2013 Black STI / JPM / ETS / TSM / BallEngines

Discussion in 'Member Journals & Project Build Stories' started by digitizedsoul, Jul 17, 2014.

1. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

what I just read is...you have drag radials for the street..

2. wrxin8or

wrxin8or Mullitt Staff Member

Heh that's what I was afraid of....what size PSS/NT555?

God damn linelock is going to be the death of many tires I think...

3. digitizedsoul

digitizedsoul Moderation is a vice Supporting Member

K I think i'm sold on the PSS's in 255/40/18 size for whenever i'm ready to pull the trigger. Thank you to those who reached out to me privately and through the thread with offers to help find best pricing, once again this community just shines.

LOL @ Rob, I bet going through tires is an alarming reality in that car.

Regarding brakes, as I understand it ceramic pad's don't dust hardly at all but leave a little stopping power on the table?
    Is there a good guide out there on brake pad "types"? Or would someone be willing to break it down for me here in the thread?

4. digitizedsoul

ZING almost missed this. :wiggle:

5. Drowland87

Drowland87 Staff Member Supporting Member

You will not regret the PSS decision!

6. digitizedsoul

One of these days i'm going wingless, when I can justify 700$ for the carbon fiber trunk lid I want to replace my stocker.

[​IMG]

7. rsutton1223

rsutton1223 Obsessed Supporting Member

I'll be honest...I am not a fan of the wingless look on the newer gen cars. The trunk is too short in relation to the rest of the body. Keep the wing.

8. liltoua

liltoua Member

I agree with Robb. I think the newer gen Impreza look weird without a wing. Plus if you are going to be trapping 150+ mph I'm sure that wing will help a bit ;)

9. digitizedsoul

Dat stealth though...
    I don't know, i've had 2 years to think it over, and will probably have another 2 before I actually do anything about it.
    I do agree the trunk is super short, but for some reason I like it.

10. Western

Western Supporting Member

x3 Agreeing with Rob. By the way.....I know you've said why you don't come out to the dinner meets anymore, but you should really consider coming out tomorrow night at the Pub. I'll have a Coca-Cola with you if you do!

11. digitizedsoul

lol, I might, but i'm bodybuilding again so i'd likely bring my own food, drink copious amounts of water and look like a tool but who cares.

12. Drowland87

Who cares. Come out!

13. benfrancis

benfrancis Member

Come on out man!

14. crazyazn

crazyazn I like naps Staff Member Supporting Member

who cares, come on out, join me at my self made no drinking corner. been a while man!

15. digitizedsoul

I wonder how hard I could push my stock sleeve open deck motor with E85...

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2504946

would need a walbro 460 to replace my aeromotive 340. Otherwise i'm set. 1000cc injectors would be fine especially if I bumped the baseline fuel pressure.

Been tossing it around for a while, I just love how reliable my car is and that I can get fuel a block away at shell or anywhere else for that matter.

The 521whp it made was awesome, the 431wtq was the not so awesome part that I would look to improve :(
    My 4th gear highway pulls disappoint me these days LOL

16. digitizedsoul

There are too many dom 1.5 guys making more torque.
    It makes my head hurt.

Oh and justin (not justin V, but topspeed justin) beat my mph at the 1/2 mile last year with a dom 1.5.
    Yes, i'm still mad.

17. TougeFighter

TougeFighter Member

Hit us up if you would like to look into picking up a 460 :)

18. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

Don't do it!

19. Holc13WRX

Holc13WRX Supporting Member

I have the perfect solution!

How about you and I trade cars for a few months.... Then when you get it back it will feel like you have a Sh*t ton of torque!

20. Justin V

Justin V Member

I can't believe the 1000s would flow enough even with a pressure boost.

you got a hoss ass snail under there, and I thought I needed at least 1300's for mine.

What's Ryan's duty cycle on his 1300's on pump? If he doesn't have an extra 33% with his slightly smaller turbo I'd be cautious with yours. I stopped where I did because fuel systems are crazy expensive and not something to be done "on tha cheap"

Drive that passat a while and never ride in Robb's caddy.

21. digitizedsoul

Yeah I definitely need to drive the passat more, and I have been.
    Nice weather got me back in the subaru a couple days in a row though haha.

I was more just curious about my fully open deck and stock sleeves. I should probably leave well enough alone.

22. Matt

this. ;)

23. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

I dont think 1000cc's will be enough....at least it wasnt for my build.

I wish I left my car alone.......the e85 idea was the worse mistake I made with the LGT. Ok, maybe 2nd worse mistake:)

24. stirhino

stirhino Member

E85 is too damn corrosive! After seeing what it did to stuff on the 04 I said hell no on the 2011! That's why I did race gas tune. I will have to see what my idc on id1300's on pump gas. Not only that but you don't want to end up with a ovaled block like I did with stock sleeves.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2015
  25. wEaK Squad

wEaK Squad Member

Can we still be friends though? Lol rematch in may?

