2014 auto cross inquiry

Discussion in 'Meetups & Events' started by kohlby777, Jan 13, 2014.

1. Khionê

Khionê Member

Well we mostly stay in 2nd gear, which might not sound fun, but with the turns your tires will be screaming and it wil be a blast!

2. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

You might hit your rev-limiter in 2nd. Might... The 6-Speed is just a little too short some days. My 2nd is good for about 70ish. I've only hit the limiter once at the Motor Sports Park auto-x. If you do hit the limiter, ride it for a second, you'll be off the throttle quicker then it'll take to shift.

This lot is very slick, heads-up. It's chalky because we haven't used it much. AWD will be the cars to watch for times. Remember, a quick lift-throttle in a turn WILL send your ass around. When in a slide with our cars, give it gas to steer the front wheels in the right direction. If it's going to go around, full brake/clutch. It'll save you from swinging into a light pole. Or course worker.

Side Note: My car will be ready for this weekend. Thanks AP.

3. Khionê

Khionê Member

That's sweet, my will be ready after this weekend :( but I will be driving James STI so I won't be crying to much about not having my car there :). Now I just have to try and keep up with you, James and Miles.

4. kohlby777

kohlby777 Member

I got my Bugeye running again but now I just need to replace the evap system vacuum lines and I think I'll be ready

5. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

Cant be any worse than those bricks at turner... lol

The last event I went to a vette almost got wrapped around a light pole trying to be brave a follow through. Everyone in the lot had a pucker moment... :eek:hnoes:

6. liltoua

liltoua Member

Just signed up in the Street Modified class. I'll be there this Sunday as long as my compression check comes out okay LOL.

7. spsWRX

spsWRX Member

I've signed up for the novice. This will be my first time autocrossing. should be fun!

8. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

Auto cross is always fun!

9. b reel

b reel Active Member

So who's going to pay my way to see a 26yo worn slap out Subaru Justy hit the course? No way of getting the coupe ready and tagged in time for this weekend.

10. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

The Justy might fit into a low class. If you can race a Civic HF, you can race a Justy!

Glad to see so many folks signing up. I know you'll enjoy yourselves out there.

Some more pointers for you guys.
    Bring lots of water, you'll be chasing cones and it'll be almost 70° out.
    You'll be chasing cones, wear appropriate footwear. I ONLY race in high-top Vans. ONLY! You'll want a shoe that has a good rubber sole that you can feel the pedals through. Running shoes (for me) are too thick to race in. I like the way my Vans wrap around the pedals. No fancy Pumas/Pilots needed.
    In the morning, it's always colder and windier then you thought. Bring layers.
    Bring snacks and/or a lunch. There won't be a vendor at the event.
    Please drive slowly/quietly through the neighborhood. This is the first large event we're having here and want to be able to keep coming back.
    Know that you're not going to win this weekend. It's about fun, about learning your car's limits and driving at 99% of that limit.
    Listen to your tires. If they sound like they're screaming in pain, they are, and they're slowing you down. If giving more wheel input isn't tightening your line, try less speed. Open up the wheel a little bit and slow your speed, that's the only way to fix understeer. You don't have to apply brake, just back off the throttle and open the wheel a bit. You'll gather the front wheels quickly this way.
    WRB cars, don't bring BLUE painters tape for your numbers. Use a CONTRASTING color for you numbers. Also, I can't TECH you without numbers/class on your car. You can print out your numbers/class on paper and tape that to your doors, you can make them with painter's tape, just don't use blue on blue. I'll laugh and point and not let you through TECH ;)
    Air up those tires before you get to the event and bring an air gauge. I'll air up my tires tonight to 40psi. When I'm in grid I'll bleed them down to 37 psi front and 38 rear. Each run puts heat in the tires, you'll bleed them after each run. At the end of the day you'll be back down to about 32 psi.
    Tighten ALL your lugs before the event. You can't have any missing lugs to run.
    This is THE biggest reason I can't let people pass TECH, tighten down your battery. If it's loose, you won't pass TECH. I don't care how it's tethered down, but if it moves when I pull on it, I will call you out . :wavey: Sucks, but this is the leading cause of fires at our events.

Anyone have questions about the event itself? I'll try and answer them today. Tomorrow I'll be away from a computer to help.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2014
  11. Millhouse04

Millhouse04 Member

I will be picking mine up tomorrow, so not TNT for me. :|
    I do not see you signed up for sunday
    Hey I cannot help that I left my numbers at home, and all I could get from anyone was blue painters tape :argue: I was even trying for black electrical tape.

See ever one one sunday though :coolugh:

12. Andr3w

Andr3w Member

I'd like to come check this out. Maybe just to watch at first. I'd like to meet you guys and put some names with faces.

