2015 AutoX Thread

Discussion in 'Meetups & Events' started by ~The_Duke~, Feb 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wheeljack

Wheeljack New Member

Ready to go for tomorrow. I still haven't gotten around to getting new tires, so it will be old Z2s nearly down to the wear bars. Let's get wet.

2. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

So I weighted my stockers with tires and the Mach v's with tires.

Stock bbs with 245 40 nitto nt05 - 44.1 pounds
    Mach v wicked Awesomes with 265 35 Michelin PSS - 46.1

Ill weight the gram lights with bridge stones after I take them off the car.

3. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

4. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

STU couples time:

Zack and Katrina
    53.295+57.956=111.251

Adrian and Chandini
    59.022+61.910=120.932

Miles and Elana
    54.630+61.655=116.285

:clap:

Posted by Katrina

5. ApexShift

ApexShift Member

Thanks Zack, congrat's on winning STU and getting 4th in PAX! I was so happy to get into the 52's after you beat me! I just saw that they have me as FTD (fastest time of the day) at the bottom of the results. I was surprised after the course drying up in the last group.

It was shifting to third in the front straight like you mentioned. I took almost a second off just from that. It was also loosening the suspension and lowering the tires pressures (to what Miles suggested).

Miles pulled out some great times in the (mostly) dry for the very last run group. I would have loved to have had a chance to try the whole new setup on some dry ground!

I'm just glad that the car is finally feeling good again. I had it perfectly setup the season before last. Easily neutral and rotatable with the throttle. Then you newer STI guys came in and keeping up with stock or mild mods. Glad to have the competition though since it'll make me and everyone else much better drivers.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2015
  6. Millhouse04

Millhouse04 Member

Yeah, I am not going to mention the fastest TO I had in the 4th run group. But I will mention that I had 4 people in the car and it was still wet out (though it was starting to dry), and I put down a 52.1. Not sure why it was not in the result, but it was still fun. I had never "bused" that may people around.

I was surly having an off morning: I forgot our helmets, my driving shoes, and a memory card for the gopro. I figured out in the afternoon, I was just not being aggressive enough. I keep getting understeer and never powering out to oversteer :|. I will get you guys next time.

7. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

Great driving yesterday Zack! My best run wasn't smoking by any means, but it felt good to break into the 54s. But man, SM PAX sucks mother dick. Ouch. Raw I managed 15th but PAX I fall to 35th.

8. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

I want to mention that my 53.2 was when it was raining very steadily with ponding in the back section. :D lol

I could have shaved off another .5 - 1 second had I had enough grip to be able to brake properly. I had major lock up issues at the end of the front straight (on the bricks) and getting into the increase radius before the hair pin (on the bricks). I bought plowed through the cone walls as a result.

That was FUN course. I love the fast flowing ones like that.

Randall... I am telling you... you should put the M3 in STU with us... lol

Miles... Season Points.

2.7 Between us. :eek:hnoes: Its gonna be a good one this year...

Miles 297.5562878
    Zack 294.8268394

Last edited: Apr 20, 2015
  9. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

It fits into a few classes. STU/SM/DSP(?)/FS I need tires and a front bar, first. But I need to learn all kinds of new shit, there's not a lot of carry-over info.

Yesterday, until the water left, slow and tight was faster.

10. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

Were you the AWESOME announcer that was on the mic during the first run group? If so... dude... you need to announce all the time... lol

Randy I was taking EVERYTHING SUPER wide except the first 180 corner. I had my doors RIGHT next to every wall on the course.

11. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

I couldn't open the car up. Every time I almost got to the floor, the rear came out. Even on the long straight, I was on the limiter and crab-walking into the bricks. It's fun, but man its a handful. Zack, you need to jump in for a ride a long at the next event. It's pretty funny to see how much work it takes to go in a straight line. But it's so awesome when you do it right. So awesome :)

12. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

On my 2nd run I didnt brake till after the last gate on the straight, just before I got onto the bricks... Car was sidways and under braking with a smidge of understeer all at the same time... It was interesting...:coolugh:

I'll try to jump next event, are you in one of those SM 3 series with the HUGE motors?

13. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

By huge, you mean 3.0 straight 6? Then yes :)
    It's a S50 motor and other bits from an E36 M3 donor on a E30 chassis.

14. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

So rotational mass fans...

So the Gram Lights 17x9 with RE71R in a 245 45 17 weights 44.9 pounds

Gram light (17x9) + RE71R (245 45 17) = 44.9
    Stock BBS (18x8.5) + Nitto NT05 (245 40 18)- 44.1
    Mach V Wicked Awesome (18x9.5) + PSS (265 35 18) = 46.1

15. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

Are you running RE71Rs Zack? That sounds like the next tire to have. I'll be wrapping the M in them someday soon. I need to decide if I stick with the 19" wheels or go down to 18". Someone is recommending 18" with 265/35 up front and 19" with 295/30. Yeah, I said 295 :)

16. crazyazn

crazyazn I like naps Staff Member Supporting Member

295? psshh, no big deal. :p

17. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

I am running the re71r's and they did great. I can't wait to try them out on some dry pavement.

I would go with the 18 personally with the higher profile tire.

Btw... STU allows a 285 for RWD. :)

18. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

19. hey guys, this thread has been dead lately for the most part. I haven't posted in a few weeks due to some personal things. But who's gonna be at Points 4? ill be there Running PRO- G Stock in my new daily :)

20. Millhouse04

Millhouse04 Member

yeah, I saw the ford on FB, how do you like it?
    I will be at turner.

21. I like it a lot. Mainly got it to save $200+ per month, its extremely competitive with little to no mods, and its extremely fun to drive. cant complain about a X2 increase in gas mileage either from my daily haha. So far ive only built a custom muffler delete and just actually ordered wheels and tires last night to use for Autox Only. During a weekend test at roebling it was only 1.2 seconds slower than my sti was Bone stock vs Bone stock.So i'm Pleased with it so far

22. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

What flavor Brian, Focus ST or Fiesta ST?

23. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

I've heard good things about them.

One thing I will mention, make sure you charge pipe is securely fastened... I've heard of 2 or 3 folks having issues of them coming undone under hard driving conditions.

24. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

Focus

25. Matt is correct. 2015 Focus ST. ST2 package in Performance Blue with Blue/ black interior. just ordered a cheap GS wheel and tire setup last night. Im gonna run it in PRO-GS next Sunday

26. Zach, I actually fixed the Charge Pipe on Jason Yoo's Focus ST a few months ago haha. I think it has been fixed for 2015. the stock clamps aren't great, but that's mainly on higher than stock boost cars ( which Jason's car was at one time)

27. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

That was one of the folks I knew had the issue.

It happened at points 2, his gal pal was trying to figure out why she had no power all day.

28. ihavefat

ihavefat Member

Yeap and It came off again at points 2 ATL region autox....I got a t bolt clamp and hairspray...

29. Wheeljack

Wheeljack New Member

Yep that was me. I wish I could drive as fast as I talked. Hopefully, I'll do better at the next event with my new hankooks.

30. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

The RS3s are a great tire for the Twins to run. Just the right amount slip to rotate the car without risking the full 180° wipeout. I speak from experience ;)-

31. I'll be on rs3's also. Should be a lot of fun, the kooks will probably always be my favorite tire :)

32. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

Make sure you ask to be the announcer again plz!!! :bowdown:

Cant go wrong with the kooks for lighter cars. Great tire.

I am running the bridgestones, I am VERY eager to see how the do in the dry.

33. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

I can make this happen if you really want to be announcer :wiggle: Just say the word.

34. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

Wheeljack, are you running STX or CS? Locally we have a pretty good STX class, don't let that discourage you in any way. There's a guy running around at most events, Randall Prince. He's your BEST resource on setting up your car and getting driving instructions. He's been my reality check for years, if I can be within a second or 2 of his RAW time, I killed it by my standard.

35. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

Randall Prince is also the gentlemen who won the STX class at dixie driving a BRZ...

Last edited: May 12, 2015
  36. Wheeljack

Wheeljack New Member

I'm currently running CS as my BRZ is my daily driver and most of my racing budget is going towards my first child. I met Prince at the last event, and he was a really cool guy, not to mention ridiculously fast in that RX8.

I know that the RE71s are a bit faster than the RS3s, but I'm hoping to do some track events later this year, and I'm not sure how well the new Bridgestones will hold up. Depending on who you ask, Bridgestone developed the RE71 to be the perfect tire for four autocross runs. After that, they may not hold up. We'll have to see as the summer goes on.

37. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

My RE71R's are on a dedicated autox set of wheels, I would not recommend driving around on them. Just looking at how much wear they got from points 3. They are going to last the rest of the year but that's about it, maybe... lol

I wouldn't drive the tires much else where, they'd be gone QUICK.

38. crazyazn

i guess playing on the dragon this past weekend didn't help either of us in terms of tire carnage. I definitely have to rotate my set again. Though I think my tires are finally well scrubbed in and fairly grippy, just they are melting in these warmer temps

39. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

Since the tires I had on at the dragon are my DD set. :naughty:

I think those advans are good at high temps so you might have better grip with them as the weather gets warmer outside. I know the Nittos I had LOVED the days that it was 90+ degrees outside.

40. crazyazn

sigh, one day i will afford a second set of wheels and tires! lol

i agree, the advans definitely started to feel better on the run back to the gas station, but they also seem to wear exponentially faster then :( Guess thats the trade off

41. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

More grip = less life
    More life = less grip

Same goes for brake pads...

I was very impressed with the PSS's on the dragon trip, I didn't think a 300 tread tire would be that grippy.

42. crazyazn

Yeah, i hate how that works out, darn physics :p

Also, the dragon a year and a half ago is where I fell in love with using PSS's. They grip so well and can really take a beating and handle a lot of heat build up from several back to back runs. Then there is the really good wet traction to boot.

43. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

We have less then stellar wear with the RS3's on the E30. There's no way they'd last a season with 2 drivers. Less then 50% left after 4 months :( The Z2's were my DDs & 2 driver auto-x tires. Thinking back, thats' pretty impressive tire life for 200TW.

44. Millhouse04

Millhouse04 Member

So what is the tire choice for rain? Seeing that we may have yet another wet event. :eek:hnoes:
    Special groved DZII/RS3/RE71R/... Or is that allowed

45. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

Just normal RE71R's seem to work fairly well for the rain. The lateral grip was quite good, braking grip was fair at best though. Getting the car to slow down was interesting. lol

It doesn't say that you cant do that in the rules... but it also states if its not listed as permissible that it isn't. So I am not sure.

Personally I love the rain events, so its not concern to me if it rains. :naughty:

46. ive seen Advans go 300+ runs before and still be fast :)

47. crazyazn

well that makes me feel a lot more hopeful on being able to have tires for a while :)

48. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

Another good tire choice that comes in your amazingly HUGE tire size... is the Toyo R888. Its also about $100 cheaper than the yoko's...

All I have to say is... those things are EXPENSIVE... :eek3:

49. I honestly haven't heard much good out of the R888. most people I talk to that club race or do time trials say that the RA1 is the better tire of the 2. the Advans are amazing. just pricey, they have been shown to last a long time on a properly setup and driven car though. these that lasted 300+ runs were on a nationally competitive rx8

50. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

I need to figure out tires/wheel combo for next season. I'll probably be out of a ride next year. I'm going to time-only the M this weekend, see if it's even a road I want to go down. The way the rules have changed in Street Class, we can go down an inch in diameter, but I can't change the wheel width from factory. Pre-2011 came with 8.5/9.5 19s, 2011+ came with 9/10 18s. Far better tire choices. I'd like to run a Square set-up, but getting 275's on the front is going to be tight.

And it sounds like, it's now the RE71s putting up faster times then the ZII's.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.