Jeremy's 2009 STi

Discussion in 'Member Journals & Project Build Stories' started by LoveMyNewSoob, Feb 21, 2016.

1. LoveMyNewSoob

LoveMyNewSoob Member

I have been a member on here long enough now, and done enough things to the car (each one being "the last") that I figured it was time to start a journal as there are a few more things coming. I have had the car since January 2012 when I bought it used. It was sitting at a Lexus dealership on the front row speaking to me every time I drove home. This is what she replaced:

[​IMG]

And this is her first day home:

[​IMG]

I need to track down the photos of the added goodies and post them.

Forgot to mention that it was stock except for a cat back exhaust. T1R Sparrow.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2016
  2. LoveMyNewSoob

LoveMyNewSoob Member

First thing was to put the fun carrier on top. Camping, biking, and kayaking, it needed this addition. I also added the rear bumper guard.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. LoveMyNewSoob

LoveMyNewSoob Member

Video I made of the exhaust that came on the car. I really like it. I've only seen a few other people that have this.

https://youtu.be/VMD21uELKIk

The color on the tips has been rubbed off on the top of the pipe from track days without proper hangers. The swaying of the exhaust not only rubbed the blue off, but also melted the bumper a bit. :eek3:

4. LoveMyNewSoob

LoveMyNewSoob Member

Then after reading up on some things and seeing some other cars, it was time for some go faster parts:

AP V2 - One of the best mods so far

Red Stripe :)

[​IMG]

And this beaut - Invidia Catted Divorced 2 bung DP

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. LoveMyNewSoob

LoveMyNewSoob Member

Crappy cell phone shot of the DP installed with Cobb heat shield.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 24, 2016
  6. LoveMyNewSoob

LoveMyNewSoob Member

Now it was time to see what this baby had. This picture LOOKS like I'm in last place, but in actuality, I am about to lap them. :squint:
    Not really though. It was a fun day out at AMP, and I learned quite a bit. This was my second time out there, and with this being my daily driver, I took it pretty easy. But, learned that she may need some more parts...

[​IMG]

7. LoveMyNewSoob

LoveMyNewSoob Member

So with the car all over the place on the track, it was time for sway bars. I was able to get Robb's RCE's off of him as he was parting out his car. This is probably my second favorite mod so far. These really made the car feel like it wanted to be in the corners. Noticeable difference over stock. Pictures of stock v RCE

Front (RCE on top)

[​IMG]

Rear (RCE at bottom)

[​IMG]

8. LoveMyNewSoob

LoveMyNewSoob Member

sneak peak of what got put on today...

[​IMG]

9. LoveMyNewSoob

LoveMyNewSoob Member

More exterior bits.
    Decided to extend the red stripe up over the headlights.

[​IMG]

Tail Lights and top mount light:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 13, 2016
  10. FACE

FACE Active Member

Nice job on the tail lights! This is one of the first things I did as well!

11. benfrancis

benfrancis Member

Saw your car the other day commuting up 41 near cumberland. I dig the new wheels!

12. LoveMyNewSoob

LoveMyNewSoob Member

Thanks. I wasn't sure I would like it, but I think they look much better red than the altezza, or whatever it's called. Unfortunately, it wasn't the greatest job, so they are starting to peal. I will probable end up painting them, because putting the vinyl on was PITA!

13. LoveMyNewSoob

LoveMyNewSoob Member

Thanks! I am really happy I finally pulled the trigger on them. Pics soon to come!

14. LoveMyNewSoob

LoveMyNewSoob Member

Next up...springs. Went with RCE Regular Guy Blacks. Not much of a difference in height, but felt more responsive.

[​IMG]

The before pictures I took don't really show anything...
    Not really sure these after pics do either :rofl:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The result of new springs and sways = 3 wheeling at the track!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 9, 2016
  15. LoveMyNewSoob

LoveMyNewSoob Member

Next on the list was a vinyl wrapped roof. I had been looking at pictures on NASIOC for the longest time, and finally decided to try it. I don't like the matte, or carbon look, as for me, it does not go with the rest of the car. So, I went with 3M gloss black vinyl. What do you think?

Before:

[​IMG]

After:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I really like the way it turned out. The wife even approves. There was a wrinkle in the middle that i couldn't get out, so I cut it out and put a piece to fit on. Around the edges it not as good as I'd like, but for $80 off Amazon and a couple hours of time, I can live with it for now. The other downside, is it is kind of hard to tell it's even on there with my roof rack. At a couple of meets, people didn't even see it...

16. bluedestiny

bluedestiny Supporting Member

Its really coming together!

17. LoveMyNewSoob

LoveMyNewSoob Member

more exterior:

After doing the roof, I still had some extra vinyl around, so I decided to add "eyelids" to the headlights. To me, it flows well with the plastic bit in the grill. I also like the way it looks with the red stripe I continued from the grill up over the headlights. And, if I get tired of it...it peels off!

[​IMG]

And yes, I have a marker in my garage. That is for ample work bench space and to free up the dart board alley. :)

18. LoveMyNewSoob

LoveMyNewSoob Member

Since owning the car, for some reason it has been plagued with stud and lug issues. I lost count a while ago on how many of those things I have replaced. No one seemed to be able to determine the cause which was annoying too. So, to cut my loses, I just upgraded to ARP studs and Muteki lugs. I also ordered some Kart Boy exhaust hangers to stop swaying back and forth on track days that was melting holes in the side of the rear bumper. Now, so sway, not stud/lug issues. Thank you All Pro for installing the studs!

[​IMG]

Much happier with piece of mind.

J_P likes this.
  19. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

Hope this upgrade resolves your issues. Any chance the lugs have been repeatedly over torqued?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

20. b reel

b reel Active Member

steel lugs or steel seats on lightweight lugs will distort the mating surface on Aluminum rims if ran loose or overtightened so you might want to double check for signs of wear and/or galling of the metal. It's a simple repair at the right place. Not sure on the northside but certi-fix.com (404-600-6629) can resurface the lug pockets on the rims

J_P likes this.
  21. LoveMyNewSoob

LoveMyNewSoob Member

Thanks for the info! They new studs and lugs are already installed and so far I have not had any issues. Just got new wheels a little while ago, so hopefully there are no issues with the lug pocket for a while!

22. LoveMyNewSoob

LoveMyNewSoob Member

I heard over torqued, under torqued, wheel sliding on threads...etc. I was extra careful when I was removing and re-installing the wheels, but it just kept happening. New wheels, lugs, studs...so hopefully no longer! :)

23. Alex

Random question but would you happen to know how accurate your torque wrench us?

24. LoveMyNewSoob

LoveMyNewSoob Member

Good question, and no I don't. It was a fairly new wrench though. I also wasn't the only torquing them (dealership, tire places. etc.)

25. Alex

Ah yeah, we all know how that goes. You can often request that the shops use a wrench and not a gun to reinstall the lug nuts, but you sound like you already know that[emoji14]

26. LoveMyNewSoob

LoveMyNewSoob Member

I got tired of hearing my wife comment on how wimpy my horn was, so it was time to upgrade. Now, the comments are no longer. :D hornb.jpg horna.jpg

The Grimmspeed bracket it made them VERY easy to install.

J_P and Drowland87 like this.
  27. Alex

Looks good! Did you also use a wiring harness or just wire them up yourself?