2015 AutoX Thread

Discussion in 'Meetups & Events' started by ~The_Duke~, Feb 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. congrats again myles on kicking my ass. you killed it haha

Millhouse04 likes this.
  2. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

Miles is a very frustrating man to race against... He is frighteningly consistent... *shakes fist at the sky*

So there is the couples combo race... which couple has the best combined time...

Bryan + Corrin - 94.684
    Zack + Katrina - 97.786
    Miles + Elena - 99.296

3. cool comparison. yay I won in some way haha

4. corrin was very disappointed with her performance. she is usually within a second of me but was 2 seconds off sunday

5. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

I was having a terrible time getting my braking points and turn in's right for those tight right angle or more turns (coming out of Chicago box, coming off the bricks, and entering the slalom). I could have easily shaved another second or so off just by getting those 3 corners down correctly.

6. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

You needed to be on the brakes in the Chi Box. Just past the center cone, right before the exit cone. One quick stab of the brakes and throw it to the left. Should have set you up to go straight for the gates into the brick-sweeper.

Both right-hand sweepers here a test in patients, you had to keep your eye on the exit pointer cone throughout the sweepers or you go wide and lose time to the longer distance you traveled.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
  7. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

8. crazyazn

crazyazn I like naps Staff Member Supporting Member

Once again, it was a fun time for me. Definitely felt a lot more comfortable driving at and amongst cones.

I think I had my dccd set a bit too rear bias as my car was rather tail happy. Seemed nice for throttle overseer, I just don't have the steering and throttle input ability to have really utilized it. However it sure felt fun have the back end go out for some of the turns.

9. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

I was noticing the lines after I worked the course in the 4th run group, I know exactly what I did wrong. Its just a matter of figuring this out before I use all my runs... lol :keke:

10. Millhouse04

Millhouse04 Member

I just realized that you where linking to Mat's run. I should have mine up later tonight, or by the weekend. I want to put the telemetry on it though; maybe closer to the weekend.

Thanks Brian. I thought we where much closer, 2 maybe 3 tenths tops.

11. Wheeljack

Wheeljack New Member

That was one of the main things I was doing wrong. I never felt great going into the uphill slalom either. Hopefully some new tires will help a bit. The old Z2s are just at the wear bars. Overall, I enjoyed the course and the club. Any club that can get through 200+ entries without having to run the final heat with headlights on is really good.

12. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

It was a lot of crazy, thanks for the kind words. It takes a good team to pull it off. The last run-group was a bit crazy, having cars drive at each other in grid isn't ideal. BUT, everyone did just fine.

On the up hill, you need to give up throttle so the car turns in quicker at the crest. It's not as fun, but it is quicker.

Wheeljack, what pressures are you running on the Z2's?

13. Millhouse04

Millhouse04 Member

finally got it done:
    [youtube]9_WJpFccT0Y[/youtube]

14. Millhouse04

Millhouse04 Member

for those that 'think' (it was including me before) that because you run 17" wheels, you will be losing a lot of rotating mass.
    It's only a 3.8 lb reduction. I guess the DZII make up the difference

[​IMG]

15. yea dunlops are heavy

16. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

Yup, that is why I am trying to get rid of my 18s for some 17s...

17. ihavefat

ihavefat Member

wait..I thought the point he was trying to make was that it's not much of a difference so sticking with 18s may be ok?

17s imo is just cheaper in terms of tires/etc/etc

18. crazyazn

crazyazn I like naps Staff Member Supporting Member

wow, the weight difference isn't as much as I thought it would be. But I think more importantly is that on the 18, the mass is further from the hub which is viewed as the larger factor for a 'performance loss'

19. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

Are you weighing the same tire on 2 different rims?

You can get a lighter tire, you just sacrifice sidewall rigidity. At 3500lbs +, tire roll > weight. IMO...

Oh, and that's 15.2 a reduction.

20. wrxin8or

wrxin8or Mullitt Staff Member

Not to mention it is a reduction of rotating mass, so that effect is compounded even more...

21. Millhouse04

Millhouse04 Member

Bones point if you can calculate the polar moment of inertia about the rotating axis; this is where the true reduction is. Even if it was the same weight, I would bet the rolling inertia is still better with the 17's.

I wish it was the same tire, but unfortunately it is not.

Would anyone happen to know someone running BBS 18's with DZII on them?
    15.2 lbs is also not that impressive, as a raw weight. I lost 35 lbs just with the muffler delete. :eek4:

22. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

23. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

The SPT one is even heavier than the stock one... lol

24. Millhouse04

Millhouse04 Member

I need to weight the spar tire and tools. I bet that is a good bit of weight too.
    I had a picture of the muffler weights, but lost them. I was trying to keep track of how much weight I have taken out.

