wEak Squad / TSM's '08 STi Hatch - Forward Facing Super 99 Closed Deck Setup

Discussion in 'TopSpeed Motorsports' started by Mike@TSM, Jun 4, 2015.

1. Taylor@TSM

Taylor@TSM Member

700wtq will start getting closer when we turn it up. As efficiency starts dropping the torque will start climbing more than the hp. The closer the tq gets to the hp the less efficiently the setup is flowing, to an extent. Keep tq lower and hp soaring is the way to keep things in one piece and helps go fast. Its all about the balance.

2. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

Insanity.

3. digitizedsoul

digitizedsoul Moderation is a vice Supporting Member

ARP 625 for the head studs right? You are really getting up there in PSI lol. 45ish is nuts

4. Mike@TSM

Mike@TSM Member

1/2" arp

5. Drowland87

Drowland87 Staff Member Supporting Member

Mmm sexy!

6. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

you said that last time.... AND NEVER SHOWED UP.

7. Taylor@TSM

Taylor@TSM Member

The car will be there tonight! 901whp/693wtq and all :D Out of wastegate spring for now...

8. Drowland87

I was just on the phone with Mike and could hear you on the dyno :bowdown:

9. wEaK Squad

wEaK Squad Member

Needs more wastegate spring

[​IMG]

10. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

You're almost ready for TX2K

11. wEaK Squad

wEaK Squad Member

Some guys are seeing head lift in the mid 30's depending on the tuner and timing on the 625+

12. wEaK Squad

wEaK Squad Member

On bigger turbos I'll add

13. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

Holy Smokes!

14. Taylor@TSM

Taylor@TSM Member

Planning to hit the track this weekend! Will have the car around the 700-750whp range for the first outing.

15. Drowland87

I assume there will be video? :)

16. Taylor@TSM

Taylor@TSM Member

I'm sure I'll get some cell phone videos from the line, and we will get a go pro on the car! And maybe one in the car as well.

17. Drowland87

Looking forward to it!

18. b reel

b reel Active Member

While the PW bling is worthy of the comments, funny that not one comment about the ELECTRIC power steering pump

19. wEaK Squad

wEaK Squad Member

20. Matto357

Matto357 Crazyazn likes Naps Staff Member

Looking nice. Running any kind of air filter on it?

21. wEaK Squad

wEaK Squad Member

22. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

so no track passes?

23. wEaK Squad

wEaK Squad Member

Nope ended up just driving the car around town all weekend. Went to the monthly wrx BMW meet thing with taylor. Went to caffeine and exotics with a gopro hoping to catch something fun on the highway. Then went over to the shine auto open house

24. Hindsight

Hindsight New Member

The trip to caffeine and exotics sounds like it would have a high potential for causing some serious butt-hurt.

25. digitizedsoul

I stayed on a supra's fender one time up 400 when C&O was still off windward.
    When we got there he came and found me and gave me 20$ for "keeping up with him in a subaru"

I think I still have that 20$...

26. Mike@TSM

Mike@TSM Member

LOL! Really?? That's awesome.

27. wEaK Squad

wEaK Squad Member

Hahahahahahahaha I would have told him to save that 20 and buy some parts

28. digitizedsoul

he had mad lag and spun a lot.

AWD ftw.

in fact when he went 3rd to 4th i was afraid he might hit me.

29. wEaK Squad

wEaK Squad Member

Happened to me Friday night

30. digitizedsoul

Someone hit you???

31. wEaK Squad

wEaK Squad Member

No spun on the highway getting into it in 3rd at like 50mph

32. digitizedsoul

That's nasty. When my stock dunlops started to get old I would break loose in 2nd as boost hit, but never 3rd.

33. wEaK Squad

wEaK Squad Member

With my old setup it would spin 3rd bad on the 285 r888s on the 2-3 shift. But never laying into it from a roll

34. wEaK Squad

wEaK Squad Member

https://www.instagram.com/p/BEWNEXBtPA4/

https://www.instagram.com/p/BEWM8JZtPAm/

This guy kept flooring it like 5 cars behind me and trying to hit me with a ricer fly by... had to shut that down
    (switcher in the "I" configuration which is 31psi)

https://www.instagram.com/p/BET1sUTtPHB/

My brother asked me to roll into it on the highway

https://www.instagram.com/p/BER1oiQNPAg/

Our in house tuners saturn redline. Makes 650whp

https://www.instagram.com/p/BER2zmvNPC7/

Here we did a quick run to 120. Left mine in the "I" switcher again.

35. J_P

J_P I like pudding pops Supporting Member

I saw this monster sitting next to, I believe, a 2500HD yesterday while I was getting tuned. I couldn't help but think you're putting down around twice the HP and almost the same TQ as that Duramax diesel(stock) with just over 1/3 of the displacement.
    It really is a work of automotive art.

36. wEaK Squad

wEaK Squad Member

Thanks man I appreciate it

37. Taylor@TSM

Taylor@TSM Member

Gotta keep that GoPro in the car and eventually we will find some shenanigans!

38. digitizedsoul

Dat side exit exhaust tho lol!

39. Hindsight

Hindsight New Member

Can't wait to see this ride in person.

