Rim advice

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by SonicBoom, Dec 1, 2015.

1. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

So.. I got forced off the highway on 400 south at Northridge ... Hit the part where the exit pavement and the grass meet. Tires didn't blow out, but the rear is bent and losing air.. Front is bent too but holds air and isn't as bad. It is a base 2013 Camaro (V6) with the steel 18's.. Calling around, I'm being told steel wheels can't be repaired. Can anyone confirm? So it's looking like I need at least one OEM replacement, should probably do both. Chevy wants $297 a wheel. I'm getting estimates from discount tire and one other shop. Anyone have a recommendation for shops or pull apart places? This is a lease.. Turning in in 8 months.. Want to spend as little as possible.. Thx guys

2. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

steel wheels can't be repaired. you're gonna have to buy new wheels.

sucks. but at least that's all the damage is. :)

3. Matt

4. Matt

Also, I'm willing to bet you can find some takeoffs on a camaro forum of facebook group for pretty cheap.

5. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

Found a place that is getting them for me for $91 each.... not too bad at all... Just have to wait until Friday or maybe Monday which sucks.

6. b reel

b reel Active Member

Since when can you not repair a steel rim? They've been doing it for a hundred freaking years

Certi-fix 770-302-0820 local but on southside

You can text a pic of the rims along with info to 770 691-2552 for a quote.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2015
  7. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

^^ Had 3 different shops tell me it couldn't be done (Red Line Rim Repair, Alloy Wheel Repair and one other). Something about having to get the metal hot enough to bend degrading the steels integrity... Either way, it sounds like the price to repair is more than the quote I got to replace ($91 per rim to replace, $130+ for repairs).. So, even if they are repairable.. it sounds like replacing is the way to go.

8. b reel

b reel Active Member

So I guess you didn't contact certifix?

9. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

I did not... $91 for like new/refurb rims over repaired rims just sounds like a better and safer option. Not sure what Certifix charges, but considering the other rim repair places want $135-165 a rim, I'm guessing Certifix can't be far off of that. I appreciate the advice though :)

10. TURBOH4

TURBOH4 Member

I can't believe you can still buy a damn sports car with steelies. What century is this?

11. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

Lol... I wanted to go cheap this time around to concentrate my money on other things. Stock V6 Camaro still looks sweet, reasonably fast with 323HP.. and only 23K... The steelies actually are pretty nice :) The good news is I got 2 new rims (not reconditioned) installed for $207 total. Which is great because the nearest competitor was $300 per rim... and repair, even if it could be done, was $130 a rim minimum. I got out pretty cheep.