2015 AutoX Thread

Discussion in 'Meetups & Events' started by ~The_Duke~, Feb 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Millhouse04

Millhouse04 Member

When in doubt flat out!

My passenger seat is almost always open, if anyone wants a ride along. Elena cannot stand to be a passenger with my driving style. Also if I am free, I would be more than happy to ride along with you and give some pointers.

AWD drive when let lose can be a lot of fun! This car is the most fun I have had in any vehicle that I have driven.

2. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

That's one of my issues, braking points, then giving it to much brake killing my entry speed. I need to get used to just tossing the car into the corner and scrubbing off speed that. With my wheels and tires now, I've more or less killed all of the understeer.

3. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

STM is an odd class here. No one runs it, because it's a throwaway class, it's not designed to be a true class as anything goes with the cars. Sans R-Comps of course. There's no real way to PAX cars running STM.

We ran the E30 in SM on RS3s until we found a used set of R-Comps. They average about $180 a set, used. We'll go through about 2 sets this year. But, we could see how much slower we were compared to the other SM cars with us on street tires. It's a nice base line. If you're not looking for year-end points, and that's why you run STM, why not run SM get a PAX and see how you fall in the group of drivers. Nothing lost either way. Valuable data can be see as you tweak your car and get better in the seat. In theory, R-Comps are worth about 2sec. So, if you're only 2sec behind the leader, you have something tangible to work toward. I know there are a couple cars in SM running street tires this year. Food for thought.

I'm not trying to dis STM at all, I think it can be a fun class. Run what you have and the best RAW time wins. You just need more cars for it to be fun.

4. SubieEngineer

SubieEngineer Member

^ Well, that's pretty much the case in Houston, East TN, and Chattanooga Regions. I loved it back in TN because it was the easiest way to class new people for their first event, and it wasn't unusual to have 8+ drivers in the class. Then I moved to Houston and there's 10+ almost every event, with some STU-prepped Evos running it (and one particular E36 M3).

Having said that, yeah, it sucks without more than 1-3 people, but it is what it is. Looking at the preliminary results, I finished 2nd of 3 in STM and would've been 3 of 5 in SM, so I think I'll run SM next event! :rofl:

Last edited: Jun 24, 2015
  5. crazyazn

crazyazn I like naps Staff Member Supporting Member

Was nice meeting and talking to ya at Corner 2 (or 3?), Marcus! Also yes, come join me in SM, especially if you aren't too worried over points, I'm one of I think 3 street tire people in that class, but so far the only novice in experience. It's a pretty tough class.

6. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

You're picking up what I'm layin' down...

So, comparing the ATL region to others, what's the biggest difference you notice? I have thick skin, you can be honest. I've been to ETR events, Chattanooga lost their site, but I know nothing about the TX regions. I know they have about the same number of people at Nats as the ATL does, but it's a really big state. Are the events as large as they have been here this year?

BTW, we're having one of our biggest turnouts at every event this year. Thank you to all who are coming out. You're making STU/STX great classes to compete in. Our smallest event was Pnts#1 with about 120 drivers. Our biggest was 2 or 3 and we had 240 drivers. That's a shit ton right there...

7. crazyazn

8. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

There are some really good shots in there again... bravo Jeff!!

9. wrxin8or

wrxin8or Mullitt Staff Member

He has a really nice camera

10. crazyazn

shhh dont tell everyone the secret.

11. SubieEngineer

SubieEngineer Member

Great shots! :D

I loved watching the guy in the 4th gen Maxima! I used to AX an automatic 5th gen back in the day.

Also, what class is CMC...? I remember the lowered white Dakota being in it.

Honestly, I really like how AR has morning and afternoon groups. I'm a perpetual night owl, so knowing when I run works great for me! ETR typically has 60-100 unless it's a special event, then maybe 100-125. At least, this was when I last ran with them, back in 2012/2013. Houston typically has around the 90-125 range. My one big complaint about Houston is that they're working on phasing out walk-up registration, which I believe will make it much harder to attract new people. I'm sure you've had plenty of conversations with people that can't decided until the night before or morning of that they want to attend an event.

