Weird Noise When Engaging the Clutch From A Stop

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by sikwrx04, Jun 6, 2014.

1. sikwrx04

sikwrx04 Member

Hey guys my transmission is making a weird noise when I engage the clutch from a dead stop. The noise occurs when the clutch pedal is halfway to the floor. It sounds like a low/high-pitched squeal, and does not occur when the vehicle is in motion. The symptoms present themselves in both 1st and reverse; any idea's? The noise does not present itself when the clutch is disengaged, nor when the clutch is engaged at speed. The clutch has been replaced about 12,000 miles ago so i assume its fine.

Throw out bearing issues?

Last edited: Jun 6, 2014
  2. b reel

b reel Active Member

3. sikwrx04

sikwrx04 Member

smh is this a hard DIY? Or would it be easier if i take it to the shop? I understand i have to drop the transmission, but would i be able to do that with just Jack Stands? lol

4. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

you might as well do an entire clutch replacement (Clutch, TO Bearing, Pilot Bearing, resurface flywheel) if you have to do the TO bearing. It is essentially the same amount of labor. You could do it on jackstands if you have the tools and knowledge. I know some say it is easier to just pull the entire motor if you are doing it on jackstands.

and yes, it does sound like a bad TO bearing.

5. liltoua

liltoua Member

Yea pulling the motor almost seems like an easier job then dropping the transmission lol. With the motor you just have to pull out the radiator and unbolt the downpipe. With the transmission, you have to take off the front axles and driveshaft. To me I'd rather work from up top than on my back all day if you're doing it with jackstands. I can just see the struggles now of trying to line up the dial pin on the transmission when you put it all back together.

6. Coldcat83

Coldcat83 Member

If you pull the trans I recommend putting a jack under the front of the motor with a block of wood and disconnecting the motor mounts and pitch stop. This allows you to tilt the front of the motor up to make the angle of removing and reinstalling the trans easier.