Work Wheels - where?

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by LoveMyNewSoob, Feb 28, 2014.

1. LoveMyNewSoob

LoveMyNewSoob Member

Does anyone know of a good place to order some Work wheels? I have my eye on some (Emotion series), but I am not sure where to oder them from.
    Thanks,

2. crazyazn

crazyazn I like naps Staff Member Supporting Member

i got my volks from ravspec.com, they also carry the work line amongst other brands.

Another company would be evasive motorsports. Basically, for volk and I think work, all the wheels come from Mackin Industries.

3. jchon3

jchon3 Supporting Member

I too got mine from Ravspec.

4. MeFryRice

MeFryRice Member

Mike @ Topspeed can hook you up with a set.

5. LoveMyNewSoob

LoveMyNewSoob Member

Thanks.
    I am looking at the XT-7 in particular. Saw a picture of the silver ones on a silver '08 WRX hatch…and I think those are the ones! :eek:hnoes:

Any thoughts on size and offset for my 09 STi? I am still trying to figure out this aftermarket wheel thing.

6. sikwrx04

sikwrx04 Member

I recently order Work wheels from 3W distrubition a vendor on nasioc.com they were a lot cheaper than Ravspec by almost $140 and they included lug nuts, valve stems and hub rings

7. LoveMyNewSoob

LoveMyNewSoob Member

Thanks. I just looked up the weight of the XT7...almost 27 pounds!!!
    Aren't the stock BBS wheels around 20?
    I may have to rethink this...

8. crazyazn

yeah i think the xd9's at 18x10 are around 24ish also. I think its just inherent with flow casted wheels versus forged and spin forged.

9. LoveMyNewSoob

LoveMyNewSoob Member

Thanks.
    Would the extra weight really make a difference?
    Also, what would everyone suggest size wise for my 09 hatch? I am still trying to figure out wheel/tire fitment...all very new to me. I will track the car probably 2-3 times a year, and in terms of aesthetics, I would like the stance to be a bit wider. This is still my daily driver and will be for a very long time probably.

10. rsutton1223

rsutton1223 Obsessed Supporting Member

18x9.5 +38

11. crazyazn

Honestly unless you were building some dedicated track car where you are trying to reduce as must rotational mass as possible to gain that ever so tiny bit more...probably not.

It sounds like you are pretty much like the majority of us, an enthusiast that commutes and occasionally has some fun with their subaru. Since you are already browsing quality, name brand, structurally tested and certified wheels, I think it would be safe to say 'Go with what you think looks nice for your taste'.

As for sizing, i think 18x9.5 looks great on the GR chassis with nice meety 255 wide tires. I think for you the offset would be +38 at that size but seriously don't quote me on that part.

EDIT: unsprung mass, ugh need coffee

12. LoveMyNewSoob

LoveMyNewSoob Member

Thanks guys for the insight.
    Now, does anyone know where I can make some quick cash to support this ever growing habit!?

13. rsutton1223

Most of us don't talk about the lengths we have gone to support our modding habit. Normally beer and boost help heal the pain and memories.

14. crazyazn

LOOOOOOVEMYNEWSOOOOOOOOOBB

....you don't have to put on the red liiiight

15. Holc13WRX

Holc13WRX Supporting Member

+1 on an answer to this!

I have three tabs open right now with different parts for subie right now :rofl: I've got the addiction!

16. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

Jeff...are you drunk again? :p

17. LoveMyNewSoob

LoveMyNewSoob Member

So 255 35 18 should do the trick?

18. Matt

Use this to figure out the best tire size:

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

Also, if you look at tirerack.com at a tire in the specs you're wanting, it will give you a recommended tire size. Pretty slick.

19. crazyazn

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 4.3; SCH-I545 Build/JSS15J) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/33.0.1750.136 Mobile Safari/537.36)

I think the GR chassis is similar to the GD in that the overall tire diameter should be around 25". So I believe 255 35 18 would fit nicely

20. rsutton1223

265 if you are going hankook. 255 if you are going Michelin. Hit me up. I have been here. ;)

21. LoveMyNewSoob

LoveMyNewSoob Member

Thanks again Rob! I may end up doing that.
    I am kind of enjoying my Bridgestones right now...

