Jake's New 04 Pontiac GTO

Discussion in 'Member Journals & Project Build Stories' started by Jake, Mar 25, 2014.

1. Jake

Jake Active Member

Well, I told myself I'd never buy a domestic, and was set on buying another member's 330ci. But in the end, I got a deal too good to pass up on this, and he was local. I am loving having torque again!
    Here are the specs:
    Bone Stock M6 Transmission with 69k on the clock. Needs a minor Maaco paint touch up (previous owner ran it alongside something and attempted to cover it up, no damage, just paint issues), but it's honestly not something that bothers me much.

Plans:
    Had an SLP Loudmouth Exhaust on order, but cancelled due to backorder. Now looking for a reputable local shop to build me a custom 3" catback.

Longtube Headers (debating brands, and doing research now)

Short Shifter (needs new shift boot due to stock leather dried up/tightens during shifting)

Had plans to purchase new Camaro RS wheels (required centers to be bored out), but the owner decided not to sell. So more than likely painting/plasti-dipping the stockers. Also considering the Factory 18"s from a friend's 06 GTO.

K&N Intake

Looking at tuners, but that will come after headers

Most I'll probably do with this is a mild cam as it's going to be my DD for my 2mile commute each day (when I'm not on the bike).

The stock suspension itself is actually pretty decent, its all the supporting parts that suck. So looking at bushings, sways, and already ordered new tie rods as the factory ones are toast.

Have slotted/drilled rotors and new pads on the way, front rotors are warped.

The tint sucks, so that will get replaced.

And slowly replacing all the interior lighting with LED.

[​IMG]

I know, I'm not a great picturer. I'll take more eventually.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2014
  2. slade1274

slade1274 Member

If it makes you feel better, it's less domestic than most imports..... Motor is US, all else was Australian. Had one back in 04- great car for what it is.

3. rsutton1223

rsutton1223 Obsessed Supporting Member

Another LS car on the boards. It's spreading like a disease. Congrats! Welcome to reliable modding power. IMO that is one of the few cars that Pontiac actually got right. Probably because it is based off of the V8 Australian cars.

4. ChrisW

ChrisW Member

I really like these, congrats. Is it the 5.7 or the 6.0?

5. Holc13WRX

Holc13WRX Supporting Member

It says 04' which would mean it is the 5.7.

6. b reel

b reel Active Member

needs a BDS 6-71 mod

7. crazyazn

crazyazn I like naps Staff Member Supporting Member

congrats man!

8. mokinbird87

mokinbird87 Active Member

congrats! I seriously considered a used C6 before jumping into the BRZ... I dont think you`re alone on this forum for the need for more torque (says the guy with a BRZ)

9. Jake

Jake Active Member

Yeah definitely missed the torque. Yeah it's the 5.7l 350hp. Pretty sure I'm going to plastidip the wheels black (with the gloss coating) while they're off for brakes tomorrow night. Should be interesting.

10. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

Nice car man....I've always like them. How well does the 6MT hold up to power?

11. slade1274

slade1274 Member

As bulletproof as any

12. Holc13WRX

Holc13WRX Supporting Member

First thing I would do to that car is throw a short shifter in. I have drivin a couple of the 6.0s and they have rediculously long throw shifters in them...

13. slade1274

slade1274 Member

And the skip shift module if it doesn't have it already.

14. Jake

Jake Active Member

about to order that as we speak already had the 1-4 lockout like 10 times

15. Jake

Jake Active Member

[​IMG]
    plastidipped wheels. little bit of touch ups to do, but im liking it. currently the car is on jack stands with the wheels off and brakes apart getting new rotors, caliper's painted, and new pads/fluid.

16. b reel

b reel Active Member

wish you could get the VZ bumper cover and/or hood on it then debadge it

17. Jake

Jake Active Member

18. bixs

bixs Supporting Member

awesome!

19. jp233

jp233 Member

I really liked the GTO when they came out. Looks aren't so flashy that it made for a good sleeper. I was really happy they put the LS2 in there in the later versions. I had a co-worker that had one, with some goodies on it, man that thing hauled. I remember the A/C and radio controls seemed backwards - still the "down undah" RHD like.

I would love to find a wrecked GTO or something like it and put the drivetrain (amongst other things) into a Legacy or Outback. I've seen some videos of one or two already (I think one was an LS1, but whatever). Wagging the tail of a RWD Leg/Outback would be sweet.

Would be more of a sleeper without the big wing and the turbo hood:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79o0-gqqUVI

20. impreza

impreza Member

it looks nice with the black wheels