Downpipe Install

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by LoveMyNewSoob, Dec 3, 2013.

1. LoveMyNewSoob

LoveMyNewSoob Member

Well, with a black Friday sale, I have finally pulled the trigger on a downpipe. I have had the car almost 2 years now and felt it was time (and the funds would allow it). I went with the Invidia Catted divorced 2 bung downpipe. The other engine/exhaust mods are a Cobb AP and a Type One Racing Cat-back. I have been doing a bit of research on installing these, but just wanted to get some insight from the locals.

Any tips/tricks/thoughts on installing the DP? I am going to go with the Cobb AP tune once it is installed and then hopefully can get it over to Top Speed early next year when some extra cash comes in.

Thanks for any insight!

2. b reel

b reel Active Member

use 6-pt sockets to remove nuts and bolts.

3. jchon3

jchon3 Supporting Member

Maybe some PB blaster?

4. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

PB Blaster is a must. Soak all of the nuts/bolts on the stock DP and let it sit for around 30 minutes before attempting to remove them. Disconnect the O2 sensor in the DP first before doing anything else. 6 Point Sockets. It is a pretty straightforward job and shouldnt take long. The aftermarket downpipe will go in easier.

5. Dheim96

Dheim96 Member

A big ass breaker bar will help also.

6. Justin V

Justin V Member

There are so many heat shields on the stock one too. Make sure to get all the bolts out they're hidden all over the place.

The stock DP bolts might all be able to come off from on top of the car but if a bell mouth is going on some nuts go on under the car. Have plenty of extensions and swivels.

7. LoveMyNewSoob

LoveMyNewSoob Member

Thanks for all the tips so far!
    I have a can of PB blaster ready...needed that a while ago to get my calipers off to replace a wheel stud...great stuff!

8. LoveMyNewSoob

LoveMyNewSoob Member

So, it finally came in!! whoop whoop!! :wiggle: It is killing me not being able to put it in! I will probably get to it on Sunday. Looks a lot bigger than I thought it would be, but that is the noob in me I guess. I am hoping that sound does not get much louder as I really enjoy how the T1R sounds.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I am sure this is old boring stuff to most of you, but I thought I would share anyways.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2013
  9. Looks nice. Post pics of the work and finish...I'm getting ready to pull this same trigger very soon.

10. digitizedsoul

digitizedsoul Moderation is a vice Supporting Member

This is the exact downpipe I have. Installation is easy, just come from under the car (on jackstands)

when I put my motor back in it took me about 10-15mins to get the downpipe put back on and bolted up.

Also use a NEW donut gasket on the exhaust > downpipe junction. I re-used mine and it is already leaking so i'm going to have to replace it now.

11. integroid

Donut gasket? I dont think this one takes a donut gasket like the stock exhaust does. This downpipe is suppose to mate with a full 3" exhaust system.

12. jchon3

jchon3 Supporting Member

I believe Invidia uses the stock Donut gasket with their downpipes.

Edit* Had full Invidia exhaust on the WRX and also currently the BRZ, Used stock donut gasket for the downpipe/midpipe connection. seems to work fine as long as the gasket is in good condition

Last edited: Dec 12, 2013
  13. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

and that gasket shouldn't break very easily. It's not paper.

14. LoveMyNewSoob

LoveMyNewSoob Member

Will do. I am going to try and get a before and after video too.

15. LoveMyNewSoob

LoveMyNewSoob Member

Sounds good!
    Question though, I already have a 3" cat back, so there is no donut gasket correct? That is just for the taper down to stock exhaust right?

16. LoveMyNewSoob

LoveMyNewSoob Member

hmmm...it did come with a gasket for the dp to exhaust connection, but don't think it is a donut.

I also bought a new grimmspeed turbo to dp gasket and a Cobb heatshield to go in at the same time so I think that is all I need right? Again, the T1R catback is 3"

17. jchon3

jchon3 Supporting Member

Yep they always always include an extra. If the T1R uses its own bolt to mate the downpipe, you can use the provided gasket or the donut. If you are using the factory spring loaded bolts you must use the donut.
    I.M.O the donut gasket provides a better seal when torqued down well :)

18. digitizedsoul

yeah it wasn't a donut gasket i was thinking of, it was this one
    [​IMG]

19. integroid

No they do not...The stock donut gasket would reduce it down to 2.5". This downpipe is made for a 3" exhaust so you just use the supplied gaskets when making the downpipe to exhaust junction.