22. sikwrx04

sikwrx04 Member

23. LoveMyNewSoob

LoveMyNewSoob Member

24. bullyhatch

bullyhatch Member

You could always email ravspec with those pictures and ask what set up they had to make those work. I just put a deposit on wheels with them and should be getting my wheels in pretty soon! They have been pretty good with answering my questions and gave me free rings, lugs, and caps.

25. LoveMyNewSoob

LoveMyNewSoob Member

The pictures are actually from ravspec. I have found a couple of places that are cheaper and include shipping. I'll have to ask about the rings lugs and center cap though.

26. crazyazn

I agree with talking with ravspec, I wouldn't be surprised if they price match and/or help you out with rings/center cap. Mark was super nice and really knowledgeable about offsets and caliper clearances.

27. LoveMyNewSoob

LoveMyNewSoob Member

Cool. I am waiting on a couple more price quotes and then will see what everyone says.

Rob, or anyone else, any thoughts on size for some Bridgestone RE760 Sports on these? Those are what I have on the stock BBS right now and have enjoyed them. They are still ranked at the top of the Ultra High Performance category on Trie Rack. I don't think I will ever get near the 168mph speed rating.

Thanks again everyone!

28. crazyazn

Yeah I'm definitely not pushing ravspec, just hope someone hooks you up with the centercaps (i feel all brands grossly overcharge for them when not included).
    I think tirerack had a sale on bridgestone pole positions, I had read good reviews on those. Regardless of tire brand/model, I would check the section width data on tire rack so you can possibly optimize your width if that is what you are going for.
    Since michelin pss's and starspecs run somewhat wide that may help you gauge if you need to go up to a 265 vs a 255 for that tire to maintain a nice sidewall.

29. LoveMyNewSoob

LoveMyNewSoob Member

Thanks man. As stated earlier, I am still trying to wrap my head around the tire size/wheel fitment thing, so I appreciate your feedback.
    I am a little confused too as to why center caps wouldn't just be included…I guess it's another way for them to make money. Is there enough market for people to add different center caps to make them not include them in a wheel purchase?

30. Matt

center caps aren't really necessary...sometimes they're just that ugly and the car looks better without them. I opted not to get the center caps on the RPF1's as it looks better without them. ;)

31. crazyazn

i agree with matt, center caps are totally not necessary, its just a cosmetic thing these days. Sure if we were in the salt belt I suppose one can argue corrosion protection, but I don't know how much of a factor it really is.

i still think as Robb stated for a 18x9.5 you will want to be in the 255/265 range to be safe and functional

32. LoveMyNewSoob

LoveMyNewSoob Member

Good point. Well, they should still come with them so you can decide once you have them on… :)

33. LoveMyNewSoob

LoveMyNewSoob Member

Safe and functional is what I want/need. This things gotta last me!!

34. sikwrx04

sikwrx04 Member

Yeah 3W distribution communication is awesome, always responded to my pm within minutes, gave me free Muteki SR48 lugs, valve stems, hub rings...i didn't ask for the Caps since they are way over priced..and i think the XD9's will look better without the caps anyways....just got my tires in today...gotta wait another 2 weeks for the wheels since they were back ordered =(

35. LoveMyNewSoob

LoveMyNewSoob Member

Yup, they said they are running a deal right now with all that you mention above. What color rims and lugs did you go with?

I have found some other links to some STis with the same XT-7, and they are probably going to make me pull the trigger sooner than I expected on these. One of them had the 18x9.5 with 245/40 on them. Looked pretty nice. So, now I can't decide on tire size… :squint:

36. sikwrx04

sikwrx04 Member

I got White wheels, with blue valve stems, and lugs

37. LoveMyNewSoob

LoveMyNewSoob Member

Looks like I am leaning toward the Bridgestone re760 sports or the S-04 pole position.
    Will I have issues with either on the xt-7 18x9.5 +38?
    Will everything be fine for the occasional track day?
    Thanks again!
    Forgot to add 255/35 18 :)

Last edited: Mar 13, 2014
  38. Matt

S-04's are great and tire rack has them on closeout right now. Pick some up while they still have them!

39. LoveMyNewSoob

LoveMyNewSoob Member

That's the plan!
    So will there be any figment issues or any other surprises?

40. LoveMyNewSoob

LoveMyNewSoob Member

Well, bad news on my power steering issue might have this little project on hold. :wtc:
    Thanks everyone for the info you have you provided.