Brake caliper suggestion (07 wrx)

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by ihavefat, Feb 17, 2014.

1. ihavefat

ihavefat Member

Not too long ago, almost a month after getting the car, I replaced the pads and the rotors all around with dba t3 and hps hawk pads. During the install, I found out the driver's side caliper is actually leaking and most likely the pistons are so rusted, they are probably not working. I've been refilling the brake fluid once in a while as a temporary fix.

My dilemma is, should I just get another stock brake caliper for the drivers side or should I upgrade to a new front brake cailper setup? I know it's all preference and depends on ones budget but I cannot find anyone selling just the drivers side and if I were to upgrade both front calipers, the cheapest I found on eBay was just over 600 dollars. I prefer using the rotors/pads so I am not really sure if any other aftermarket brake calipers would fit.

2. b reel

b reel Active Member

should have 4-pots already, stick with those

3. Justin V

Justin V Member

Some place in the UK sells a rebuild kit with new pistons.

The seals can go bad but the pistons shouldn't rust unless you get water in the lines. I got new seals to rebuild mine for $5 each from rockauto, just use a rebuild kit from a 90+ 300zx.

4. ihavefat

ihavefat Member

The thing is I bought the car used...about 169k miles on it. The car has been in accidents and it's so obvious because some parts look so new and some don't. When we were doing the brakes, the passenger side brake caliper was easy to install the pads but for the drivers side, not only did the caliper look more damaged, the pistons would not move no matter which tool we used and we barely got the pad in there. And most likely I am missing a gasket. But even if I were to put in the gasket, I am pretty sure the pistons are not working properly or even working at all.

Do you think a rebuild kit can fix this issue? Also currently my brake feel is horrible and I am sure most of it is because of the drivers side brake caliper. Should I have changed the brake lines as well? Would the brakes work even if it had water in the lines?

5. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

rebuild kit will include all the gaskets necessary to fix/refurb the caliper. Definitely go with that. Subaru should sell it.

6. Justin V

Justin V Member

Brakes will work with water in the lines it just compresses more than brake fluid.

Sounds like your best bet is to just buy a rebuild one and exchange the core and bleed the system with new fluid.

Lines are up to you. A properly functioning brake system feels perfectly fine to me.

If the rubber is cracking go ahead and do it. OEM replacement or SS braided is up to you.

7. Jake

Jake Active Member

if nothing else, this works. you can probably find the rebuild kits for a 300zx cheaper than anything for or from subaru, and they are identical. with that many miles it wouldn't hurt to tear down the other side at the same time and rebuild that one.

8. Justin V

Justin V Member

Yeah my centric kits were $5 each, I have the wrappers somewhere if you need the part numbers.

If the piston is rusty I doubt it will be too much, it could be sanded off. Depends on your mechanical know how after all this is your brakes, you mess up and you'll know it.

9. b reel

b reel Active Member

if rusted, replace it. pistons for brakes are far cheaper than for an engine

10. Justin V

Justin V Member

Yeah only source I know of it the UK guy and for what they cost, he might as well buy a reman one and just do the exchange.

11. b reel

b reel Active Member

pistons are about $10 each

12. Justin V

Justin V Member

13. jchon3

jchon3 Supporting Member

It has the missing washer!

14. Justin V

Justin V Member

and they're square cut too!!! Totally worth the price

15. ihavefat

ihavefat Member

Wow! that seal kit looks great!

BTW UPDATE:

I was in an accident last week and the brakes failed on me in traffic. I had about 3-4 car lengths and I tried to stop (the car in front of me was dead stopped and I was going about 20-30) and I saw it last second but I figured I would stop with that much distance. Nope. The brakes went numb, there was no tire squeaking so I am guessing the calipers were not gripping the rotors.

I learned in the hard way. The car is in the shop now.

Where can I get the calipers re-sealed? Also if I just wanted a fresh start, what other brake kits would you guys recommend? I would like to continue to use the DBA T3 rotors with the pads I have so not looking for like 3k Big Brake Kits or anything.

