COBB AP and SF intake- monitoring

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by lnx, Oct 30, 2013.

1. lnx

lnx New Member

I am sorry if this is a repost or dup. i couldn't find anything.. but anyway

Im a total nooby at tuning I haven't drove for years and just got this STI. It came with a catback exhaust and a cobb accessport tuner. I just put the cobb SF intake and put stage1 93 SF map on it.

The blow off sound is a lot louder then expected and I have been reading on forums but still am a little shaky on all the monitoring and terms.

Can anyone here lend me their ear for some questions. I just want to make sure Im not hurting my car.

I think someone here is from AllPro. Id really like to get someone to check it out on a dyno or just check it out period.
    thanks!

'if anyone was at the last meet up i was the grey STI wagon' aka cJ :)

2. Matto357

Matto357 Crazyazn likes Naps Staff Member

What exactly are you worried about? The intake recirculating valve sound does increase a lot with the cobb intake, it's normal.

3. lnx

lnx New Member

i dont know what i dont know. after more research I found my A/F learning1 extremes are -11.7/11.7 and Cobb says it should be -/+8. I guess I need to keep researching.

4. Berzerklo

Berzerklo Active Member

If you are already concerned about the A/F (and its a good thing to keep an eye on), I would do one of the following:

1) Get a real tune (from a shop or an e-tune) as the Cobb Off the Shelf (OTS) maps are known to only be marginal - a tune for your specific car/set up will always be better.

2) Return the intake. I know your fuel map should be scaled for the Cobb SF intake with the tune, but there is really no need for an intake on your set up. The stock intake box does not get restrictive until power levels well above where you are at. Put the money towards a Down pipe and go Stage 2 if you want moah powa.

5. lnx

lnx New Member

Thanks for the input. I think my next upgrade will be the down pipe. Has anyone had issues with emissions with any upgrades? I have to keep an eye on that too since Cherokee requires it.

6. KGraska

KGraska Member

I'm running a full catless TBE and I live in Cobb with no problems. As long as you can turn off any CEL with the AP or a tune you are good.

The guy even did the visual inspection with a mirror. This was very entertaining...he assumed the resonator in my midpipe was a cat so yea....these aren't exactly brain surgeons doing the emission testing around here. They don't even know where the factory cat belongs more or less what its supposed to look like.