Clutch time?***

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by izzy_the_impressa, Jan 13, 2014.

1. Im no mechanic, but it appears as though my clutch is slipping. It seems to run fine, but every time I try and put some power down I hear the engine working but the car doesn't move.

If it is the clutch, what's the most cost efficient route to fix? Buy a clutch kit online & get a shop to work on it? Anyone selling/know where to get a good/affordable clutch?

2. Mike@TSM

Mike@TSM Member

Is there any smell or smoke after you notice it "slipping"?

If it is the clutch, we offer that service and would be happy to offer you great pricing on the parts. Let me know if you'd like an estimate or simply want us to look at it before hand to confirm if it is the clutch.

3. No smell or smoke.:eek:hnoes:

4. 04subiwrx

04subiwrx Member

Pm'd you

5. bluedestiny

bluedestiny Supporting Member

Once slipping starts, its best to drive as gently as possible to avoid continued slipping to minimize damage to the flywheel surface

6. Justin V

Justin V Member

Any chance you slipped it really bad and glazed it over? They can seem like the clutch is going out but once the glazing has worn off it operates just fine.

I'd go with TSM or Allpro to get it replaced. They may have special or flat rate clutch job pricing. From what I've seen pepboys and places will do it too, but I'd prefer a shop that specializes in Subarus

7. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

Allpro can and will beat any other vendor's price on here.....and they will get it done much quicker too. Give em a buzz.

A slipping clutch can be verfied by pressing the go pedal and if you see the RPMS climbing yet the mph isn't correlating right it's slipping. Also too much and you will see/smell a nasty burnt smell...it's VERY noticable.

8. ScoobyMike

ScoobyMike OG Mod

Go up a hill in 5th gear with WOT, if the RPM's jump and the car doesn't seem like its speeding up, its time for a new clutch. 5th gear puts the most load on the car plus your going up a hill.

9. FACE

FACE Active Member

Just be easy on it and maybe you can salvage your fly wheel.

10. Thanks. Yea, the car went 11 years & 195k before needing to be replaced. It's kind of a miracle! I drive fast, not hard, so crossing my fingers the fly is good.