Clark turner maps?

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by scoobaru, Dec 30, 2014.

1. scoobaru

scoobaru Active Member

Anyone have experience or know someone that's used a e-tune from Clark turner tuning? I was considering a stage 2 protune from them. Any pros/cons? I know it's not a dyno tune but they seem to be pretty popular on nasioc.

2. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

Why not just get Doug to tune it at DBW? Reputable local person with a great track record.

3. scoobaru

scoobaru Active Member

CT seems to have a good rep. And $150 vs 4-500. Just wondering if it's really worth the extra money. I know you do get what you pay for in most scenarios.

4. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

every car runs different. every tuner knows that. I would rather have the time and effort put into a tune from a local person versus a e-tune simply based off your mods. If that's the case, then why not just use a "free" OTS tune from cobb?

5. Matto357

Matto357 Crazyazn likes Naps Staff Member

Plus getting tuned on a dyno is worlds better imho. Unless you have your own private runway you're going to have to make some highish speed runs on a public road to data log and send to an e-tunner to have him refine your tune.

6. RSConvert

RSConvert ɹǝuɹnʇpɐǝɥ uʞnɟɐɥnɯ ɐ sʇı Supporting Member

I tried a CT tune once when I upgraded to a 20g and Topspeed was booked for weeks. The cost seemed pretty cheap and the reviews on Nasioc looked promising so I gave it a shot.

After multiple times emailing back and fourth logs and maps, CT seemed to never get it right.

7. b reel

b reel Active Member

E-tune is a great idea for someone living in the boonie's but not here, too many local options.

8. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

I ran two CT maps. Never had any issues but the tunes were conservative. But a protune always was more efficient.

I have been tuned by several tuners:
    Scott Siegel
    Doug Wilks
    Clark Turner
    Robbie Latta
    Al Friedman

Scott's maps were always on par and safe. If I changed something he fixed it for me.

Doug's maps were always on par. My ultimate and final setup was Doug tuned....rock solid reliability. Hands down the best....I will recommend him over anyone.

Clark's maps were etunes cause he was the first I ever dealt with. No issues. Got me by until I got tuned by Scott.

Robbie's maps were rock solid reliable. He got me my break in map on the 2.5L. Tried to get Scott to do it but all the drama was unfolding at that time....Robbie is a personal friend and I would recommend him to anyone closer to Fayetteville NC.

Al Friedman was my kill map (drag) tunes.....the man loves boost and the man loves timing. These were ragged edge tunes that were fast as ballz but in no way streetable and smooth. Would not advise if he even does tuning anymore.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2014
  9. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

I also believe slowwrx used to have a CT tune when he had a 20g WRX.

10. scoobaru

scoobaru Active Member

Thanks for the info guys. Just seemed like a decent alternative but don't wanna waste the money and end up getting a local protune anyways.

11. J-Rad

J-Rad New Member

Scott Siegel still tunes and did a phenomenal job on my car! He took a lot of time and answered way more questions than I had any business asking, but it wasn't cheap. If you're trying to mod on a budget, look elsewhere.

12. GTscoob

GTscoob Black is Beautiful

There are way too many qualified local tuners to even consider an e-tune. Then you've got local help if anything goes wrong in the future. Plus some take burritos as payment.

13. J_P

J_P I like pudding pops Supporting Member

Lots of good advice here.

My $.02: I would run an OTS stage 2 map until you are ready for a protune.

14. scoobaru

scoobaru Active Member

Not really a budget. But just bang for buck factor. I've decided against it.

Indeed. I have decided to wait it out. However now I'm looking into 35R kits...lol

15. Doug@DBW Motorsports

Doug@DBW Motorsports Active Member

My 2c --

Etunes are great if you're tuning something that has logged AFR's like a GTR, BMW, Audi, Porsche, etc... NOT a subaru! yes you may get the etune close, but it will never be perfect. Because you can never get the tune perfect is one of the few reasons I refuse to E-Tune subaru's. I will not have my reputation ruined because of it.

That being said I only charge $189/hr for dyno tuning at my new shop. If you bring me a good running car it should not take more then 1-2 hours to complete. To me at that price its a no brainer, you should never go with an Etune.

https://www.facebook.com/DBWmotorsports

16. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

There is no one better than Douglas.....go see him at that killer price and do the dougie.

17. scoobaru

scoobaru Active Member

I will be visiting your shop soon!

18. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

Add me to the list.