Welcome to LeafAtlanta

Discussion in 'LeafAtlanta' started by FTZ, May 30, 2014.

1. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

This thread is a long time in the making, but due to recent events, I felt the time was right.

To those of you who made it to Formula Drift, you probably heard me preaching. To those that made it to Face and Kings birthday party, you definitely heard me preaching.

In December, I decided to get myself a new car. I went back and forth, trying to decide what beater car or truck to get. Throughout my search I had come to the determination I wanted to spend under $5000. I searched high and low for a used Tacoma in decent condition, and could not find anything in my range.

Getting frustrated trying to find a truck that fit my needs, I started looking elsewhere, and ended up reading slickdeals about the Nissan Leaf, and decided to jump on it.

I am now daily driving a 2013 Nissan Leaf S with Quick Charge package for a total of $6818 over two years in lease payments, but I also received a $5000 tax credit for driving an all electric car. So that now becomes $1818 out of pocket over 2 years, or $76 a month.

Since getting my Leaf, over 6 months, I have put gas in my Subaru once, so I am saving at least $120 a month in gas, since I work from home and don't have a daily commute.

I pay about $1 a day to charge the car, and my insurance to add another vehicle to my policy went up about $200 a year.

I have been preaching this deal everywhere I go, and in the past week, two friends, and members here, followed my lead and leased a Leaf. I am sure they will check in soon.

To anyone that has paid off their Subaru, or anyone looking for a daily driver or beater car, that can make do with approximately 80 miles a day, get a LEAF. While the tax credit is still in play, and while they are dealing on the car, take advantage. This deal is too good to pass. Lease a Leaf for 2 years (and only 2 years) and drive for next to nothing, or get paid to drive for the 2 years, and let the Subaru become the weekend fun car you always wanted it to be.

For anyone interested in the driving experience of the Leaf, go test drive it. You will be surprised. 0-40 is actually fun, and will put a smile on your face. And the silence. Driving on the highway, all you hear is a little road noise and wind noise. Other than that, you could hear a pin drop at highway speeds.

I Will say this again, take advantage of this deal. Once this tax credit goes away, electric cars will not be worth it. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me.

I hope to see a lot more WRXatlanta Leafs on the road in the near future. Maybe we can all do a similar mod so we stand out from the million other Leafs on the roads around Atlanta.

2. nygiant

nygiant Member

Ok you've got me interested...
    However, the 80 miles a day might be a push for me...When I go into work, its a 80-90 mile round trip.
    Care to provide the link?

3. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

4. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

The link Matt provided is the original deal. They aren't quite doing that deal, but are offering a $1000 off the sv and sl models, bringing them down in price to around $300 a month.

At your work, do you have a place to be able to plug in and charge? If you have access to a standard 110 volt outlet, you can charge during work, and be within the range.

5. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

They loaned me a Leaf when I was having some warranty work done on my Frontier. I was pleasantly surprised with it. How long does it take to fully charge it on a low battery with a 110v outlet?

Timing is bad in regards to the tax credit.....it'll be next year before you can get it. Unless you do that thing where you redo your taxes...forgot the term for it (amend?).

6. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

If you have the 6.6 kW charger, standard in sv and sl models, from zero to full charge is 15 hours. If you have the 240 quick charger, it is about 6 hours.

I agree, timing is bad for tax credit. But, if you buy now, you are grandfathered in to the tax credit. If they decide to cancel that credit at the end of the year, you will still get the full credit if you leased prior to them canceling the credit. I paid out of pocket for 4 months until I got my return, and the car is no longer costing me out of pocket for the next 18 months.

I would suggest waiting till the end of year, but they might not be dealing on the car then, so it may not be worth it. If you can afford the out of pocket payments until April of next year, you will get all your money back. Is it worth the risk to wait, or better to jump on the deal now?

Last edited: May 30, 2014
  7. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

Very attractive option for GA residents. And to answer that question you have already stated above....if you can afford it, it's a no brainer!

8. ChrisW

ChrisW Member

9. FACE

FACE Active Member

I'm a member too :)

10. longfury

longfury Active Member

Interesting. Too bad I drive 25-30K miles a year.

11. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Active Member

Bye Bye Scion. I have been waiting to do this.

12. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

You sir, are one of the people I specifically had in mind when posting this.

