Windshield Replacement?

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by Matt, Jan 3, 2014.

1. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

So I came out to the car after work yesterday and saw this:

[​IMG]

On the way to work, it got a little longer...

[​IMG]

Now... what's the best way to go about getting this replaced? OEM through the dealer, or 3rd party such as Safelite/etc.?

KGraska? anyone else?

2. nygiant

nygiant Member

heat/cold cause it? a rock? or evidence of someone bs'ing around your car?

3. Matt

a rock chip that's been hanging out for over a year... now that the car lives in a warmer garage, the temp difference caused the crack from the chip.

4. Matt

I just did a preliminary quote through the safelite website.

There were 2 different windshield types, not entirely sure why though...

[​IMG]

5. J_P

J_P I like pudding pops Supporting Member

Maybe one is for OEM and the other is not? I thought there was somebody that we used to refer to around here. It has been too long since I replaced a windshield to remember the company. If I remember I will post up. I've searching through google hoping it would stand out.

6. b reel

b reel Active Member

With a newer vehicle I'd go with the OEM replacement. the cheaper glass always seems to have a clarity issue... that isn't found till weeks after install. Safelite quoted my dad $300 installed then ended up eating another $900 because the glass was dealer only availability. They learned a valuable lesson on relying on a computer and honored their quote after realizing their mistake.

7. liltoua

liltoua Member

I replaced both my brother and mines with a company called "Binswanger Glass" pretty happy with it...then again I have nothing to compare it to HAHA. I don't think I've ever had an OEM glass in an cars I've owned LOL.

8. outbacksprt

outbacksprt Member

we use three different glass companies at work Matt, and they all come out to us. We've had one replaced for like somewhere in the 200-300 range.. I forgot what on but was cheap.

9. Matt

Thanks dude. I don't want cheap. I want quality.

10. outbacksprt

outbacksprt Member

I never said we didn't have quality he installed OEM Subaru glass

11. KGraska

KGraska Member

Matt, Whatever you do DO NOT use safelite. They usually use their own brand of glass and it's cheap and breaks a lot easier than OEM. It's actually a tad bit thinner to cut on costs.

I have a guy who does the glass for my dealer and his pricing is excellent. He can also get you whichever brand of windshield you want. I've personally watched him do installs on our BMWs and he does quality work and doesn't cut corners. I can probably get it replaced for about half of that safelite quote. He will also come to you.

What brand is your OEM Glass? Do you have a dark tinted shade on the top or is it clear the whole way up? Let me know and I'll get pricing for you.

12. Matt

I went up there and Lydia told me to contact Abra body and glass. Called them and they quoted me a little less OTD than safelight.

13. KGraska

KGraska Member

I also still have my windshield repair kit so if you get anymore chips let me know and I'll fix them for you. I can always bring it to a meet or something. Takes less than 10 mins.

14. bixs

bixs Supporting Member

I went with a safelite, aftermarket windshield in the mini.

had a rain sensor for the windshield wipers too.

very very very happy. I've had so many pebbles hit my window where I thought there would be a nice sized crack... and 90% just bounces off. The rain sensor works perfectly.

I would have preferred OEM, but after having it in probably 40k miles I'd say it's definitely good.

15. slade1274

slade1274 Member

Why aren't you claiming comprehensive on insurance?

16. Matt

Kevin,

The brand of glass is AGC.

Ryan,

I just checked. I thought my comp was $500, but as it turns out, it's only $200. Maybe I'll look into that. Does that have any bearing on my premium?

SoK

17. slade1274

slade1274 Member

It shouldn't. I keep my comprehensives at $100- Always. I've had two busted windshields prior to moving to FL (they cover no cost here) as well as been broken into a couple times- I hate being out more than $100 for something completely out of the realm of my control........

18. KGraska

KGraska Member

My guy can get Pilkington Glass installed for $362. Its gonna be the same glass as OEM but with a different stamp at the bottom, probably made in the same plant.

If you want OEM he said it has to be ordered from the dealer with the moulding as well. If you wanna go this route I can let you use my SoK dealer acct. I need last 9 of your vin to get a price from them. He said about 70$ to install it.

19. 5spdfrk

5spdfrk Active Member

This is what the community is all about!

20. longfury

longfury Active Member

Hey Matt,where did you end up going to get it replaced and how much did it cost? Mine broke this morning.

21. Matt

Ooof. I haven't gotten mine done yet. Will most likely go through KGraska's connection

22. b reel

b reel Active Member

is Pilkington Glass the Subaru OEM supplier? if so their distribution warehouse is/was in Forest Park

23. longfury

longfury Active Member

Yeah, I am going to have to way a couple of weeks to do mine.

24. Matt

the BRZ has AGC glass. My 2012 Outback has different glass. Can't remember the brand.

25. Popsmear

Popsmear Member

Anyway I can get in on this action? Just cracked across the whole windshield this morning. Pilkington Glass for under $400 sounds nice.

26. KGraska

KGraska Member

PM Sent with info

27. longfury

longfury Active Member

As soon as my tax refund comes in, I am going to replace mine.

28. WRXappeal

WRXappeal New Member

I'm dealing with the same thing... I found a place in tucker, ga. That quoted me $165 if I come to them for my STI front glass

29. mattprzy

mattprzy Active Member

The exact same thing happened on my 2002 wrx after the cold. Looks like the same path in the first post. Been taking my time looking for windshield quotes.

30. Matt

Finally called KGraska's contact and he came out yesterday. Wow... it's like a whole new windshield!...oh wait. it is. :p

It took him a little longer than he expected to get the old one out, but he got it out and was very careful with my car.

Big thanks to Kevin for helping me out, and HUGE thanks to Habib for coming out getting me taken care of.

I highly recommend this guy. He's great! Only downside is...he's all alone. When he was working on my car, he got 4 other calls to get work done...and he had 3 other jobs to do yesterday and didn't get done until about 5:30. hard worker for sure!

31. longfury

longfury Active Member

The time has come to replace mine.

What was the best deal you found, Matt? I hate to ask for a hook up, but it would be nice.

32. KGraska

KGraska Member

Matt used my guy, Habib at AG Auto Glass. Call him at 770-755-4453. Tell him Kevin from IQAutos sent you and he'll hook it up.

33. KDean

KDean Member

Just used Habib to replace the windshield in my wife's car through this recommendation. He did a PERFECT job. Excellent service as well - can't recommend him enough. Thank you!

Last edited: Apr 26, 2014
  34. FACE

FACE Active Member

I had a side window replaced that did not get OWN and you can see the waves in the glass

OEM for sure unless there is an upgrade out there