This is what a stock donut gasket looks like
    [​IMG]

20. LoveMyNewSoob

LoveMyNewSoob Member

yeah, that is what came in the package. I'll have to double check what bolts are used on the T1R. I am assuming there is no donut. From reading posts, I was under the assumption the donut was because of the taper in piping. Since it will be full 3" all the way now, the provided gasket should work...I hope :eek:hnoes:

21. integroid

Yes as long as your T1R exhaust has a true 3" flat flange on the downpipe side it will mate up perfectly.

22. b reel

b reel Active Member

on install, make sure to mount all bolts loose before tightening to spec. Make sure you have no clearance issues as you wrap up the install. Also pay attention to the wiring for your O2 sensor

23. LoveMyNewSoob

LoveMyNewSoob Member

Thanks for the tip! Do you happen to know the torque spec?

24. jchon3

jchon3 Supporting Member

25. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

Just do what I did, turn that thing until it can't go no more. J/k good luck.

26. LoveMyNewSoob

LoveMyNewSoob Member

27. LoveMyNewSoob

LoveMyNewSoob Member

So, I just got done installing the down pipe, :) It was a little more difficult than I thought, and I ended up with a pretty wicked cut down the length of my pinky where my hand got wedged between a wrench and one of the many sharp metal pieces down by the O2 sensor. :eek:hnoes:
    So, I just took it for a ride up 75 to get a data log. Problems. When I get into the power the car kind of "farts" and losing boost. When I was doing the datalog, it did it once, then went back to normal, then did it again, and back to normal…all with the pedal on the floor. Then I got off the interstate and was WOT in some other gears with the same result. Kind of a fart and shuttler, with a dip in power.
    Any thoughts on what this, might be and what to do next?
    I don't have a spreadsheet program on my mac at home so I will be able to look at it tomorrow at work.
    I already flashed to Stage 2 93 Octane.
    Any help/thoughts would be great!

28. ChrisW

ChrisW Member

Check to make sure you didn't pinch or forget a vacuum line when you were removing/installing the heat shield.

29. digitizedsoul

boost leak of some kind sounds like

30. LoveMyNewSoob

LoveMyNewSoob Member

I am kind of thinking boost issue too. I checked all the hoses and they all seem to be in place. One on the right side of the IC was able to be pushed in a bit further which I did this morning. Reflashed to Stage 2 93 oct v300 and had the same issue on the way to work.
    I have attached the datalog from last night. I am a bit over the target boost (19.5). Should I try the low wastegate map? Also, there is no A/F learning showing up until I am off the gas...is that normal!? New to data logging, so help here would be great.

I was looking around a bit last night on how to fix/find boost issues. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Again, noob, trying to learn my way into performance cars, tuning.

Attached Files:

31. LoveMyNewSoob

LoveMyNewSoob Member

I also just looked at the Cobb site and saw that there have been a few updates to the AP that I do not have (up the v3.33 and I think I am still using v300). I will try to load those on tonight and reflash again (my computer was not really cooperating last night).

32. integroid

I know this might be stupid but make sure you have everything plugged back in correctly. O2 Sensor, Main Engine Harness, etc.....I had unplugged my main harness against the strut tower once and forgot about it until 3 days after trying to troubleshoot it.

33. LoveMyNewSoob

LoveMyNewSoob Member

Ha! At this point, I'll take anything. Still learning=nothing stupid :)
    I actually had a chance to go out to my car at work and found another hose that was lose. It is one of the hoses that attaches to the left side of the IC. When I pulled the IC, this hose actually came off at the other end, not on the IC end...so, that wasn't properly pushed back into place. I am hoping on my ride home I can test it a bit and see if that was the problem.

Thanks again!

34. digitizedsoul

well there was the boost leak :)

35. Aggregate

Aggregate Member

Clean the throttle body and the MAF would also be on my list of troubleshooting.

36. LoveMyNewSoob

LoveMyNewSoob Member

I hope!

37. LoveMyNewSoob

LoveMyNewSoob Member

She's back purring like an angry kitty!! :wiggle:
    Thanks everyone for the help! (Even though it was my own fault)

38. digitizedsoul

Boom.

Enjoy man, it's TURBO WEATHER

39. LoveMyNewSoob

LoveMyNewSoob Member

just a couple of iphone pics. It was too cold on Sunday to worry about real pictures. Just wanted to get it done and get back inside!

intercooler out

[​IMG]

old DP

[​IMG]

installed

[​IMG]

[​IMG]