13. FACE

FACE Active Member

I have to say this is one of the most fun small power cars I have ever driven. Even though the range is low you might be able to find a plug in your parking deck to grab a charge while you work.

I also have to say it makes driving the STi a bit more fun when it's not your daily driver!

Thanks Jason for all the info and insight!

I would also suggest looking into USSA if you have a family member that is a member or has served in the military.

Now go leaf it up!

14. J_P

J_P I like pudding pops Supporting Member

Make like a tree!!

15. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Active Member

Gotta do something to off set the mileage in the Mercedes.

I would have done it a while ago but the car isn't very attractive. The price compensates for that though.

Another alternative is the Fiat 500e but it is a little small and as a two door with a soon to be 16 year old the insurance will surely be higher.

16. FACE

FACE Active Member

Mike I think you would be surprised how much room the Leaf actually has. This was one of my concerns as well. Its not the largest but has sufficient space.

17. pEd

pEd This ain't no Piccadilly!

I'm a member of the "Damn, that's a fugly car, but tell me about anyways" club as well.
    I leased one Thursday and have been very happy with it thus far.

Things I've learned:
    1) It's ugly
    2) In the 24 hours I've owned it, I've had 6 neighbors ask me about it - 4 of them drove it
    3) It's a crap drive - but not having to stop at the gas pump more than makes up for it.
    4) If you drive it more than FTZ does, you WILL need a Level 2 charger

The lease price and the tax credit goes a LONG way to making this a damn good deal.
    The SV model (maybe the SL model) has a $1000 extra credit on it for the month of May and it makes the SV model a better deal than the S model.

18. RoMe

RoMe Active Member

Yeah I would join this club if I could. Im kind of ashamed to admit it but when I drove FTZ's Leaf I actually enjoyed it. We have a 2 car garage and no additional parking space that's what kept us from joining the club but if I could I would.

19. FACE

FACE Active Member

''' nice try my leaf sits outside. I do have an overhang to charge if it's raining...without lightning of course.

:)

20. slowwrx

slowwrx Supporting Member

Its a pretty attractive deal, I'm having a hard time finding a reason not to. At less than $100 a month out its not a bad deal just for running around town.

21. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

damn.

we have the real deal chargers at work also...

22. FACE

FACE Active Member

^^^ don't you get the app to drive it with also ;)

23. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

Who cares what it looks like when you are driving practically free and can pay for the pimp mobile on the side?

24. pankopp

pankopp Member

I've been looking at the lease deals for about 6 months. Each time I read up on it makes more and more sense.

What do you do for your home charging? Do you have a EVSE installed or are you simply using the 110v trickle charge cord each night?

Any regrets on going with the S instead of the SV or SL? Where did you end up getting your lease from? I have hear good things about Town Center and Auto Nation.

25. b reel

b reel Active Member

Kind of stupid to use the 110v as it takes more power to recharge. Most homes will have a 240v circuit used for the clothes dryer which is usually a 30A draw where the 240v charger only draws 16A. Only drawback is you won't be able to dry clothes and charge the car at the same time if using the same circuit.

26. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

the power consumption is the same. either 3.3 or 6.6 kW. it will cost the same to charge either way.

27. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

I don't think that's accurate.....charges are based off of kilowatts used. It may take longer but you aren't using any more power. Length of time is not part of the equation.

28. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

the thing that worries me is if the legislation eliminates the tax credit for 2015 and beyond.

looks like they were trying to get it done this year but ran out of time before the session ended, but since it's a one time credit it's a no brainer for now

so you could wait later in the year until the new models are released, maybe negotiate a better deal and float the payments until the tax credit is paid out to you for 2014 filing. this is of course dependent on how much you spend on gas, etc.
    edit: misconception

Last edited: Jun 2, 2014
  29. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

I trickle charge off the 110 for now. I work from home so for a daily basis I am fine. I can easily go a day without having to drive.

I don't have any regrets. The point was to go as cheap as possible. With that said, after seeing Peds SV, I am envious of: cruise control, radio with Bluetooth music, alloy wheels that make an ugly car less ugly, but still hideous, and the carwings app and all that comes with it.

