Dealership Service Complications, feedback needed

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Eco Auto Clean, Oct 27, 2013.

1. Eco Auto Clean

Eco Auto Clean Active Member

As some of you may know I just picked up a 2009 Forester. When test driving the TPMS light was illuminated. The front right tire was filled with air, light went off. Next day, I noticed the car was pulling to the right and scheduled a service app to have alignment checked, as well as the tire, as the TPMS light came back on.

I went to the dealer Saturday having alignment and tire checked. 3 HOURS later, i ask the service advisor how much longer on my car, he walks back, pulls up the car and says they don't have a tire and it will be in Monday to replace it.

Because this tire is not repairable, I believe the right thing for them to do is obviously replace all 4 as well as check and fix the alignment. If the tire was repairable, I wouldn't expect all 4 replaced.

Just wanted to gather the thoughts and input of the community - not to mention the 3 hours I spent while my car was sitting for however long.

2. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

Being that it's AWD, all tires should be replaced, unless the tires were replaced within the past couple months. If my memory serves, they have to be within 2/32nds of each other to not affect the driveability or cause harm to the transmission.

I wouldn't worry about it too much as it's from a subaru dealer. However, I would ask that they put your concerns in writing just in case something happens in the future.

3. b reel

b reel Active Member

tell them to add 10K to the drivetrain warranty or put four brand new tires on it

4. Eco Auto Clean

Not from Subaru and tires are pretty worn

5. Matto357

Matto357 Crazyazn likes Naps Staff Member

Then let them know they either need to replace all four or have the replacement shaved down to be within spec.

6. Al.SpecB

Al.SpecB Member

Well my opinion is that if the tires are already pretty worn like 5/32nd or less left on the tread.They should of put all new tires on it before they even put it for sale on the lot. That is kind of a big safety thing. So I would have to say to try to push the issue to get all 4 replaced because of the AWD system.

7. Eco Auto Clean

Yea I even went by discount tire to have them inspected for actual tread wear, etc. All the tires were at 38psi...anyway..service manager just told me the sales manager would buy 2 of them tires if i bought the other 2, not having it.stand by fellas.

8. Eco Auto Clean

so they offered to buy 2 of four or give me my 04 back ( falling apart) lol. Soooo yea. Kevin, the manager at discount tire in lilburn, is helping me with the other two. Never going back to this dealer but can't say I'm completely butt hurt. lol

9. Mad Mallard

Mad Mallard the mad mallard

was it an 'as is' purchase?

10. Eco Auto Clean

Yes but when purchased the service area was already closed and I was unsure if it was just low pressure or a repair issue. Had I known it was not repairable I would have discussed before finishing purchasing. Other than that I had a wonderful buying experience

11. J_P

J_P I like pudding pops Supporting Member

Last edited: Oct 28, 2013
  12. Eco Auto Clean

Justin - it's a 2.5 x limited / LLbean edition. Got a great deal on it, more importantly, I received a great trade in on mine. Purchased the car from toyota of sandy springs. 2009 with 48k. Two owners with great records / serviced at SOG. No wrecks. Etc. not turbocharged but still very happy with the purchase.

13. outbacksprt

outbacksprt Member

Depending on tread wear and telling me it's at 5/32nds is saying that all 4 should be replaced.. As the safety concern was brought up that's not true for used cars anymore. We've put cars on the lot with 4/32nds on our lot. (because our salesman managers are cheap at times) "Technically" safety regulations say 5/32nds are decent to put them on a sales lot. however.. having an unrepairable tire is pretty cheap of the dealer :| I've heard of some strange things from other dealers. 4 Tires were probably recommended by the tech but salesman make the call on that one.

Would recommend replacing all 4 sounds to me like you're still rolling on the stock yoko Geolanders.

14. bluedestiny

bluedestiny Supporting Member

lol,is it less than 4/32 for replacement if one is selling cars, and at 4/32 for replacement if one is selling tires than 4/32?

15. outbacksprt

outbacksprt Member

pretty much if it's anything above 4/32nds most dealer's roll it out on the lot.. I know our certified used cars have to have 5/32nds anything below that it doesn't become a certified car. Granted still has to be the original tires as well.

16. digitizedsoul

digitizedsoul Moderation is a vice Supporting Member

was this at SOG or the toyota place justin?

17. Eco Auto Clean