2016 Autocross thread

Discussion in 'Meetups & Events' started by Millhouse04, Jan 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

I am rooming with Dave and Princess, I don't even know where we're staying yet. I think I ought to find out... lol

What's the paddock surface like? Is it grass, gravel, or pavement? I have a tent, but I have nothing to weigh down the corners in case of wind.

2. dwx

dwx Member

3. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

I'll put it this way, I don't have a bed. I have a military style cot I bought at wally world. lol

I'll prolly be napping on it if its not raining Friday when I arrive.

4. SubieEngineer

SubieEngineer Member

You boys have fun down in Dixie! My plan is to have my STI tuned, aligned, cleaned up, and ready for sale (again) by the first weekend in April. After that, I can really focus on its replacement!

True. But, money has been tight lately, so I'm trying to make the most of what I have! I may do the Thunder in the Valley at Bristol in TN in May, we'll see.

Exactly! You should do a quick CL search and see what people want for salvage title Z's.... Holey crap! :eek3::|

5. dwx

dwx Member

They do allow camping at the site, if you have a tent. :)

6. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

I have one of those easy up canopy things that I will most likely be bringing for either shade or to keep rain out of our drinks. :naughty:

7. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

I believe most of the hotels on the same corner for the most part.

Yeah, you park/tent/drop your shit in the grass and do your wheel changes wherever you can. You can use someones' street wheel set you tie down the tent. Bring some rope with you. That's what we'll be doing. Assuming I can get an easy-up in the back of a BRZ.

8. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

*Fist Pump* Hatchback FTW.

9. Millhouse04

Millhouse04 Member

I don't know why, but this had me ROTFLMAO
    Good luck to everyone going. I might actually make it to one of these one year, once I have a better prepped car.

10. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

I just want to see how I'll do against national level folks, plus its an entire weekend of autox... It going to be impossible not to have fun. Even with the threat of rain.

Have you bought new rubber yet?:wiggle:

11. Millhouse04

Millhouse04 Member

Not yet :wtc: I have to get enough $$ for wheels and rubber.

Though I think I am due for a bonus in the next few weeks.

12. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

The Costco up in Cumming has the part number to be able to order the Bridgestone from them. They should be able to give it you over the phone. That'll help save a couple of pennies.

13. dwx

dwx Member

Yeah I had heard about Costco being able to get them. I'm not a Costco member but was going to have a friend get a set for me. They have a $70 discount off BS tires until April 6th.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2016
  14. Millhouse04

Millhouse04 Member

I don't have a Costco Membership either. It would be interesting to see there pricing though. Brian Tyson gave me the web address onlinetires.com; which has 4 265/35-R18 shipped for $1,042.78 and TireRack.com wanted $1,043.60 before shipping.

15. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

Don't worry about your level of set-up. It's more about the time spent with the folks that make it so much fun. In the end, you've driven maybe 6 min in 60 hours. It's a party with racing in the middle of it just for bragging rights.

We drove a WRX in STX for 5 years. Took it to Nationals. I didn't finish last, even showed in the middle of the 70+ STX class. That's a huge win for me. And, if I can be honest here, we ain't at Nationals' level. We're at the bottom of good, maybe the top of OK :D

Last edited: Mar 17, 2016
  16. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

I got them installed for that price after tax.

17. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

I'd be happy with not DFL... lol

18. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

See everyone that's going down there, I'll be leaving at the ass crack of dawn...

Everyone else, wish us late in our endless pursuit of not being DFL! :wavey:

19. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

I had a chat with the other Subaru guy in STU this weekend about coilovers...

So he has the RCE T2's on there, he was very unhappy with the fact that you couldn't re-valve them. I asked if KW would do it since, and based on what he said no one will re-valve the KW hardware... Which is not good news.

So... has anyone have any experience with other companies like Tien, Ohlins, Koni, or another notable product and doing custom valving etc?

The research begins...

20. Millhouse04

Millhouse04 Member

Yes! I know BC will re-vavle and put any custom Swift spring on there.

FYI I have been looking at these spring combos for the GR ;)

kg/mm lbf/in
    8F /10R 448F/560R std BC spring set
    12F/15R 672F/840R what I may start at
    13F/16R 728F/896R fastest AutoXing GR setup:eek3:

Yes higher spring rates in the rear, because the ratio is different, than the front.

21. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

After this weekend I think I agree with the latter 2 as far as spring rates go.

The thing I am concerned about going from the stock strut\RCE spring set up I am on now is maintaining how the handling feel is. Right now I am getting almost no understeer, and just a tad of corner exit oversteer. Its just about perfect feeling. So I am thinking of maintaining the same F/R ratio, but just raising the spring rate.

This upgrade wont be for a while, so plenty of time to do reading...

I noticed more than usual how much speed I've been giving up on things like high speed offsets, the other guys were able to take these at almost full speed in class, but I was having to do the brake stab and turn get the nose to tuck in. This was also supported by where the marks on the cones I hit were. Instead of hit them at the skirt or bottom of the door, my cone marks are half way up the door...