40. wEaK Squad

wEaK Squad Member

When's the next dinner meet?

41. Drowland87

42. Drowland87

Come out to the install day on Saturday if you are free!

43. digitizedsoul

If you go to this next dinner meet, i'll go. In my TD04 FXT 4EAT lol.
    I can bark the front tires in 1st??

:)

44. wEaK Squad

wEaK Squad Member

I went last week too. I'll be moving over the weekend unfortunately

45. Taylor@TSM

Taylor@TSM Member

Gonna be my neighbor, then I can call the cops when you start your loud car in the morning :lol:

46. wEaK Squad

wEaK Squad Member

Wanted to post a big update.

So I was testing competition clutch's new full sized twin disc. I had noticed I couldnt get it to full disengage, hard to shift at high rims, and the trans felt really notchy. After another transmission issue, let's just say I was done with this testing. Unlike many companies in this industry, competition stood behind their product. I swapped it for their 7.25" triple with the heavy flywheel. I chose the heavier flywheel version for the inertia it will carry. This should help will being able to get a bigger turbo car off the line and help with recovery in between shifts. I also had Andrewtech again run through the trans and make sure all was ready for a beating. Well my boss (owner of topspeed motorsports) wanted to go test a customer gtr at Montgomery racepark with our inew house tuner Taylor, and I some how talked him into letting me slide my car in the trailer too if my car was back together. So in one of the most eventful Fridays I've had, I came in to work and finished up some pieces on the billet block gtr I built. Then at noon when my trans came in, I installed the clutch and trans. Took it down to the end of the street to make sure it worked and put it in the trailer haha. My first impressions were "HOLY CRAP!!!" The trans shifted flawlessly! The clutch felt fantastic! All in all I was very excited.

So 3 hours later we pull up to Montgomery racepark for the Friday test n tune. Mind you, my car and the customer gtr were the only Japanese cars there so normally they get either stared at because they're rice rockets or stared at because it's something new and different.

I have never drag raced a car before so I was pretty nervous. Minor anxiety attack. I have 275/45r17 NT05R tires on it for the track until I decide to get slicks. The first run I tried launching at 5800. I was so nervous I forgot to log the run and lock the diff. I also didn't stay on launch control long enough. And needless to say it bogged badly.

The second pass I decided to up the launch control to 6500 and see what happens. Again it bogged badly. Then on top of that I touched the limiter in third or fourth, I don't recall. I also noticed my mph was down quite a bit and felt like it was falling off up top. Taylor was fiddling with the gtr so I didn't have him look at the log as I wanted to keep playing lol.

On the third run I was pretty well calmed down. I upped the launch control to 7200. Taylor told me to stand on LC and don't get off until it builds boost. Also remembered to lock the center diff, start logging on the ap, and turn off tc. It made 16psi off the line and left like a monster. At least for me haha. It cut a 1.61 60ft. But in the run again it felt like it was falling off in each gear.

Taylor pulled the log and noticed something strange going on. In every gear anywhere from 7100rpm to 7800rpm the tach signal would start to bounce a little which would immediately drop ignition timing to zero. So there's the "wall" I felt that I was hitting. By then it was time to pack it up for another day. Hopefully we can get it on the dyno this week to see what's going on. Kind of curious if the alternator belt is slipping or something at higher rpm. Or if the alternator needs a different sized pulley, too bad we didnt think to log battery voltage. Pretty confident when it allows me to carry rpm a lot higher plus turn up the boost, I should be able to gain a ton of back half speed.

However all in all it was a successful Friday
    1. Billet block gtr I built broke 2000whp
    2. Got my car rolling again
    3. Trans issues seem to be fixed now (minus breaking)
    4. Our customer personal bested a 8.64 in his stock frame turbo car (also Taylors personal best)
    4. I had a pretty successful first drag race ever
    5. Scored 2 free EDC Vegas vip tickets for my wife and I next weekend!

Also met a pretty cool guy who liked all sorts of cars. He took a few videos of me and was nice enough to email them too for me!

2 videos!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qo3smscs1msislm/20160611_134501.mp4?dl=0

2nd attempt. 6500 launch. Not on launch control long enough. Hit the limiter up top

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5btlfw3lgt8ty4h/20160611_134441.mp4?dl=0

3rd attempt. 7200 launch. 16psi off the line.

Every run had the ignition cut issue

On to the pics!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The car that I finished and we tuned Friday!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

47. digitizedsoul

Great job Justin. Shifting the STI 6spd at high HP is probably one of the most annoying things i've ever experienced in drag racing or street racing.

I don't know what it was with my STI or the subaru's that came before it, but the 6spd always seemed to be so difficult to shift quickly and under high boost. Nice job in that regard regardless of bog.

GTR is just mad jokes. Real men push a clutch, 2000whp or not ;p

48. wEaK Squad

wEaK Squad Member

That clutch was giving me all the issues. I'm back to shifting like a mad man again and I love it!!!!!

49. Hindsight

Hindsight New Member

Pretty impressive to get all that done in a single Friday. Congrats on a first run. Any time a car this modified goes to the track and comes back in one piece is a good feeling.

50. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

2k hp..... No words. Congrats on another amazing build!