Best 6.5" Component Speakers

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by wileycoyote0022, Sep 1, 2014.

1. Ok, so I have been out of the stereo loop for some time now. Looking to setup new stereo in the LGT. Im wanting the best quality I can find for under $300 (including tweeter and crossover) for the fronts and under $200 for the rears (coaxial). These will be amp'ed, dont know which amp, will depend upon what the speakers require per channel.

And Go.....

2. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

don't bother with the rear and put more money into the fronts. Music should come from the front, as it's a better focus point.

3. Still want to have some kind of sound coming from the rear, stock speakers to me always sound like they have marshmallows in them...

4. rsutton1223

rsutton1223 Obsessed Supporting Member

This.

Look at Hertz. I loved the 165's I had from them. Keep in mind though...nothing fits in the stock tweeter pods. They are incredibly small so some fab work will be required to get aftermarket component setups to fit.

5. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

If you can hear the rears you are doing it wrong.

I had great luck with DLS speakers but it has been years since I purchased my last set.

6. Wycked304

Wycked304 New Member

Integroid is right, if you can hear the rears, you are doing it wrong. I had a system installed a few years back by the now defunct HiFi Buys and they left the factory rears in "for fill" and when I would fade them in and out, you couldnt even tell they were there. Concentrate on the front stage and speaker placement and you will never be able to hear what you may have in the rear doors. I love my Focal's and have been very happy with their performance since I purchased them 4 years ago.:banana:

7. Holc13WRX

Holc13WRX Supporting Member

So how much fab work would be required to get some aftermarket tweeters in?

8. If it's anything like the wrx doors, it's just one u shaped bracket you have to mess with. Not hard.

9. Matt

ideally, you'll want to place them in the a pillar. cutting a hole, placing a ring, molding it into the pillar and then having JPM wrap it in alcantara is the best option.

10. slade1274

slade1274 Member

All the major brands will do just fine these days. JL has stepped up their game in the component arena in the last few years. You need to decide if you want metal or soft dome tweeters as they do have different characteristics. Some think metal domes are "hot" and tough to tame the upper "harshness" without loosing detail. I like soft domes myself though there are many metal or composite tweeters that I've liked over the years. If you are a name brand guy- JL or Alpine is the way to go, if you want quality for price; then Image Dynamics is a good bet. I'd go this way on the fronts, punt the back and provide some clean power. Also keep in mind power ratings are smoke and mirrors. Power handling numbers on speakers ARE NOT power requirement numbers; and RMS numbers on amplifiers ARE NOT constant power numbers. Power consumption is VERY dynamic and even if your tweeter is rated at 15w, you can put a 500w amplifier on it if your crossover points are right (they will be with passive crossovers) and you send them a CLEAN signal from the head unit. Distortion has ruined more speakers than excess power- even at rated power levels. If your head unit clips the signal, the amplifier just makes it worse- so proper gain settings on the amp matched with proper use of the GO knob on the head unit are best friends. Gain control on the amp IS NOT a volume knob.

If I were you.....
    http://www.woofersetc.com/p-6201-ctx65cs-image-dynamics-65-component-speaker-system.aspx

http://www.woofersetc.com/p-10138-p...4-channel-900-watt-max-class-d-amplifier.aspx

11. rsutton1223

rsutton1223 Obsessed Supporting Member

This guy knows what he is talking about. He is a jackass and no one likes him but he is extremely knowledgeable about car audio. ;) I'm not kidding either. I have been known to completely annoy Slade for hours on end about audio. (BTW. I'll be in Tampa at the end of the month. Not sure with my car or not right now)

Here is the pillar location that Matt is talking about.

[​IMG]

Here's what your pillars would look like if you ever decided to go full retard.

[​IMG]

12. slade1274

slade1274 Member

:|

Let me know when in town and if you can get away from what brings you here- we can grab a burger and a pint.

13. Matt

we're getting TWO world of beers in the next few months. :D

14. I'm about 1.5-2 hrs from Tampa, let me know if you care for one more tagging along.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2014
  15. fastnfurious7

fastnfurious7 Member

I'm a car audio nut myself. For components I love Image Dynamics for a great price point/quality balance. If money is less of an object, Morel is the business. I'm all about the 90's old school amps that are usually underrated and sound amazing. I've been collecting nice old school amps for too long so the Evil Wagon is getting outfitted with a nice system for zero dollars with stuff I've already accumulated over the years. If you need any assistance, feel free to contact me and I'll be happy to help.

16. nuyorican718

nuyorican718 Member

I personally prefer Memphis M series as well as Alpines Type-R and Type-X brands. Headunits Alpine or Clarion. Amps whatever brand I buy the speakers to match. Thats my .02