Be for warned, Elena saw this and was really unhappy:eek:hnoes:
    I am not responsible for what may happen when she sees you next:eek3:
    I tried to tell her that it was actually really good. Seeing that it was only her 4th time driving like that and 3rd time competitively.

25. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

In other words I should wear a flame suit on the 19th. :eek:hnoes:

She is improving by leaps and bounds though, she is scrapping off ALOT of time every event. Katrina and Corrin have driven a lot more than she has, she's doing great.

Ya the mufflers on the hatches are HUGE, to hang that SPT one I had to set it on a jack and lift it up there so I could hang it. Its gotta be atleast 50 pounds.

I have my stock one still, but I have no scale to weight it with.

26. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

Can't take the heat, drive faster ;)

Rotational mass effects the braking first. If you spin both wheels at 60mph, which one is creating more force to slow down. I'm not a math guy, so I'm not going to even try, but point being, at speed (60mph) how much more does 3.8lbs way?

27. Millhouse04

Millhouse04 Member

I am going to have to disagree with the braking part. Yeah the brakes may have to work harder, but it was not like I was having a problem with it. As even with the factory breaks I could lock the tires up. Now I just do it quicker now with the HP+. And with 17's the HP+ might be to aggressive :/

I can agree with rotation inertia affecting acceleration.

28. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

You just have to use the hp+ in bursts rather than standing on it. If you drive it like you have zero abs they work considerably better.

29. Millhouse04

Millhouse04 Member

I think this true of any pad that can lock the wheel up :/

30. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

With the stock pads the ABS system and lines the system worked as intended, but anything more aggressive than the stock compound you are correct.

31. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

Everyone ready for the rain? Oh this is going to be fun!!!

32. Millhouse04

Millhouse04 Member

if your factory system cannot lock up (i.e. activate the ABS) then there is a problem with your system.

There are large discussion on performance brakes on many different forums. Some even get a little heated. My only point is that no matter the pad, if you can lock up the tire, you are going to get the exact same stoping distance. This is because the tire is sliding and doing all the 'braking.' The only difference is how much you have to push on the brake pedal.

I like the HP+, but I do find sometimes that it locks up faster, and I find myself going slower than I wanted. Because of this I am thinking of stepping down to HPS for my next set, to get better modulation. I could still stand on them and get the same results if I wanted.

33. Millhouse04

Millhouse04 Member

Just checked the registration list. Looks like we have another great showing in STU 7 of 8 and 2 novices! Hopping the rain holds out on Sunday; 90% thunderstorms, yikes!!

34. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

I know I am excited how many new folks are showing up for our class... However we still don't have many RWD competitors.

I am interested to see how the new Hawk 5.0 compound is in comparison between HPS and HP+.

35. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

I spoke with one of the compound developers at an event in Wisconsin. He said the StreetRace pads are the way to go for autocross. The initial grab is like the HP+, instant, but they don't get keep grabbing harder with heat. Meaning, they're easier to control with high temps like the HPS but with the initial grab of the HP+. They're also suppose to be quieter then the +'s. I never had a chance to try them out. I needed new pads before they were available for the WRX.

36. wrxin8or

Just looked it up....I guess my new car is in STU too. Will probably bring it out in FS first, but am definitely planning mods that would put me in STU.

Hrmm...

37. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

Excellent!!!

Yup the Mustang GTs are most def in STU.

38. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

My wife was playing in FS this weekend in TN. Mustang's just sit so low and have effortless torque, they're hard to beat. The Camaro was a pig.

39. wrxin8or

Yep, and with the better suspension on the GT PP cars, and Brembos, and big sticky tires...

40. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

The big sticky tires is a big one.

AWD cars in STU are limited to 245s, where as the RWD folks can go up to a 275.

41. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

and that's BS. I get 245 in STX, but in STU it should be at least 255.

42. wrxin8or

It is actually 285s for RWD ;)

43. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

Now that's just unfair... 275 last year was bad enough... they gave you guys 10 more mm...

44. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

Just got my new tires mounted... The car is at the shop getting the fenders rolled now. :naughty:

I need to get a scale out and weight the different on these things... between the lighter tires and wheels, its noticeable while loading the car...

45. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wheels and Tires mounted and installed...

17x9 +22 looks DAMN good on this car.

46. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

Bam. Single most important up grade.

47. Millhouse04

Millhouse04 Member

next coilovers!:naughty:

48. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

I think my next big mod is going to be POWAR!!!

49. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

You're running a K&N panel filter, right? That'll help. And both SBs?
    Coil-overs are over rated. I ran my OEMs for 5 years and won my class that way.

50. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

Yup K&n panel filter.

RCE yellow springs and their 25.5mm sways.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.