Chromecast

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Jake, Nov 18, 2013.

1. Jake

Jake Active Member

So I just ordered one of these. Anyone used it yet? Compared to Apple TV? I have some friends with Apple TV and it's great, but I figured at $35 the chromecast was worth a shot.

2. 07Ltd#767

07Ltd#767 The Neighborhood Drunk

I'm using it right now to watch the end of the game. streaming espn to my computer and chrome casting it through the receiver so I get surround sound

3. 07Ltd#767

No experience with apple TV, but the chrome browser doesn't read the sound codecs correctly sometimes and it messes up the sound. haven't found a plug in or codec pack to make it all work

4. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Active Member

I have one. The casting from chrome is not so good for me. The video stutters. My pc is way beyond what they claim to be minimum requirements.

My roku does a much better job. With Twonky Beam app I can browse anything on my phone and play it on the roku.

5. Dheim96

Dheim96 Member

I'm using one. I'm having issues using it with netflix and have a open case with google support (which sucks btw). I don't think I would recommend it anyone.

6. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

I have no issues with mine. Love it!

7. 07Ltd#767

for $35, the pros definitely outweigh the cons, though as everybody's saying, there are definitely cons. Roku is nice, too, just not as compact (we have one of those as well). I'd actually pick the CC over the Roku, only b/c the Roku has to buffer a lot a more. If the video is compatible w/ the chrome browser (you can test this, just drag the video file onto an open browser page), you shouldn't really have any issues.

the netflix thing blows - I use netflix w/ my CC and i've never once had an issue with it ;/

8. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Active Member

I like the chromecast but the chrome tab casting is ridiculous and not the way I thought it worked when I bought it. With tab casting the pc processes the video and relays it to the chrome cast. The pc still displays the video but cuts out the sound so you have to leave it open.

With Netflix and youtube your phone or chrome just sends the url for video to the chromecast and it decodes the stream and displays the video.

I requested to get mine whitelisted so I could build a sender app to handle NBC Live Extra and Espn3 without the crappy tab casting.

9. Dheim96

Dheim96 Member

I'm using my cc on one of my TV's and not a computer. To be honest when I first started using it and it was working correctly it was amazing. I got a non smart LED TV because I was planning on using the cc to turn it into a smart TV. I think once this problem gets resolved then it will be back to being great. I'm just having a hard time with the crappy support right now.

10. I've got one. When using the browser plug-in it is really wireless router dependent. If you've got an old blue linksys from the early 2000's then you'll have some quality issues.
    I got a new cisco router and my quality improved a lot.
    Using apps is a breeze with my phone as a remote.

11. Jake

Jake Active Member

thanks for the input guys. i've also been considering upgrading my wireless router, as i am just using the provided one from time warner and it sucks. i have been looking at upgrading my parents, because theirs has connectivity issues, so i figured i'd upgrade as well. i'll test it as is now and if i have to upgrade the router, i will.

12. Mine doesn't work this way at all. I get sound and video on my TV no problem from chrome tab casting...
    Or are you saying that the video keeps playing on the chrome tab without sound while sending audio and video to the TV? Because that is the way mine works also. I can open other tabs and applications though with the video in the background though, no issues.

13. FACE

FACE Active Member

I have been considering kicking cable and getting cromecast myself.

14. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Active Member

this -->

I thought that it redirected the chromecast to the stream and didn't need a pc to do the decoding and then forward it. That doubles the network traffic and is not an efficient way to do it. The true chromecast apps do it the right way.