26. digitizedsoul

lol! it will still be the same so likely won't break 150mph again.
    147mph was my best out of 4.
    Some folks be trapping that in the 1/4 mile in subaru's :(

27. wEaK Squad

wEaK Squad Member

That'll be me soon hopefully :)

28. digitizedsoul

So whoever has the contact's for anyone at discount can you PM me or text me?

This is the best i've found and it's at discount so I just want to see if I can do any better.

Michelin
    Pilot Super Sport
    (35525)
    Special Order

255 /40 R18 99Y XL BSW
    $214.00 $856.00
    Remove
    This Michelin tire qualifies for:
    $70 Visa Prepaid Card Mail-in Rebate on a set of four (Details) Mail-In
    Environmental Fee (State Required) $1.00 $4.00
    Tire Disposal Fee $2.75 $11.00
    Installation & Lifetime Spin Balancing $16.00 $64.00
    Subtotal $935.00
    GA 7.00% Sales Tax $60.97
    Total "Out the Door" Price
    $995.97

29. Matt

I was trying to check costco, but they don't carry in that size. We just missed out on a killer deal on memorial day weekend.

30. Justin V

Justin V Member

Cars and coffee is this weekend. I got a discount tire $50 off coupon from their vendor booth a while ago.

If you find a place that has them cheaper, get them price matched online. Then tell the store you can buy them from discount tire online for x price and the store will start from there.

I was able to say, "If I buy them online, I get the shipped for free, don't pay tax and get a lower price." They matched the price and didn't charge tax which saved a bit of money, then simply having them install in store you get new stems and lifetime balance and rotations.

31. digitizedsoul

Zing that's my exact plan too, I did that a few years ago on the tacoma. Discount tire really is the best way to go.

Justin is your car running? You been ghost (I don't read NASIOC) last I remember you were going through drama with GSC over the cam buckets.

32. Matt

http://wrxatlanta.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36137

:(

33. digitizedsoul

I still haven't gotten tires lolz. Been driving the passat and stalling.

I've been seriously on the fence about selling the car lately, and for a while actually.
    I spent 15yrs wanting it, and during all those years (and before) I had people in my life who would equally appreciate it, was in high school, then college, was always riding around with people in my car, etc. Plenty of opportunities to have fun in it with like minded bro's were the norm. Now, I have a family, a wife who doesn't appreciate torque or an external wastegate, and a 1yr old who won't be able to enjoy it for a while.
    I've been beating myself up for making a decision based on archived circumstances because as it stands now I don't really have anyone in my life who ever rides around with me to have fun in it and whenever we go out we take her impreza because she hates mine lolz. In other words the only time I ever drive it is on my commute when I choose to, alone, and dealing with other commuters, etc.
    If I had the money that I have tied up in it in hand I could easily get a 4dr F150 twin turbo V6 or something and with an intake / tune / exhaust they can make 450+wtq which is insane and the inside of one of those things is the size of my car. I could haul a 4wheeler again, pull a boat again, all that stuff that i'm thinking of now.

Not sure the point of this other then a rant hehe (unless someone wants to grabsies?) but in all honesty I don't think anyone would want to give me what it's worth as it sits so i'd need to go back to stock or near it which would be a nightmare considering I sold all those parts long ago. With those facts in mind I keep convincing myself to just keep it and enjoy it. If i'm going to do that though I need to fix some things that annoy me big time like the SPT exhaust (I want an apexi N1) plumb in the wastegate dump and tint the windows. Those things alone are probably 1500$ not counting the 1000$ in tires it needs.

34. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

That sucks. But I feel where you're coming from.

I sold my first Subaru for the same reasons stated. It was nowhere near as modded as yours, or had any true value, but I still missed the crap out of it. Now I purchased the STi with a self promise to never sell it. No matter the thoughts that may come across my mind.

With that said, I'm already bored with it and looking to purchase a Jeep SRT8 as my next car. It has family car written all over with enough power to have some fun.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2015
  35. Justin V

Justin V Member

I feel your pain. I would do anything to have mine out of the garage and long gone by the time the wife gets back from deployment.

...There is just no easy way to get rid of it. At this point I am going to cut some corners. I have most of the parts I could rebuild mine with a built motor (block and heads), but lack all header to downpipe and intake parts for a stock location setup. I'd still have a highly modded car to try and sell, while attempting to make back whatever I can on a bottomless money pit of a project.

Also looked at wrecked ones to use as a donor, but they go fast and are a mystery as to their condition. If I did this route I'd just trade it in to a dealer, but there is nothing I want to trade for and take on payments for.

