cable vs rod transmission

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by ItsArex, Oct 16, 2014.

1. ItsArex

ItsArex New Member

Hey curious about what's everyone's opinion on cable vs rod transmission. The 2015 has the cable and it feels sloppy, but being cable it would be cheaper to fix than a rod. But what other pros and cons for both?

2. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

when I sat in Matto's car on Tuesday, his shifter felt way tighter than mine.

3. ItsArex

ItsArex New Member

Could it be that his car is still fresh? Mine feels a little... resistant sometimes.

4. outbacksprt

outbacksprt Member

Anyways as I was saying before Matt kicked us over here..

Cable drawn shifters are gonna act like Throttle body cables in the long run. They will stretch and shrink during temperature changes and over time stretch even further. How ever Cable has come a long way since 2004 and before. I don't think we'll see stretching for quite some time or at least anything to worry about. With out being at work (on vacation ATM) I can't fully remember if there is a way to actually adjust the cables like my throttle body cable on my Wagon. I would like to hope that there is a way and I'm not blowing smoke up someone's arse.

The other thing we were talking about was the fact that the transmission in fact is the same ones that come out with slightly better gear material and teeth then the 2010 Legacy GT. Basically same model engine as well.. setup wise anyways. I can't say that the Short throws for the GT will work as I haven't seen anyone willing to try it. I will admit that the 6 speeds in the Outbacks and legacy 2010-2014 were sloppy as all get out..

I hate to say it this way but Subaru is branding the WRX not as a sports car much anymore.. I mean it's going the same way as the XT.. XT no longer even comes with a manual option.. Now we have CVT in the WRX hate to say it guys but Wrx is going to be branded as a more luxury sports car compared to the STI brand. Look at it this way now as well. They've separated the name in 3 cars now. You have your Impreza, Wrx, and STI all are a different stage in fast. Impreza is your base of the base with little luxury in it. WRX Oooo you got a turbo but I still come with a manual.. that came from a legacy/outback remodel.. but I also got a CVT that works with the XT and the 3.6L outback.. STI = Racecar

5. ItsArex

ItsArex New Member

I agree with you, but the fact is that it might be heading in that direction with the CVT. More and more WRX are coming out with the CVT than the manual. But as of now, I really like the 2015 wrx and the reason I chose it over the 2014 sti, was because of the new engine, chasis, transmission and the DIT twin scroll turbo. I feel like the new FA20 model has a lot of potential to be a really good engine in the wrx. I don't regret my decision at all. I am in love with this wrx. I was hoping the tranmission was more smooth. Is there any cables out there that could make this feel better? I have been reading that cable drawn shifters feel sloppy.

6. outbacksprt

outbacksprt Member

oh don't get me wrong I love the new WRX more then the STI on the 2015. I love the twin scroll setup and wish it wasn't cable drawn shifter. How ever I love the motor and the potential this makes I'd actually love them to stick this motor and stuff into the BRZ and make that the BRZ T of american branding. I have high hopes that the FA20 will over come the STI flaws. As for what aftermarket places offer for the Cables and shifters though I haven't done any research on it.. I don't have one :wtc: otherwise I'd do the research. I learn from you all on what works and what doesn't work and try to spread the word to people who aren't on WRX atlanta. I would love WRXatlanta cards to shove in a clean looking STI or WRX to repopulate the forum/FB site.

7. ItsArex

ItsArex New Member

Haha I understand man. I hear the BRZ STI is in the works... that is going to be a scary car right there.... With the new FA20 I'm sure in a few years the brz will have the same set up as the WRX. It's going to be sick if that happens. I need to do some more research. I am really waiting for a whole shift kit to come out. I have been talking to some people and thinking about getting perrin front and rear bushings. Hopefully that'll improve the resistance in the shifting. The shifter it self is an issue that I have been trying to read up on. I would get an STI SS, but i hear that is not an improvement, so i have been staying away from that.
    I try to spread as much word as I can with all this research for the 2015 wrx/sti facebook page. There was a posting about the STI SS and people had mix reviews on it. So who knows, how Kartboy is going to go on with their end. But i wouldn't want to get any other SS unless it was a Kartboy. I've heard to many good things and not much negative.

8. Matto357

Matto357 Crazyazn likes Naps Staff Member

It's not like a cable shifter is an inherently flawed system. Hell, porsche uses a cable system in the cayman and 911 if I'm remembering correctly.

Everything I've read is that the cables aren't adjustable, only replaceable and there are some aftermarket thicker options out there already.

Also, here's a link to what the Porsche guys do:

http://www.numericracing.com/Products.php

Last edited: Oct 16, 2014
  9. ItsArex

ItsArex New Member

I'm not saying that the cable shifter is flawed, just mine feels weird....

10. Justin V

Justin V Member

learn something new everyday.

I am not too much of a fan of the rod setups either. Pain to work on and expensive (I think a SS and all the bushings runs nearly $300).

My wife's VW has cables, the end links are adjustable, they theaded. But we've replaced the bushings on the shifter ends, while other kits replace with hiem joints to create a better feel.