I want to upgrade the brakeliens as well just in case because I want to improve the brake feel as much as I can. This is seriously a matter of life and death and I just can't cheap out here. Let me know what you guys think!

16. b reel

b reel Active Member

NAPA Gold rotors, Hawk pads, DOT compliant stainless steel lines with Motul 600 or ATE fluid

17. bluedestiny

bluedestiny Supporting Member

....and changing the fluid every two years will make it all last much longer ;)

18. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

Doubt there is a brake kit you will be able to retain your rotors and pads to use. The 4 pots should be enough, you just need them to work properly. You can try swapping the master cylinder/booster out for a single stage setup, stainless lines, and rebuilt caliper. You shouldn't have a problem then.

Then there is always a Brembo upgrade from the STI. You can probably sell your 4 pots to a GC or bug eye guy to recoop at least half of the cost.

19. ihavefat

ihavefat Member

I am leaning towards Motul 600 with Goodridge SS lines.

Where can I get a hold of single stage booster setup?

20. ihavefat

ihavefat Member

just ordered

just ordered the ss lines and the Motul fluid...I purchased 3 of them just in case

Also ordered the pistons from the dealership...now about to get the reseal kit..

Anyone have any knowledge about the single stage setup?

21. Matt

The brake booster is an STi part. I got one a couple years ago from car-part.com out of a trashed car. All Pro would most likely have that laying around.

They're typically about $100 or less, depending on condition and whatnot.

http://www.northursalia.com/modifications/brakes/booster/booster.html

You may not actually need this, but it's a possibility

22. ihavefat

ihavefat Member

Thank you for the DIY!

btw what do you mean I won't actually need it??

Matt, so I need to look for a single stage brake booster from any STI? that is what I am having the most trouble understanding...its not ilke an aftermarket part that I can just purchase..It seems like I need someone to actually crash..and total their car...LOL

23. ihavefat

ihavefat Member

24. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

The single stage setup is just one of those car hacks that people have figured out. Did you get the SS lines and rebuild done? Your brakes should already feel way better. Also may have missed it, but what pads are you running? Curious if previous owner used shitty pads.

25. b reel

b reel Active Member

26. Matt

27. ihavefat

ihavefat Member

So all STIs are single stage and WRXs are dual? I've seen some posts where STI owners were installing the single stage...Why did they replace if they already have single stage set up?

Also is this all I need? My understanding is that I will need a diff master cylinder as well?

The ebay link...it is being sold as is...do I not have any guarantee that it 'll work? Lol just making sure

28. ihavefat

ihavefat Member

Took some pictures today...wow...!!

this is the Passenger side..looks normal right?
    [​IMG]

This is the drivers side...WHAT IS GOING ON??
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Has the pad melted? Do I need new front pair of pads?

29. bluedestiny

bluedestiny Supporting Member

I have seen that happen with cheap pads on a car we bought used-they slip out of alignment ,all was good after replacement

30. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

The pad in both pics looks like one piston is pushing more than the other in each individual caliper to me. To the best of my memory I never had a pad that was not completely flat. The fact that I see shaved corners looks like to me the calipers are not applying hydraulic pressure evenly to both piston in those two pots.

31. ihavefat

ihavefat Member

sorry for the late response. I finally got around to it and fixed it.

What you see on the pads is just what the brake fluid leak did..it is very corrosive!

I rebuilt the caliper:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

For some reason, I was still getting a leak. Eventually I learned that it was because I was missing a tiny gasket that you have on top and the bottom of the caliper before you put them back together. I was missing one so I ended up custom making one. Purchased a close sized one from Home depot, cut it, and superglued and make sure it fit flush. No more leak!

[​IMG]

32. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

Nice on fixing but I would not trust a butchered oring esp on my brakes!

33. ihavefat

ihavefat Member

well the oring is actually thicker than the oem. You just have to be careful when you cut it and put it back together so it doesn't leak.