13. ApexShift

ApexShift Member

It's free to come and watch and we'll be sure to give you some rides in the cars. It's always a fun time and there is nothing like the first time you ride in a fast car around course. You get out shaking and totally pumped. They may look slower from far away, but being inside the car is a crazy experience. We are all fun loving, chill guys, so feel free to come up and talk. It's not like some fancy car show, we love helping people out and making sure they have a fun time!

14. crazyazn

crazyazn I like naps Staff Member Supporting Member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 4.3; SCH-I545 Build/JSS15J) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/32.0.1700.99 Mobile Safari/537.36)

Well my car isn't ready, but im planning on stopping by with my bro in law and to say hi to you all. Should be a lot of fun

15. WRXappeal

WRXappeal New Member

Is anyone going to the rallycross today?

16. WRXappeal

WRXappeal New Member

Pretty sure there's an autocross in macon tomorrow too.

17. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

I really enjoyed seeing all the WRX/STi's out having fun this weekend. It's nice to put a face with a Sig.
    It was a really fast course. I ended up in 4th. I hit the last cone just before the finish 3 Fing times. That back slalom was just so fun though. You could set-up every throttle point in the dips and just shoot back up and in the direction. I just chose fun over fast and it bit me. Oh well, at least my girl took first with the car ;)

Best time was 44.2 +1 = 46.2

The BRZs going to be challenge to beat going forward. Joey came out showed us why it's in STX.

18. Matto357

Matto357 Crazyazn likes Naps Staff Member

Do you have any ETA at all? I know I don't have to tell you but holy crap it's taking forever. Still in bodyshop hell?

19. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

I was using a buddy's Data Logger on Saturday for the TnT and now I'm hooked. I'm not looking to go all in, yet. I want to start off using my iPhone 5s if I can. I'm not finding anything really. There's a good one for Andriod devises, it's NOT cheap by any stretch, but this is what I'm looking for.
    http://www.petreldata.com/product/solostorm-gps-obd-ii-and-video-logger-for-android-v2-2/
    Anyone have any suggestions? Does anyone use a data logger that tracks your GPS for AX? There's plenty for track days.

20. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

21. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

The biggest correction, you cleaned up by your 4th run. Shorten the track. There are a few elements, that if lined up right are straight shots. The BIG brake element, after the huge fast 180°, is a straight shot going into the other 200° turn. If you didn't brake in time. Which leads me to my second helpful hint, you're a little late braking. Most obvious in the 90° before the final slalom.

Watch your hands in the first video when you're going around the big fast 180°, you turn in, straighten the wheel, then turn back in. Ideally, you want to brake just before you enter, load up the weight on the front wheels, give a bigger turn in input and let the rear go around. Keep a constant throttle input and let the AWD clean up the line. Our cars flatten in the middle of every turn, so if your not over rotating, you'll push mid turn. By the last run, you were trusting the car/driver to handle the rotation. Driver Mod is working ;)

22. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

Ya, I was also getting a feel for my brand new car as well. I've only had it since Nov. and was my first time doing motorsports with, so I am still learning its limits.

My 3rd run was actually my fastest. 48.195 vs my 4th which was 48.2 something. My 4th did feel more correct though.

Thanks for the pointers!

23. spsWRX

spsWRX Member

I definitely had fun on my first autocross, aside from my car acting up a bit. Big thanks to all who helped/coached me! I managed to get 49.927 sec on my 5th run, which I'm really happy with.

24. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

Just an excuse to buy more go fast parts. :naughty:

49 is a solid time for a completely new person autox, good job!

This is your couch.

25. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

True words have never been spoken. I'm still figuring them out myself.

26. spsWRX

spsWRX Member

Haha, have to talk to the wife for the go fast parts :sx:. Thanks again Zack(sp?)! and I assume superdude is James? (sorry, bad memory with names)

27. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

I forget what James' SN is on here, but Superdude was the driver of the Silver WRX that was running in STX. I am TERRIBLE with names and cant remember Superdude's to save my life.

28. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

Randy. :wavey:
    I'm also know as Randall, but there are 2 other Randalls with Team Solo, and one other Randy for that matter. It's all very odd. I made it this far in life with ever meeting another one, and now there's Randalls all around me.

I answer to Superdude.

James is ApexShift

29. liltoua

liltoua Member

Here's some pictures I took of you guys. Sorry The_Duke....I don't know why I missed out on your car. Half of these were taken by me, then the other were my girlfriend haha.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

30. Millhouse04

Millhouse04 Member

I have the factory Dunlops still :sad:
    I have a front strut brace, short shifter, AP (factory boost tables), steering bushings, and shifter bushing.

