Photography: Wrx movie project

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by eightbum, Apr 3, 2014.

1. eightbum

eightbum New Member

Hey Gents.. I have this vision of making a professional level video of cruising the streets of Atlanta set to some good music. I would like to pretty much cover most of the iconic streets and areas downtown. More or less a I was thinking of rigging some go pros on some sort of piping(PVC?!) running it through the trunk lid probably be like 3-4 feet above the car, including also shots from the side of the street and dash cameras. Anyone done anything like this or have any input of Go-Pro rigs that are useful? Anyone wanna help?!

2. Eco Auto Clean

Eco Auto Clean Active Member

Awaiting Sutton and Lings reply! I would like to join if you're doing a group cruise!

3. Enzo

Enzo Supporting Member

I'd be down for joining in. I have my gopro and haven't shot to much with the subaru.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. eightbum

eightbum New Member

Just throwing out some ideas.. I think a really cool shot would be maybe 3-4 cars cruising down 75 South past Tech with the sun setting. Cut between GO-Pro shots and transition into a shot taken from somebody on the 14th or 17th street bridges to film from above(Or Both?!). Maybe a scene with some boosting down West Paces Ferry in those twisty roads by the Governor's Mansion and some cruising through Buckhead at night.

5. b reel

b reel Active Member

good idea, this site needs more community outings besides the usual dinner meet. Now go watch Grand Prix for camera mount ideas. I bet you could get a whole other movie just from the out take footage laying on the editing room floor. Shame that was shot 48 freaking years ago

6. Holc13WRX

Holc13WRX Supporting Member

I'm in for this. I've got a dslr we can use as well. Maybe for some long exposure shots at night or something. Let me know if you want to make this happen

7. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

ive been looking for an excuse to get back into shooting. let me know more details

8. b reel

b reel Active Member

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned, don't mount your boom to the windshield... bad things happen

9. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

Boom mic? Why would you do that anyways unless you wanted to record wind noise?

10. b reel

b reel Active Member

hint, parking deck

11. sikwrx04

sikwrx04 Member

My friend and I, made this video on my wrx with a DSLR, and 3-4 go pro last year!! We also made a PVC dolly track that we could use again!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKFqJy-xRxw

P.S. it was our first time creating a video like this so don't expect much hahaha

Last edited: Apr 4, 2014
  12. Drewsky75

Drewsky75 New Member

I would love to take part in this, if not I'd love to see it lol

13. Mad Mallard

Mad Mallard the mad mallard

sounds fun.

musicians, composers, video editors, report in.

14. Holc13WRX

Holc13WRX Supporting Member

Oh yeah... I forgot about this.

Are you still wanting to do this?

15. Mad Mallard

i bet, but lots of rain probably hampered

16. eightbum

eightbum New Member

I am currently going through a nasty separation/custody battle.. I am 100% about making this project happen. I need a few weeks to get my situation under control, then I will be able to start planning and organizing this.

17. Mad Mallard

18. Mad Mallard

hope the kids are doing ok...

19. impreza

impreza Member

it i was pretty good for a first time and the car looked really good

20. digitizedsoul

digitizedsoul Moderation is a vice Supporting Member

i am a musician / composer / producer. I can compose original music for the video if needed.

21. Millhouse04

Millhouse04 Member

Sounds like a fun time. I have some experience mounting POV cams to cars for autocross events; see some of the videos here. As you can see some are better than others. One thing I have found is a good quality suction cup mount or the GoPro adhesive mounts work the best (less vibration).

Last edited: May 8, 2014
  22. Redmondson27

Redmondson27 New Member

I am down to participate. we should have more group get togethers and ride together. and/or take over many various parking lots around the city. hah. I'm down let me know!

23. Wycked304

Wycked304 New Member

I would definitely be interested in participating as well. Let me know of any developments!! :eek:hnoes:

24. Redmondson27

Redmondson27 New Member

Would anyone like to get together this weekend and start on this? I'm down for the whole weekend. I'm open. Shoot me a message! I'm on the westside anyways.

25. Redmondson27

Redmondson27 New Member

I have 720P Video and Audio lenses worn in the form of sunglasses that can record in car experience, and I also have a Canon camera, great on burst shot. but GoPro's are the best so far.

26. suomi82

suomi82 Member

If you want a bugeye in your video I would love to participate. This weekend is too short of a notice though, formula D on saturday and mothers day on sunday. Friday would be good though.

27. Al.SpecB

Al.SpecB Member

I have a go pro as well. I'm down to mount it up on my car and shoot some videos of some Subies driving around. Whenever we can get a group together sometimes this coming week would be great. When would be a good night for everyone to meet up??

Last edited: May 9, 2014
  28. Mad Mallard

is there a list of filming locations already? has there been a scouting day scheduled or something?

29. Mad Mallard

^^^ cuz that alone sounds like a fun idea for a meet/cruiz to me. finding rural, suburb and urban routes and locations to shoot at

30. suomi82

suomi82 Member

This friday or saturday anyone?

31. Mad Mallard

actually, maybe we could/should brainstorm scouting areas here so we can formulate some fun plans.

for example, there's this bridge over 400 on Hammond Dr they finished last year I think would be cool for a static drive by night shot.

maybe throw out some other ideas like that, everyone?

32. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

Sounds like a cluster. Someone needs to step up into a producer roll and call the shots and a small group help plan it. I dont think there is a solid "cast" of people that have committed to being in this project.

I'd be willing to help but all of my free time is going into getting my car back on the road.