The Drive train question

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by outbacksprt, Sep 18, 2014.

1. outbacksprt

outbacksprt Member

Before you accuse me of hey it's a 6 speed swap question do a search first.. no it's not about a 6 speed.

5 speed question.

I have the 5 speed in my outback sport. Now it's not the same rear diff or anything like the WRX transmission. different rear gear and final drive ratio. After talking with my parts guys at work.. usually not a lot of help but asked anyways for a parts list.

I got offered a STI engine and ECU front frame and pretty much everything to do a turbo swap just not Transmission or anything. I'm planning on getting the engine in about 2 weeks or so. Most people I know do the sti swap but already have the WRX transmission. I know the clutch and flywheel will all bolt up to the STI block however. I know they make upgraded fly wheels and clutches for the WRX 5 speed. When I asked my parts guy if there is a different between the clutch and flywheel between my transmission and the WRX transmission of the same year of course my answer was, "Yes, there is a difference."

So with the difference being that there is one. I will fully admit I have not checked for performance clutches for my outback sport as I feel there is still a drive line dilemma I'm not seeing clearly.

If and Is possibly to bolt my transmission up to the STI engine/block would I have a clutch problem If I am not using a "WRX" transmission?

2. b reel

b reel Active Member

pull your clutch and pressure plate and have TruCo or Clutch Specialties replace the clutch material and springs to hold more power. Should be the only issue you'll have transmission wise. You'll need to swap the subframe for a WRX/STI for up-pipe clearance.

3. outbacksprt

outbacksprt Member

yeah Everything for the swap is gonna be included. Frame, Engine, Harness, Ecu and cluster and stuff to make sure everything runs properly and works accordingly. I don't expect to really change much after I install the motor as I know I'm definitely running on a Glass box 5 speed..

4. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

You'll be fine. I beat on my glass 5 speed for 2 years with an sti swap before it finally gave out. And it was a stump in the road that did it in.

5. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

oh and any 5 speed clutch should fit as long as it matches the throwout bearing setup, ie. push vs pull