tail light vinyl overlay

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by STIstorm, Apr 26, 2015.

1. STIstorm

STIstorm Supporting Member

I know I can buy the tail light vinyl off Amazon, but I'm getting mixed reviews. Does anyone have experience with this product or a recommendation of a local shop that can vinyl tail lights.

2. AlexMoffitt

AlexMoffitt Member

I got super cheap stuff from Ebay. Figured worst case scenario I would just take it off and get the higher quality stuff later.

I had a tint guy do it at the same time he was doing my tint. It took him forever, but I'd say he did a pretty good job.

I just went out and took some pictures with my phone, the overlays are a much more realistic red than these images portray.

[​IMG]

Here's a little bit of peeling, but you have to get up close to notice this one, I highly doubt most people would notice unless they're looking for it.
    [​IMG]

And here's a little more peeling, also not very obvious.
    [​IMG]

3. STIstorm

Looks good. Biggest question is, do you like it.

4. AlexMoffitt

AlexMoffitt Member

They are a mod that I shouldn't have had to do. This is how the car should have came from the factory. I also have no regrets going the super cheap route. I've seen some that have discoloration and are turning orange, I'm not sure how long I have before mine start doing that, but I'll be changing them out pretty quickly when that happens.

The only car I think looks okay from the factory are the WRB hatches, that silver against the blue is a nice pop. But all the other colors need red in my opinion.

5. STIstorm

Yeah, it is a pain that we have to look at those nasty alteza style factory tail lights. You would think by now a company would just make some solid red ones for us. I'm headed to Sun tinting in Alpharetta today to see if they Erik do it or I'll just have to order the vinyl overlays. Thanks again for the photos and feedback.

6. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

7. STIstorm

8. Matt

9. STIstorm

We shall see. There were not any reviews on Amazon, so I figured it was hit or miss.

10. Matt

11. STIstorm

Put in my order with lamin-x today, hopefully it should not be that hard to get the vinyl on.

12. benfrancis

benfrancis Member

Post pics when finished. I've been on the fence about this for my car.

13. STIstorm

Will do. Should get it by Monday.

14. STIstorm

Well a total fail with lamin-x overlays. Was not enough vinyl to completely cover my lights. Very disappointed with this product.

15. Matt

that doesn't sound right.. have you contacted them about it yet?

16. slade1274

slade1274 Member

I had a fail with the blue-batmobile stuff, so I just bought a roll of the orcal and did it myself. The "extra" helped pull it in around the edges. Have some left still if you want to work out a deal

PM LoveMyNewSoob and see how he did... sold him some of it last year

17. STIstorm

No, I figure it wasn't worth it. I guess if my taillights were ment to be red they would have made it that way off the line.