looking for rally skid plates?

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by Rally Culture, Dec 4, 2013.

1. Rally Culture

Rally Culture New Member

where can i find some inexpensive rally skid plates? im debating weather to make my own or just buy some for cheap. has anyone made their own? it doesnt look to hard to make the tray under the engine. wat do u guys think?

2. BlackAndBlue

BlackAndBlue Member

Have you ever tried to cut sheet metal before? I'm not trying to be a dick but its not the easiest thing to do without a shop...

3. b reel

b reel Active Member

sharpie, jig saw with metal cutting blade and a cardboard template.

4. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

^^

Agreed. To make a nice looking one that will actually fit will be PITA.

A simple skid plate shouldn't be hard. I made a splitter a while back from sheet metal and it wasn't hard.....all you need is a decent metal cutter, a drill and patience.

5. KGraska

KGraska Member

6. Justin V

Justin V Member

Steal a stop sign from an important intersection. JK DON'T!

I wouldn't think it would be too bad to make one. I'd really only want a sheet metal break to bend it, and I know harbor freight might have some cheap ones.

Depending on the metal thickness you could cut it with tin snips or those massive sheet metal scissors or even mark a line and run a dremel cut off wheel across it a few times.

The rest would be bending and drilling bolt holes.

Oh and use cardboard to make a template first. or just make a cardboard skid plate. Something is better than nothing, right?

7. J_P

J_P I like pudding pops Supporting Member

I'm running a primitive skid plate. No complaints here. Makes oil changes a lot easier too.

8. Justin V

Justin V Member

Did you get the window for oil changes or do you have to remove it?

I think it'd be cool to use some of those zeus fasteners to install it with, a few 1/4 turns and the whole thing is off.

Mine's not that low and won't go off road otherwise this would be higher on my priority list.

9. Rally Culture

Rally Culture New Member

i got a friend with a welder and plasma cutter and all that stuff so really all i need is the sheet metal and some patients. if i didnt know some one with the tools i dont think i would even try but since i know a guy i think i can make this work. its all about having the right tools rite lol makes the job much easier.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2013
  10. J_P

J_P I like pudding pops Supporting Member

Look at what is out there and start cutting some cardboard until you have a template that fits the way you want.

Justin V, I did not get the window for oil changes, but 5 bolts is a lot easier to deal with than bolts + stupid clips.

11. slowautoxr

slowautoxr New Member

I've made a 3/16" Al skid plate for my 2.5RS and my Evo. Used a plasma cutter on the one for the 2.5RS. Believe it or not, I used a circular saw on the one for the Evo. I recommend the circular saw. It's easy and it leaves very clean edges. I googled it and watched a you tube video. It really does work very excellent.

12. slowautoxr

slowautoxr New Member

Here's a pic:
    [​IMG]

13. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

What size sheet did you use?

14. slowautoxr

slowautoxr New Member

I got a piece from a friend for the 2.5RS. I bought a 4x4 sheet for the Evo. Neither go the full width of the car but both cover all the necessary parts.