Tail light overlay install

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by Bgh318, May 14, 2014.

1. Bgh318

Bgh318 New Member

Hey guys... I just picked up some tail light overlays for my wrx and was wondering if anyone on here was any good at installing these or if you guys knew of a place that could install them for me?

I tried to do a set of tail lights back when I had an s2000 and I messed them up pretty bad so I figure this go round I would just have them installed. I figure I can go to a tint shop but just wanted to check to see if anyone around here had any other suggestions.

Thanks!

2. slade1274

slade1274 Member

Same thing happened to me.... and I ended up buying a roll of the stuff (still have a bunch). A heat gun is a must as well as patience. It will be tough to find a tint guy that can do a better job than you as it is a skill that isn't practiced much.

Also, take them off the car. Much easier to get the beneficial angles.

3. Bgh318

Bgh318 New Member

I just emailed a vinyl wrap shop to see if they could do it for me. Here's hoping. I really don't want to do this myself since I messed up so bad last time lol

4. nik_05STi

nik_05STi Member

I'm in the same situation. I got a role of Mercedes Benz smoked tint, but don't want to try and do it myself if I eff it up

5. slade1274

slade1274 Member

Don't fear the DIY…. many times the "pros" don't do as good of a job as you will yourself as standards vary.

DIY job…. an the guys that saw it in person can attest that the quality was at least on par with the best "pro" jobs they had seen. And I had no special skills or experience- just the desire and guts to try.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I won't sugar coat things, the side lights in the rear are a real challenge on the GD because of the contours and hump in the middle. The transparent vinyl is more challenging to work with due to thickness and wet application requirement, but anyone with a heat gun (or a lesser effective hair dryer) CAN do it.

6. Bgh318

Bgh318 New Member

[​IMG]
    Well I can tell which vinyl install guy not to use... :sulk:

Last edited: May 27, 2014
  7. LoveMyNewSoob

LoveMyNewSoob Member

This is what it looked like when you got it back from the vinyl shop you called?!!?!? :eek3:

8. Aggregate

Aggregate Member

I used Oasis tint in Lawrenceville but honestly if I had to do it again, i'd just take them off and paint them.

9. Bgh318

Bgh318 New Member

Yes... I just stopped them after this. I'll try it myself and see what happens. I can't possibly do any worse :lol:

edit: obviously I didn't have them trim it or anything like that since it looked so terrible and that's the best they could do. But yeah... not super pleased.

Last edited: May 27, 2014
  10. LoveMyNewSoob

LoveMyNewSoob Member

wow...i think i will take a quote from sir charles...that's turrable.