I want something that handles well. That's what I miss most and don't know if you will. I have a slow truck to get things done in and the wife's 6spd TDI golf to romp around in but its just not the same as having AWD grip on curves... and the power to walk the rear end out a bit when I wanted to.

If anything, you could free up the funds for the next thing to come along. I've been eyeing the car in my neighbor's garage that sitting under the cover (a GMC Syclone) that'd be a fun piece of history to own. Or trying to convince the wife that a GT-R NEEDS to be all up in our life.

Vicky ended up trading hers in and selling her forester to buy a touareg R. I think a local auto mall did the trade to use the car as a press car though since it looked so stock under the hood. She really lucked out on that.

36. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

Exactly the same path I took.....wrecked my WRX and had the free parts to fix it. Even had opportunity to do 2.5RS swap. But I was tired of the constant annoyances, tired of the high maintenance, and just tired of what it became.....it should've stayed a 18g powered EJ207. Now I'm rocking a Nissan Titan which I freaking love (and it's a tq monster too) and it hauls all my harvests and other toys. Zero maintenance....just fill er and drive it.

I do want another car again and I've had quite a few....ultimately I just want a fun convertible to just chill in.

37. rsutton1223

Get rid of the external wastgate. Plumb it back into the downpipe and enjoy the car with your family. Some of my best memories when Daniel was that age was taking trips to the mountains. There is no reason why you can't enjoy the car as a family right now other than the noise. And actually do things with the car other than commute. Go to Caffeine and Octane, the mountains, short trips to places...make the car part of the experience instead of just something loud.

For example...

[youtube]nghvWN33tfw[/youtube]

Last edited: Jul 7, 2015
  38. rsutton1223

For the record...my wife hated the Subaru but she loved the experiences we had with it. She hated the exhaust note (wasn't bad in the car though), she hated hatchbacks, she hated matte paint and she hated red and black. But she LOVED the time we spent in the car as a family going places, see different things and doing events. Make it less about the car and more about the experiences you have in it as a family.

39. chrisstian

chrisstian New Member

Very nice

Crazy !!

40. digitizedsoul

WOW didn't know Vicky got rid of hers, yeah she really did luck out big time I wonder if they gave her fair value for it? Sounds like it from what you said.

So what are you going to do with yours? Definitely sell it?
    Cyclone's are awesome, talk to STIRhino on here he used to have a SICK one with over 1000hp I believe.

41. digitizedsoul

Thanks Robb, yeah I have seen that video of yours a few times it's pretty fun. My son already loves it even though he's still facing backwards, but my wife just doesn't like fast cars or "taking risks" in general. After all, she IS an attorney lol.
    These are things I never even considered when I got the car. All I thought about was myself and reaching a goal i'd set for half my life never once stopping to think: "Oh wait, none of those people I set the goal with are even in my life anymore, and the ones that are now couldn't care less."
    Sure we can ride around in mine even if I plumb in the wastegate, but anytime I build even 5psi of boost I get a scream of terror / expletives from the passenger seat. We agree'd that she needs to learn how to drive a clutch operated car and then drive my car herself which might help, but there is no way she could learn on this ACT Xtreme duty clutch it's way too unforgiving.

I dunno, lots of stuff to toss around I guess. I think about it all quite a bit these days. Do I keep it, invest even more $$$ into it in the form of new tires, tinted windows, fixed exhaust and other things that annoy me every time I drive it or do I cut my losses now while the mileage is still only 36k and the value is in it's retail / wholesale prime for the year model and trade or sell.

42. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

You will lose bigtime. Tires and the little annoyances is really and truly general maintenance that you have to do on any car.

43. Matt

happy wife, happy life. :(

44. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

Thats true!

45. digitizedsoul

She read the thread, and we had a good talk. I think i'm going to plumb the wastegate in and go from there. Looked at my dunlop's today and man are they getting there haha. I'll definitely need to get those PSS's pretty soon too but it can wait a little longer maybe 2-4k miles. kinda fun with them being loose anyway :p

46. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

I think you should whatever will make you and your family happy.....in the end, that is all that really matters.

47. RoMe

RoMe Active Member

This exactly. Ive toyed with selling mine as well but just like Robb we've had to many memories in the damn thing. We took it on our honeymoon and also i was able to talk my wife in to bringing my daughter home from the hospital in it. Hell ive meet all of you jerks because of the car

But Ive got this damn Miata now that is a blast to drive and cheaper to mod and own so sadly the STi sits in the garage 95% of the time.

48. digitizedsoul

Sparta, hit me up on the PM I sent you when you can regarding brakes.

49. digitizedsoul

50. Drowland87