Here Comes Winter - Tire/Wheel Combo Advice Please!

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by TURBOH4, Dec 8, 2015.

1. TURBOH4

TURBOH4 Member

Hey y'all,

I know this gets asked and answered a ton, but I'm really just looking for some advice on a secondary set of wheels and tires for winter weather.

Right now my '14 STi is sitting on the stock Dunlops and the 18" BBS wheels (since it's a limited). I'm under the impression that dropping down to 17's will improve my tire selection. Plus I wouldn't mind a little more sidewall for wintry conditions; to a layman such as myself, it seems like a taller tire will perform better.

Anyway, these aren't going to be DD'ed and are staying packed up in my garage. They're only going on in case of and/or during winter conditions. They may also go on for a small road trip (~800mi round trip) at the beginning of next year...maybe.

For tires I was thinking Blizzaks but are those really the best for driving not-on-snow/ice? I wouldn't want to destroy the integrity of the tires by driving 800mi on dry pavement. Where I'm going (mountains of KY), though, there's a good chance of there being a foot or two of snowfall and/or ice on the road.

For wheels, this is where I'm kind of lost. I know all the measurements and such but trying to find something cheap that will fit the car (and also matching the tires up) seems daunting. This is where I really need the most help. Ultimately, I'm looking for cheap steelies that are basically disposable. I don't see the point in buying nice wheels just so they can sit/get damaged.

TL;DR:

Need tire/wheel combo suggestions. Want cheap (17" hopefully) wheels and good tires for snow/ice and that can manage at least one road trip without being completely destroyed.

Thanks!!

2. wrxin8or

wrxin8or Mullitt Staff Member

3. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

you just need a good set of all season tires and you shouldn't have any issues.

michelin pilot sport a/s3 is what I run

4. TURBOH4

TURBOH4 Member

Well, that kind-of defeats my purpose in doing it. I'd like to have dedicated tires for summer and winter.

5. Matt

Atlanta really doesn't have the need for a dedicated winter tire. It's just not that snowy here.

6. LoveMyNewSoob

LoveMyNewSoob Member

I have heard the continentals work really well too. During snowmageddon I had summer tires on and was truley impressed at the capability the AWD system. I able able to drive all over (and then find a nice big parking lot for fun time :wiggle:)
    I agree with Matt, not sure there is enough snow here for a dedicated set...spend that money on designated track set up! Teehee

7. GTscoob

GTscoob Black is Beautiful

You really dont need snow tires unless there is snow on the ground. Get some high performance all-seasons and run them in the winter. Conti DWS has worked well in the winter in my experience. Potenza S03 wasnt even that bad in the snow and ice a few years back.

8. Matt

and let's be real here. In Atlanta, it rains, ices over, then snows... so just about ANY tire on a wrx is pointless here.

9. b reel

b reel Active Member

Only reason to buy snow tires in the south is if you plan to run rallyx or planning a winter road trip to Canada