Exhaust Cutouts

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by nygiant, Dec 2, 2014.

1. nygiant

nygiant Member

I must say with the rentals and borrowing of friends cars during this time my car has been in the body shop, I have gotten used to the quiet morning start-ups. It's nice not sounding off in my neighborhood every morning at 645.

So I have been considering going back to stock type exhaust (with more aggressive tips) and putting in an exhaust cutout for when I want the noise. Coming to you as a semi-noob...what would I need to consider? How reliable are cutouts? How would the tune work? Which brands should I look at? Anything else you care to add?

Thanks

2. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

Where to buy them:

QTP: http://www.quicktimeperformance.com/QTEC/index.php
    BadlanzHPE: http://badlanzhpe.com/
    StreetPro: http://www.streetpro.us/
    McCord: http://www.mccordcg.com/mpp/order.htm
    ATP: http://www.atpturbo.com/root/releases/release091004.htm
    DMH: http://www.dmhperformance.com/

Good thread to read for info:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1037960&highlight=cutout

SOME BASIC THINGS TO KNOW:

1. Cutouts are welded into the downpipe
    2. Cutouts are insanely loud! Take the loudest Subaru exhaust you have heard and multiply it by 3. Cutouts make Harleys sound tame. It will make your ears ring.
    3. Cutouts will spit flames out under the car
    4. Cutouts are almost unbearable to use in stop and go traffic because of the fumes.
    5. Cutouts will leave a lot of soot under and on the sides of your car.
    6. Electric cutouts will all eventually leak from being over torqued over time. The leak sounds like a baseball card in bicycle spokes. If you already have a medium-loud catback, you won’t hear it. I have a STi axle back, thus I can hear my leak.
    7. Electric cutouts MUST be sealed around the motor with silicon or something similar. My cutout failed to corrosion after only 6 months due to rust. Since sealing the motor assembly, I haven’t had a problem.
    8. There is usually ground clearance issues associated with cutouts so make sure you have properly test fit where your cutout will sit once installed.

Article by "D-Speed 2.5" from Nasioc.

3. rsutton1223

rsutton1223 Obsessed Supporting Member

Needless to say...I love cutouts. I think the only time I close them now is in the neighborhood though. It is the difference between f'in loud and stock sounding though. Be prepared to be the loudest thing on the street when they are open. I haven't seen an install on a Subaru before but welding them as close to the muffler box is the best bet for the sound coming out like it is from the exhaust. I wouldn't be able to handle it in the downpipe or farther up. It would be unbearable in the car.

[youtube]kqDrr4Il0Zs[/youtube]

Last edited: Dec 2, 2014
  4. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

Doug@DMPMotorsports had boost activated cutouts on his 2008 STi. It was freaking awesome. His car sounded stock until he hit boost. I think his was activated around 8 psi. So around town driving it was bone stock sounding until he deliberately stomped the gas.

5. rsutton1223

Isn't that actually essentially just an ewg that isn't plumbed back into the downpipe? Electronic cutouts would be different.

6. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

I wouldn't think so. The volume of air coming through the exhaust is most likely way more than what comes through the EWG if you consider the actual size of the piping.

7. rsutton1223

I mean the electronic cutouts have an on/off switch. You could have your car sound normal under boost. Under that setup...you wouldn't be able to do that. So yes...a lot different.

8. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

Wouldn't your tune suffer? Wouldn't you need to load a map all the time depending on exhaust flow?

9. rsutton1223

Not if it was post downpipe/cats. Most cars these days (Subaru's included) neither lose or pickup anything from post downpipe/cat modifications. Exhausts are nothing but noise makers.

10. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

Really depends on what the end user wants.

Do you want to only be loud when you are getting on it?
    Do you want exclusive control on when it's activated? If so then it's either on or its off. You have to flip it back off when you are done....kinda annoying to me if you have to manually flip it.

Me personally I like the boost activated option.....it's all seamless and automated. You have to do nothing. Drive normal and easy, no one notices. Get on it and it opens up and really surprises folks. The manual cutout is just a hey I wanna show off option (just my opinion....I rode with a Blitz Nur Spec exhaust for a while and that got old). It's all cool but in my later years I've come to appreciate having to do less manually.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2014
  11. rsutton1223

Also...you are not just subtracting the exhaust...you are creating an opening before the muffler. It isn't like taking the exhaust completely off and running straight out the downpipel

12. rsutton1223

Mine is switch inside the car and it opens and closes fast. I don't like boost activated because there are times (like when I am driving in Mexico) that I want the car as quiet as possible at WOT. There are also tracks that have DB rules so you could keep it quiet then too.

13. rsutton1223

Here is a DMH (the brand I have) 2004 STI install. Post downpipe. Terrible audio quality but you'll get the point.

[youtube]ti0Ymm58sbI[/youtube]

[youtube]FUczeMHkTSs[/youtube]

14. nygiant

nygiant Member

Thanks for the info and replies.
    So what course of action is it suggested I take if I already have a 3" magnaflow on the car? Keep all the piping and replace the mufflers with stock, then cut and fit the cutout to the 3" piping?
    Or replace the entire exhaust with stock 2.5" exhaust and fit the cutout to that piping?

15. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

I would keep all piping up to axle back. Put cutout there and STi exhaust behind it.

16. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

Did you ever get it done?

I'm thinking of doing it on my sti. I just need to find a shop that does this type of work........

17. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

DBW Motorsports....

18. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

I'll contact them, thanks.

Wait, that's Doug's new shop? ehh?

19. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

Yup....he has done it on his 2008 STi and it worked flawless. May as well let the person that has actual working experience do it.

20. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

I don't know why I didn't think of him. Might as well get a pro tune as well.

21. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

Give him a call....his new shop is the way all shops should be. He doesn't do the backlog of cars like his former shop where you have a ton of customer cars sitting around waiting. 3-4 cars in the shop and he will not take in another until one leaves the shop. Just the way it should be.

22. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

Which means that there is a waiting list, most likely.

I sent him an email. I might give him a call as well.

23. nuyorican718

nuyorican718 Member

24. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

I'm kinda doing the total opposite....

I love the sound of my cobb exhaust, but it is too tamed, which I actually like. I just want the "ricey" option, too.

25. nuyorican718

nuyorican718 Member

You sound like me when I had my R32 and I went the open wastegate route. Sounded awesome for 3 days and then I was like eff this.

26. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

Not accurate.....I lost 15 hp on the dyno with a tip silencer installed.

27. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

Which is why I'm going with a cutout.

I can keep it closed/open to my choosing.

I had a straight pipe on my wrx, which is very close to the cutout I plan to run. Thing was LOUD!!

28. nuyorican718

nuyorican718 Member

No DETRIMENTAL losses. 15hp Can be from dirty filters, old oil, ambient temperature, false readings changing your timing, the dyno itself, boost. Although you lost 15hp you shouldve gained some tq out of it.

29. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

Back to back pulls on the dyno so 15 HP is detrimental. Wow a whopping 1.7 more tq.

30. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

I guess Doug is very busy. No replies to any of my attempts. :(

31. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

32. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

33. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

I tried calling as well. I was told that he would call me back shortly nut never did.

34. Doug@DBW Motorsports

Doug@DBW Motorsports Active Member

Sorry yesterday I was busy and then had to leave work early to pick up my kids so I wasn't able to call you right back then. But I did first thing this morning and left a message. Feel free to contact me at the shop as I do not frequent here as much as I should.