor. They also include a ridiculous markup on all of their parts. So basically they are raping you twice.

Most independent BMW shops are closer to 70-80$ an hour...and the same exact OEM parts ordered from WorldPac or another distributor other than BMW will save you tons of $$ too.

34. nik_05STi

nik_05STi Member

I would actually recommend royal purple (everyone has their own opinion). My brother and I have been using it for STi, Lexus, and Honda S2000. Some of my friends have been running royal purple in EVO, TSX, RSX, Cobra. We've never had issues.

35. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

Not in Subarus.....Subarus tend to eat Mobil and RP.

36. nik_05STi

nik_05STi Member

Maybe some of them do, but my car does not.