As for registration, I loved handling payment online. I just walked up and checked in, no line. Houston and ETR both typically have lines for registration, even though you can preregister online (and pay with Houston).

Way back in 08 I found myself in DC and did an event with them, 200+ cars like it was nothing! Basically had to play Frogger to get to my on-course work assignment. But they had a family that brought in a trailer-size smoker with delicious sandwiches!

Last edited: Jun 25, 2015
  12. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

CMC = Caribbean Motor Club. We made a class just for them. They don't care about "classing" cars. So it's a nice way to get a car group out there to help cover costs and spread the fun.

We killed walk-up registration. It was too nuts trying to enter all the new folks into AXware on-site. They have until Saturday @ 9pm to pull the trigger. I believe no-shows get to transfer their registration money to a future event.

13. SubieEngineer

SubieEngineer Member

Ahhhhhh.... Yeah, that's a nice idea to simplify things!

Yeah, I can understand that. At least your cutoff is solid! I read the T&C, you have until 9pm the day of the event to cancel else you loose the money spent. Perfectly fair to me! Those long check-in lines suck, so I can understand that side of killing walk-ups.

14. Millhouse04

Millhouse04 Member

15. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

I wonder if we're going to run the same course a different direction each day.

16. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

I bet it'll depend on wither there will be someone watching the lot over night or not.

If we have to tear down after Saturday, and then re-setup Sunday there wouldn't be much point in a course reversal.

Just a thought.

17. SubieEngineer

SubieEngineer Member

In for SM on Rivals. :D

18. crazyazn

yay! I should be in for at least one, hopefully both. Really hope it won't be too hot, the heat was killer last event out on course the whole day

19. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

We corded another set of R-Comps this weekend. Not sure what class I'll run in. It'll be GS (most probable), FS, SM on staggered R-comps Hoosiers/Toyos or EM... So many choices :naughty:

20. SubieEngineer

SubieEngineer Member

The summer always kills me at AX events... Blah. :|

21. ihavefat

ihavefat Member

GS? ;) which car

22. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

Lee/Judson bought a FoST. We're going to run it at Nationals this year, so we need seat time in it. I've never AXed a FWD car, should be fun. How much understeer should I be ready for? Do they turn in like a stock WRX (pre-2015)?

23. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

2 Words... Liftoff Oversteer...

It is alil understeerie under throttle but that was about the only time I noticed anything when I was driving a novice's ST. You'll have fun with it.

24. ihavefat

ihavefat Member

Oh, is that the gentleman that bought Ray's ST?
    Are you guys racing this weekend with the ST?

There should be barely any understeer and you shouldn't experience any snap oversteer since Ray had the Strano RSB

25. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

Yeah, we'll be there both days in it. And was, it was Ray's car. Sounds like he knew what he was doing setting it up :naughty:

Every time I see your screen name I think of these guys. Great music, vocals are a bit rough.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEN1YKL6iEI

Last edited: Jul 7, 2015
  26. Millhouse04

Millhouse04 Member

Such a small run group so far for Saturday and Sunday, both <100.
    IIRC Saturday is already locked in, being 2 days way.

27. ihavefat

ihavefat Member

LOL! That is great music. Added to my workout playlist.

Sounds like I may be DFL in GS this weekend lol

28. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

Did you see that someone from mid ga signed up with a WS6? I'm interested to see how they do.

29. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

One ran at the AL event a few weeks ago. His mid-pipe was too close to the ground and couldn't go fast over the rough areas. Sounded nice though.

So, I'm running the GS FoST in SM this weekend. My work assignment is getting in the way of the GS class' run session. First time in the car, I don't expect much. GS is a NICE PAX class to run in PRO.

30. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

Guess who ended up swapping out a wheel stud when he got back home!

This guy that's who...

Its good to go for tomorrow, ARP's inbound...

31. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

32. SubieEngineer

SubieEngineer Member

33. bstuke

bstuke Member

And he beat me...

34. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

You took the line I should have been taking through that fast section Sunday, good job.

