Head gasket

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by kohlby777, Aug 10, 2014.

1. kohlby777

kohlby777 Member

So after all the heat at yesterday's points 8 solo event I think I may have a leaking head gasket. Coolant smells like exhaust, overflow resoivor is pretty. Temp climbed to 226 a couple of times on the drive back to Carrollton. I'm afraid I'm getting air in the system maybe from it leaking. Does this sound like the culprit to anyone? And also what are the best replacement head gaskets to go with? Oem or something else and why? If anyone is willing to give me a hand or even just some pointers id greatly appreciate that as well

2. b reel

b reel Active Member

just go with OEM but check around the crimps on your radiator and coolant lines before ruling it a head gasket.

3. kohlby777

kohlby777 Member

I just replaced all the coolant lines and radiator with mishimoto a few months back so I know that's not the issue. New oem thermostat too so that shouldn't be it. It was fine until yesterday. Also in your opinion is it okay to drive as long as the temperature level is staying normal?

4. b reel

b reel Active Member

nope not if it's a head gasket. paying now is always far cheaper than dicking around

5. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

the OEM STi headgaskets will fit and are metal versus the (i believe) paper of the standard wrx of that body style. Go with the OEM STi ones.

6. ChrisW

ChrisW Member

The 205s are mls

7. kohlby777

kohlby777 Member

So oem sti > WRX? Should I get the heads resurfaced or just clean them up with a razor blade?

8. b reel

b reel Active Member

WRX unless you have a 2.5L case

I'd at least have the decks checked

9. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

I think the STi head gasket will alter your compression. Use OEM EJ205 WRX headgaskets if you have a 2.0L WRX engine. The OEM WRX gasket is MLS (multi layer steel) just like the STi gaskets.

10. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

Do you have chocolate milk looking substance in your oil?

Oil sheen\oil floaties in the coolant?

James bond white smoke cloud?

If you dont have one of these its prolly not the head gasket.

11. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

Wow, that sucks. Saturday put the hurting on a lot of cars. 4 failed batteries in half of 1 event is really odd. I'm glad I didn't drive it too, or you might not have made it home :/

12. kohlby777

kohlby777 Member

I do have a 2.0 WRX engine but it's not a usdm ej205. It's definitely jdm has Japanese in timing cover, an extra high pressure turbo oil line on the left side of the engine. But I called Brandon and he said it should work but to verify they match. I'm loosing oil, the coolant looks fine except you can smell the exhaust and the plastic overflow reservoir bubbles. Here's a link to my exact issue http://www.iwsti.com/forums/2-5-liter-litre-factory-motor/95480-update-overheating-pushing-coolant-change-head-gaskets.html

My plan is oem WRX head gasket, apr studs, higher rated turbo coolant reservoir cap, and also replace the timing belt, tensioners, and water pump while I'm at it even though it's only been about 60000 miles since it was done.

I have a dung/slash on my oil pan too though I was thinking about replacing. Should I keep an oem pan or is there a better performing aftermarket unit?

13. kohlby777

kohlby777 Member

It definitely sucks randy but I guess the only thing I can do is make the best of the situation. Saturday was a scorcher for sure, I'm pretty lobster looking. I'm really hoping to be able to make it out to the next event.

14. ChrisW

ChrisW Member

Do your heads have avcs?

15. kohlby777

kohlby777 Member

I'm not too sure I've never taken them out myself

16. ChrisW

ChrisW Member

you should be able to see the hard lines for the solenoids as it sits now, if you have them. There would be 2, one on each intake cam, look at the silver thing in the middle of this pic with the hard line coming off of it and going towards the front, above the timing cover.

17. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

I didnt think AVCS was introduced until the EJ25X motors in the US?

18. ChrisW

ChrisW Member

Youre correct, but he thinks he has a JDM 205.

19. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

The jdm 2.0's has avcs