I also found out 1 thing... My rear RA mud flaps may need trimmed or removed... My 2 fastest runs had 2 cone bobbles in slaloms due barely brushing the cone with the edge of the mud flap.

22. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

23. bstuke

bstuke Member

If anyone is going to Mitty I will be there Friday and Sunday at least with the 818R. It is still for sale if you are interested in it. Friday at the DIY Autotune booth in the infield and Sunday hanging with the CMC folks at the annual GRM Skidpad Challenge. Hopefully no 9 year old kids in quarter midgets.. :)

24. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

25. David99

David99 New Member

26. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

The rules have already changed, everyone at Dixie was running 265s already.

27. David99

David99 New Member

I'm good on tires, running 255 now. Talking about the rule that is going to move the Wrx to STX.

28. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

I support that rule change, I didn't read anything about it in the rules draft from earlier this year though.

The reason they are in STU from my understanding was they are 2.5L Turbo AWD cars. STX has the all of the boost buggies that are 2.0L Turbo AWD.

I do think its a good change though, the 2011 - 14 WRX would be a very competitive car in that class.

29. David99

David99 New Member

The proposed rule I saw was in the Fastrack newsletter. It would suck for me since STX does not allow wheels wider than 8" and I just upgraded to 9".

Duke, are you running this weekend I need someone to chase. :) There's not a whole lot of people signed up yet.

30. dwx

dwx Member

I will be there in STX.

Still not too many people signed up, although I know the last time there weren't many either until the last minute. Weather will be great.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2016
  31. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

I will be, I just signed up last night.

I have no worry about you running STU. :)

32. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

The less people that run, the more runs we get. Win! Already getting 6 runs as it is.

33. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

That really fun even this past weekend did not do wonders for my addiction... I am going through withdrawals after only 24 hours... lol

Results!

http://live.axti.me/results/NkLII-Pl-

It'll be interesting how STU shakes out once Marcus and Miles get some new rubber... The gents in STX had a GOOD day, having driven an FRS around with a novice I can see where an STX FRS/BRZ would have done GREAT on that course. No braking... no braking at all...

34. dwx

dwx Member

Haha there was definitely braking. I shifted to third my first four runs but after screwing up the downshift and DNFing my 4th? run I decided to stay in second the rest. Gregg who was right behind Simon didn't shift his first 4 runs but shifted into 3rd the next 4 and picked up time.

I hit my highest top speed through that section on my 2nd run, right at 65. Gregg said he was able to take that section flat out every time. After almost spinning out towards the garbage can I never had the balls to take it flat out again. Same goes for the finish, I had a couple good entries but it didn't feel solid enough to go flat out, but should have been able to. The car felt really good at the EVO school there last week but this week just wasn't working for me or my driving quite as well.

I have some videos I'll post up in a bit.

35. crazyazn

crazyazn I like naps Staff Member Supporting Member

36. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

I think these are my favorites...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Did I lift a front wheel?!? If not I am SOOOOOO close... lol

[​IMG]

37. Millhouse04

Millhouse04 Member

Well I got good new today...
    What I thought was my bonus was only merit retro pay.
    Bonus in coming sometime in May... So look out ;)

38. crazyazn

crazyazn I like naps Staff Member Supporting Member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 6.0.1; Nexus 6P Build/MHC19Q) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/49.0.2623.105 Mobile Safari/537.36)

Oooh thats awesome news!! Im stuck waiting for rivals to come into stock

39. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

Excellent... :naughty:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 26, 2016
  40. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

So the weather forecast is slowly... getting better. It has been down graded to isolated t-storms instead of scattered.

41. SubieEngineer

SubieEngineer Member

^ More good news! I've been watching the weather... I don't like what I started seeing yesterday.

I'm hoping to get the front Brembos/pads/rotors/lines on tonight/tomorrow. I have some shiny (used) HFCs that I'm not bothering with for awhile, not until I ditch the Greddy duals for a single.

42. Millhouse04

Millhouse04 Member

well that event suck.....for me :mad:
    thanks for all that helped to get me home :beer:

Last edited: May 3, 2016
  43. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

Ya it was not good...

Let us know what is found on the tear down... I got my fingers and toes crossed for minimal internal carnage. :sx:

Good luck...

44. SubieEngineer

SubieEngineer Member

I heard what happend! Hope it's not too bad, but it's going to hurt your wallet, regardless. :(

45. Millhouse04

Millhouse04 Member

Yeah, talking to one shop they gave me a glimmer of hope...they mentioned that it might have jumped timing.
    Which would be a good deal less, because a the short block would not need to be replaced. but some head work may need to be done....lower parts cost, but possible more labor.

46. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

That actually sounds like it might be true because the first symptom was valve ticking followed by funky sounding exhaust note... That would certainly be the best case.

47. Millhouse04

Millhouse04 Member

Yuuuuuppppp:eek3:

48. Drowland87

Drowland87 Staff Member Supporting Member

49. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

50. Drowland87

Drowland87 Staff Member Supporting Member

Do so! It's cheap and a very very useful upgrade on a flimsy piece of shitty factory metal. A great piece of mind upgrade, you will see what I'm talking about when you see the stock part.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.