35. SubieEngineer

SubieEngineer Member

Thanks! That line felt damn good, and I suspect I could've tried flat-footing all of it. Never felt quite confident enough to do that, though. But on my last run, the fast section just felt so nice. :wiggle:

36. bstuke

bstuke Member

37. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

38. Millhouse04

Millhouse04 Member

this makes me want to get coilovers ASAP
    [youtube]ca3KmMZ577o[/youtube]

Last edited: Aug 6, 2015
  39. SubieEngineer

SubieEngineer Member

^ Same. I have tires, just need a better-performing suspension setup beyond spring/strut.

40. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

So given that new tire rules that will likely go into place next year allowing for a 255 of AWD and MR cars...

What wheels is everyone looking at?

RPF1 in a 18x10 is almost certainly on the list...

My gold wheels, Mach V Motorsports Wick Awesomes are on the list in a 18x9.5 +42

I was looking at the Wedssport TC105N in a 18x9.5 +35, which are lighter than the RPF1 but so pricey.

Anyone have any other choices?

41. Millhouse04

Millhouse04 Member

I am plaining to stay with 17's and go with a 10" width, but I think it going to come down to tire options at there are plenty of wheel options.

255/45R17
    • currently none :|
    255/45R18
    • currently none
    255/40R18
    • POTENZA RE-71R
    255/40R17
    • G-FORCE RIVAL (S)
    • POTENZA RE-71R
    • DIREZZA ZII STAR SPEC
    • VENTUS R-S3 (VERSION 2)
    • PROXES R1R
    So the 255/40R17 looks the best if you want a lot of tire chooses. Though I am not sure if I want the 2.7 mph reduction at 60 for the 40% sidewall. Great for acceleration but may have to shift more.

So I am waiting to see if any of the companies start making more 255 options between now and next season.

42. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

Bridgestone, BFG and Dunlop usually have booths at Nationals. I'll stop in and ask if new sizes are on the way.

43. Millhouse04

Millhouse04 Member

:clap:
    A good reason to go to Nat.
    Maybe next year

44. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

I think I am going to go with an 255 40 18 even though tires are more expensive.

Its a 1 inch height difference, I haven't done the math but that's prolly about 2-3 mph at the top of 2nd.

If they do come out with a 255 45 18 that will be great with a 10" wide wheel, if they only go with 255 40 18s a 9.5" might be better.

I have 265s on my 18x9.5s right for my street tires a 255 would look very similar to the 245 on a 9" that we are running now.

45. Wheeljack

Wheeljack New Member

Speaking of nationals, is anyone on here going besides Superdude? I've been asked to announce, and I'm trying to either find a seat as a codriver or see if someone else would like to codrive my car.

46. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

Side note, what's the name of your podcast again? My brain is mush after every event and I keep forgetting. Maybe it's my old age kicking in...

An OPEN seat for Nats? Someone surely wants to party in a parking lot for 7 days straight. Oh and drive on 2 of those days on the most hugest courses in all the land :naughty:

47. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

So how far is the drive out there? lol

48. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

Topeka, KS is about 13 hours away at the fastest route.

edit: it's in Nebraska... which is closer to 15 hours way.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2015
  49. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

It took about 14 hours to get home last year, with a few stops for food and gas. We bounced in the WRX the whole way. Georgia to Iowa to Nebraska and back to Georgia. This year it'll be straight there and back.

Check out the size of the lot :)
    http://tinyurl.com/qzox6x7

50. Wheeljack

Wheeljack New Member

Right now, I'm planning on driving out Tuesday, car prep, evo school (maybe) and course walk on Wednesday, and race and announce on Thursday and Friday. The car is a stock BRZ with no mods other than a Perrin FSB and RE71s. Probably not enough to trophy even if you are a good driver, but still enough to not finish DFL.
    The podcast is Reels and Wheels. We're on itunes and sticher. Our last episode was on Back to the Future where we had Mr. Regular from Regular Car Reviews. It's a good way to pass the time on an Atlanta to Nebraska road trip.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.