I would happily save $10 less dollars a month for the comforts above and still drive for next to nothing for 2 years. SV to SL, I can't answer for. Need to get Face - SL, Ped - SV, and I -S, all together to compare side by side by side, but surely, someone would not have enough charge to get home after.:rofl:

I got mine from Town Center. Ped got his a Regal. All the dealerships seemed to have something. I know we were looking at Stone Mountain for Ped's but when he went to the much closer Regal, they were happy to match the price.
    Tax credit was approved for this year. It will be available till at the very least, the end of the year. As long as you make a deal before 2015, you are grandfathered in on the credit, so if they decide 1/1/2015 not to renew for next year, your lease paperwork shows leased before, and you will get the credit on you next return.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2014
  30. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

Longer charge length technically should not cost more, unless you do a peak/off peak electric plan. If the length of time to charge runs more into peak hours, it will cost more. When I called GA Power about variable rates, they said it only applied to summer months, and really was not worth switching to at the time.

31. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

usually peak billing is from 2-7pm in the summer months, but not sure if this applies to residential.

jason, what kind of rates did you see on your lease? not yours specifically, but what was the dealer offering? the slickdeals thread had in the mid to low 200s

if it helps, I'm eligible for VPP with nissan through work

32. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

why is the ford focus EV so much more expensive with their leasing options?

33. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

I really wish they had a better range for country folk like myself. 150-200 range would be PERFECT. I could do a Leaf now since I commute 50 miles but if I ever had to pickup my son at daycare or run errands I'll be pushing it very close.

34. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

I dont think the tax credit applies to you....I thought it was only a GA tax credit?

35. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

It doesn't but does not mean that the vehicle isn't an attractive option. I have a credit here in SC that would apply though....not as much as GA but still a credit.

36. integroid

I know this might be a stretch but has anyone looked at the Mitsubishi EV car? They are only $22k retail so I am wondering what kind of lease options they would offer with one. Might actually get paid for driving one after the tax credit.

37. b reel

b reel Active Member

Don Jackson doesn't even carry them anymore

38. integroid

Well considering they didnt have a 2013 model and re-released it in 2014, that doesnt surprise me. All the mitsu dealers around me have less than 20 new cars on the lot. Looks like only one dealer in Metro Atlanta has them in stock right now.

39. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

the credit would be less, since it's 20% of the agreed value or 5k, whichever is less. $22k lease would net you $4400 in credit, or $183/month for a two year lease

40. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Active Member

Also it is just a credit.

Say you only pay 3k in state taxes then you will only be able to apply 3k. Even if your lease qualified for 5k. The other 2k cannot be carried over to the next year. So if you make more you save more.

The credit is up to $5k over up to 10 years u think. I got $3700 of the credit in my April return, I will get the rest next year.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2014
  41. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Active Member

Fiat 500e is a better option than the hideous Mitsu.

Probably can bolt on aftermarket abarth parts for some suspension upgrades

42. wrxin8or

wrxin8or Mullitt Staff Member

the fiat is Cali only right now unfortunately...

43. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

I've read conflicting things about this

44. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

The Chevy Spark EV may be worth waiting for. Only available in Cali right now, but is supposed to have 3xx ft lb of torque.

The fiat is too small to be practical.

45. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

You get the tax credit based on you tax liability. For 2013, I got $3700 back on my taxes in April. I will get the remainder on next years taxes.

You get the credit over up to 5 years, I believe. As long as within that time, your tax liability is over 5k, you will get the entire credit.

46. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Active Member

You will probably get your carryover then but people who buy this year may not once they change the rules.

There are so many Leafs on the road now. The state is going to be taking it in the shorts this year so I'm sure the rules will change.

47. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

But you will be grandfathered in. If you buy now because there is a tax credit, they can't just take that credit away. Anyone that buys next year will have to deal with new rules, but you will be eligible for the full credit.

They can't change the rules in the middle, and make those changes retroactive. Any changes made will be going forward. Once they decide to take the credit away, or only pay based on tax liability for the first year, anyone that buys after that will be held to those new rules, but everyone who purchased prior will be grandfathered in.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2014
  48. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

the state paid out about 1 million last year for the credit

49. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Active Member

That was last year.

Last year I saw one or two on my way to work. Now I see so many they are going to have to change it from a traffic jam to a leaf pile. These cars are fucking every where.

What is the modding potential? I would imagine you could improve the zero to 60 time but trying to push the top end would probably end up in a melted battery pack.

50. FACE

FACE Active Member