Doug's soon to be EPIC BRZ build..

Discussion in 'Member Journals & Project Build Stories' started by Doug@DBW Motorsports, Jan 18, 2014.

1. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

My coworker and Shringles paid $32k for theirs....markup?

2. Tperk90

Tperk90 Member

damn major mark up...my limited was 28k too. Of course depending on time of purchase and miles

3. digitizedsoul

digitizedsoul Moderation is a vice Supporting Member

4. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

Granted both got special warranty coverage and all but we are getting way off topic now so I'm going to quit on that subject.

Doug boost that thing on. How much bigger is the GT30R turbo than the Greddy one power wise? Looking for 400 hp?

5. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

Isn't there an FA20 in the new forester XT?

6. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

mine was with tax and other add ons like the rear underspoiler and extended warranty. :) I didn't have any other markup

7. Doug@DBW Motorsports

Doug@DBW Motorsports Active Member

Sticker on my 2014 limited was 29.2k but I ended up paying 26.9k which was way under invoice and got a free 6 year extended warranty.. Lol. Perks I guess

Last edited: Feb 6, 2014
  8. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

FA20 is also in the new WRX....

9. Andrew@BallEngine

Andrew@BallEngine New Member

Lookin good Doug!

10. dwx

dwx Member

Looks good. I need to get the rest of my STX crap installed so I can head over for a tune.

Some speculate the VE drop in the low-mid range has to do with designing the car to have decent low-end torque at like 2500RPM for every day driving and then again at 4200RPM to redline, based on the cams/cam timing/etc. That's the optimist view. :) That's on a stock car, putting a header on and opening up the exhaust or an E85 tune can help eliminate it.

The FA20DIT in the FXT/WRX was developed in parallel with this engine, but it's quite a bit different apart from being a 2L engine. The NA FA20 uses Toyota's DI system and the FA20DIT is all Subaru. It doesn't have port injection like the FA20. The addition of the port injectors definitely makes it easier to add more fuel, to date no one has come out with a replacement DI injector. DI helps with fuel economy and keeping detonation away, it's a 12.5:1 CR motor.

I paid $27.5K for my BRZ in June of 2012 when it first came out, it's a lot cheaper than a STI...

These motors seem to respond really well to turbos.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2014
  11. Tperk90

Tperk90 Member

Any Updates?

12. digitizedsoul

Can't believe you wanted to paint that trunk doug. The carbon fiber would look so good against that red.

Now that texas is behind ya'll, no scuses!

13. slade1274

slade1274 Member

'cept OLOA.....

14. bullyhatch

bullyhatch Member

Managed to see this car on Saturday and WOW its a beast!

15. dwx

dwx Member

What has been done to it?

16. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

Knowing Doug turbo'd and pushing powa.

17. WRboXer

WRboXer Active Member

Doug's got a pretty interesting setup on his. 30r, non intercooled, 10-12 psi if i recall correctly from our conversation, running e85. I think he said it was at the 400whp range, really really cool.

18. digitizedsoul

now water to air intercooled.
    well over 500.

i'll let him tell you though (if he ever does lol)

19. dwx

dwx Member

I would certainly be interested in seeing the water-to-air IC system. I purchased a JDL turbo kit and it should be here next week but I'm not looking to install it for some time and still want to look at some other options.

20. impreza

impreza Member

thats a nice looking red do you know what the colors is?

21. Doug@DBW Motorsports

I know I have been slacking on updating this thread so I will do my best to get everyone up to speed.

Current mods :

-TSM GTX3076 EQL 1.5scroll turbo kit
    -TSM quick pipe liquid to air intercooler
    -TSM 3" over/front pipe
    -TSM twin pump in tank fuel system with internal surge tank
    -TSM 1050cc injectors
    -Fuel Labs adjustable FPR
    -Amuse carbon trunk
    -STI front lip
    -Greddy Multi Da gauge
    -Tomei 80mm titanium catback
    -Omni 3bar
    -Delco AIT sensor
    -Ecutek RaceRom - TSM tuned with many custom maps and features
    -Enkie 18x9.5 +38 RPF1
    -245/35/18 Michelin PSS
    -ACT Street disc with HDD pp
    -PWR AWIC heat exchanger
    -Bosch IC water pump
    -cRAWFOrd AOS
    -JRZ COMP 2ways w/remotes cans
    -DEI turbo blanket and heat wrap
    -BREMBO brake kit front and rear (not installed yet)

I think thats about it as far as mods go for now, I maybe forgetting something. Right now the car is making 440whp @ 14psi and 530whp @ 18psi both on E85. I don't know what the car makes on just 93oct as I have never filled the tank up with it. Lol... as soon as that free gas tank from the dealer was done I changed the oil and filled her up with E85 and never looked back. :eek:hnoes:

Here are a few pic I just snapped quality sux... maybe I can get Rob to take a few real pics some day.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. Doug@DBW Motorsports

I will get the dyno graphs up when I get to the shop later.

23. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

Wow that's awesome Doug. I'm guessing you removed the filter to show the ATW intercooler better?

24. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

Does your dog actually fit in the BRZ?

25. Doug@DBW Motorsports

No :(

Also forgot to add motor is bone stock except a set of Kelford valve springs

26. Doug@DBW Motorsports

Actually haven't had time to finish everything and build the intake

27. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

Are the stock springs a weak link?

28. dwx

dwx Member

Very cool, was still planning to stop by tomorrow to check it out in person.

29. slade1274

slade1274 Member

Curious as to the "budget range" for what a build like this would run.....

30. Doug@DBW Motorsports

Really depends on what kind of parts you choose to use.. but this is a close breakdown of whats on mine.

Power mods and a clutch would be around $6500 parts only.

The JRZ Comp 2ways are $5875, then add in adjustable bushings and misc suspension bits for another $550. Complete set of used STi brembos with lines pads $1000.

Finally the looks department--- wheels, tires, front lip, trunk are roughly another $3000

Total = $16,925 'ish

Obviously it could be done for less....

31. Doug@DBW Motorsports

Yes for FI and high rpms

32. WRboXer

WRboXer Active Member

How many miles on the FI setup so far man? Still liking the FA so far? Love the story of this little motor.

33. slade1274

slade1274 Member

That was an almost perfect summary for me Doug!

Just contemplating what my next project will be- BRZ to mod or wait for that new M2. I doubt I would go as far as you did with the suspension- upgraded shock/strut and springs would probably suffice for me, but the power mods look very interesting. Strict E85 would be tough for me, but I also think 350whp would be sufficient- by your numbers that may be doable on 93 pump.

34. Doug@DBW Motorsports

I just cracked 2500miles total on the car. 1500 of those have been FI.

35. Doug@DBW Motorsports

Yea... I actually had swift springs on my stock struts at first and it was fine. I think on 93octane which I am going to tune it on soon should make 380ish

36. Doug@DBW Motorsports

Dyno numbers are just that... so this morning I decided to take a spin with the Vbox running and get a 60-130 time. FWIW I have no idea what the stock BRZ will run 60-130mph but I imagine it would be SLLLLOOOOWW like 15-20 seconds if not more.

Anyhow... on my daily high map I was able to run 7.33 second 60-130. Pretty sure with more boost and some sticky tires I can get the brz down into the 6.9 range. Very impressive for an otherwise stock motor.

STOCK GTR RUNS 9.4 60-130 fwiw

vbox
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 21, 2014
  37. Doug@DBW Motorsports

few more shit pics I had on my phone of the header build...

Crappy cell phone pics I took with it all tacked .. but you get the idea
    [​IMG]
    and photo bomb of the revworks header being used to back purge :)
    [​IMG]

38. dwx

dwx Member

I talked with Mike the other day and took a look at the car when you were busy. Definitely a cool setup. Liike I said on my PM on the other forum oddly enough my old WRX top-mount AWIC would fit with the setup with some minor tweaking of the inlet/outlet and of course new brackets. I have some reservations about AWIC but it might not be nearly as bad with the core sitting away from the heat versus directly on top of the engine. I even mocked up my old heat exchanger and it would work on the BRZ as well. I used to use a 2 gallon Igloo cooler with quick disconnect fittings mounted in the trunk for a reservoir. I had two of them so I could swap them between autocross runs...

However the JDL kit I've currently got moves the turbo over to the right too much, I would need a header like the one you are using to keep the turbo in the middle. Any chance of you guys making/selling the hot parts? (header and down pipe/overpipe)

Last edited: May 22, 2014
  39. transition

transition New Member

I had to create an account just to say incredible work Doug.

40. integroid

For the right amount of money I am sure he would sell you the shirt off of his back. Anything can be done for the right price:)

41. dwx

dwx Member

Haha of course. Mike alluded that there wouldn't be a "TopSpeed" turbo kit for the BRZ and I don't really blame them, the market is flooded with both good and bad kits at this point.

42. integroid

If topspeed doesnt have the time to build you the hot pipes, PM me and I can send you to someone that can.

43. Brock Samson

Brock Samson Member

Very nice work, as usual, Doug. Car definitely looks mean!

44. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

So is it officially built motor time and some serious boost (10-12 more psi)?