Those are some great pics liltoua, it almost looks like the front tire are coming off the ground from the launch.

31. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

Thanks for the picts! Nice and flat, I love it. That's really the first photo at speed I've since my coil-overs.

Millhouse, your car is WAY to shiny!!! I definitely hit more cones with my front passenger side.

32. Holc13WRX

Holc13WRX Supporting Member

Who drives the white hatch? Great looking rims! Cool pics. I really hope I am able to come to the next event.

33. spsWRX

spsWRX Member

If you mean the silver one, that's mine. Thanks man!

34. liltoua

liltoua Member

If you guys want bigger pictures PM me. The actual sizes are bigger, but for some reason WRXATL doesn't resize them to be smaller so I just posted a smaller size photo.

35. Millhouse04

Millhouse04 Member

I hit cones, I just know how to drive clean.

I pick up cones more on the backside than the front. You might be a little to aggressive if you tagging them with the front.

36. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

I used to drive on mountains alot so I drive clean because I am not used to be able to make mistakes... lol

Once I get my confidence with my new car back I'll earn my cone killer badge.

37. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

I like that there's a boat behind us. I couldn't NOT look at that stupid thing every time coming out of the fast 180°.

I gave up clay barring my car after the second year. She looks tough with her battle scares :) And I believe that was more us trying not to push out of turns more then early entry. I'd like to say other wise ;)

38. kohlby777

kohlby777 Member

Does anyone have the link to register for the novice event on Saturday?

39. Millhouse04

Millhouse04 Member

40. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

I'm gonna miss it this weekend. But Laraine will be out there with the car and her bother. It'll be funny to watch her beat down her older brother :)

41. ApexShift

ApexShift Member

I'll be out there Saturday and Sunday. I'll be one of the instructors for the Saturday Novice School, hope to see some of you there.

If anyone wants some instruction, just come ask for me personally. My name is James and any regular will know who I am. Or just come find the short guy in the black hat with the '05 STi. I have someone in an M3 who I'm already mentoring, but I know we'll have a few people each.

Hope to see everyone else Sunday. I'm driving in the afternoon, but can coach the afternoon run group I'm not racing for anyone that needs.

42. kohlby777

kohlby777 Member

I'll definitely take you up on that

43. bluedestiny

bluedestiny Supporting Member

I should be there sunday; couldn't make Saturday work [oops]; looking forward to it, as the last and only autox with this car was several years ago, and my base auto x experience is FWD, so I'll look for you

44. kohlby777

kohlby777 Member

Yup I'm addicted

45. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

I came down with a wicked bug this past week. I didnt make it out sunday due to recovery...

How was the course?

46. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

I hear it was a pretty difficult course for AWDs.
    bluedestiny, Laraine and Ron said you came over and talk with them. I think Ron sat with you on a few runs, sounded like you had a good time. Glad you made it out.

47. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

I was at the airport at 7am (dropping off the ladyfriend), but was too tired to drive to stockbridge. I could have driven down and napped in my car until the first car went off :rofl:

I may try to make it out to a turner field one. probably won't drive though.

48. bluedestiny

It was a lot of fun, and having been so long since the last auto-x [2007 Subaru Atlanta Auto X, when the car was totally stock], and now just learning how much different Stage2 complements the current suspension, also, it took all 5 runs to start to feel comfortable with reading the course from the course walk [same as the last time].

I signed up as Novice class so I could get the 5 th run and it was great that Ron, was my mentor, which was really helpful since I have had so little AWD auto x experience [ base experience was 100hp/1800lb FWD vehicles].

Best time was 55.212 which wasn't too bad in my mind considering my first run was 62 something; cant wait to review all 5 runs on my GoPro in detail.

I worked the time slips so I saw Loraine's runs and win with low 50's along with a number of other well prepared Subarus,

Thanks for the advice earlier,

49. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

If you end the day faster, then you started, it's a win!

Yeah, she ended up with a 50.5 for 2nd and the white RX8 finished his last run at 49.8 for 1st. Ron has a spec.B, but he doesn't race it anymore.

I still have issues with my course walks. Walking, I always feel like there's so much room. You think you can get to places on the course you totally can't when driving at speed.

Get into the habit of looking way forward. You're eyes should always be looking at the next gate or beyond. So, when you're driving around town, make it a habit to look around turns and try to straight line pot holes or cracks coming out of the turn. It'll become second nature on course. Another place you can gain a ton of time is to shorten the course. You can enter a turn @ 40mph, but push to the outside of the turn, or enter @ 30 and really push the inside cones. Faster isn't always the most fun :/

50. bluedestiny

Points well made! Lines always look different at speed than when walked. I also realized there were parts of the course I could have watched in addition to those I did watch others run.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2014