2016 Autocross thread

Discussion in 'Meetups & Events' started by Millhouse04, Jan 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SubieEngineer

SubieEngineer Member

If only I didn't live in an apt complex... :unamused:

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

2. Millhouse04

Millhouse04 Member

Car is getting an alignment, though the tires will not be in till Monday. So next event I will be rocking everything.

Just signed up too for tomorrow too. 3 in STU and over 60 ppl now

3. SubieEngineer

SubieEngineer Member

In. Picked up a new jack from HF and was FINALLY able to get the Z on the ground! Can't wait to try out the RE71Rs tomorrow! :D

4. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

Nice! We actually have 4 signed up in STU now.

I just got done changing oil and switching my rear sway bar to stiff instead of loose. We'll how that effects things.

Specially since I got 2 of you gunning for me with very capable machines.

On another note, holy crap is it hot and the wind isn't blowing at all. Its going to be a warm one tomorrow, make sure you bring water for you and your car.

So Miles care to share exactly what setup you are running, Sways, Springs rates, alignment numbers, and what your target wheel rate is? I am curious.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2016
  5. Millhouse04

Millhouse04 Member

Wheel rates, that is a breath of fresh air. I am sorry though, I have not done those calculations just yet. Spec's may be released after they are confirmed to "work". Still a lot of testing to do, even on old tires.

Still keeping my fingers crossed for the 10.5 in the rear.

6. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

So it was interesting to see the Pro STU Vette in action. To bad it rained (aka shit storm hurricane of some sort) and we only got to see him go around 3 or 4 times.

I think the 3 of working together to push each other faster may be able to work up to bring Atlanta region STU to a national event of some sort and do VERY well.

7. dwx

dwx Member

I thought it was a fun course although I never put together a completely good run. I hit a cone in turn 1 on my fastest run, not sure where. I think it may have actually been the cone next to the starter, I lined up too far left.

8. SubieEngineer

SubieEngineer Member

^ Dude. That hurts... :(

9. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

Arg that sucks...

This course was very difficult to get it just right without over doing it.

The first 180 if you go the radius right you could hold the radius all the way around making it about 270 degree carousel into another 180. The offsets, were take it easy into the first one and the flat with a throttle blip between them.

The REALLY tricky corner was 3 180, because you could go almost flat through the corner but then you had to brake mid corner to get it down slow enough for the off camber to get around for the last slalom.

10. dwx

dwx Member

https://youtu.be/WIChlraqm_o

That's my video from that run, a 45.4x . I may have hit the first cone in the slalom also, either way worthless cones to hit. :) There are a bunch of spots on the video where there was time out there. The finish straight wasn't great in the BRZ either. I did it well once by flicking the car early but it was right on the edge and didn't think it was very reproducible.

11. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

Ya... my 45.078 was kinda like what you describe as not reproducible. There was a high 44 out there for my car, but I couldn't get it to happen.

I ended up run 45.6 and 45.3 on my last 2 runs. At that point my tires were in hell because they were so hot. 3600 pounds of AWD fury on 100 degree pavement...

I bet the offsets in the BRZ were FUN after watching that video. Very nice driving as well.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2016
  12. SubieEngineer

SubieEngineer Member

13. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

I didn't take video so I cant show you, but on the 180s you were VERY tight on them. If you had widened your line just alil bit it would have rounded out the corners and lines you right up with the slaloms before and after the 180s.

Offsets were a case of confidence from the look of it. You prolly could have keep pretty close to flat through those, but you looked a bit timid through there.

You're doing very well since you've only driven your car a handful of time. I can tell the Z is going to be a force to reckon with after you get a built and dialed.

14. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

I'll post this for Jeff since he hasn't posted it yet.

AutoXAtlanta Points 3 photos

http://lucidworks.zenfolio.com/f781692491

For those of you that are interested in susp. setups and what that can do for you. I suggest going through and looking at my car vs Miles's car in the pictures.

His car looks fairly nice and flat, the body roll is more or less matching the camber settings he's got on there to support the weight of the car when it transfers weight.

Then look at mine... which looks like a scene from a rally video where they go over a crest and have all 4 wheels almost off the ground but the car gets light for a second before coming back down all the way.

Another thing to observe is front end lift under throttle. Again Miles fairly level due to the stiffer spring rates in the back compared to my RCE yellows, then mine squatted and lifting the front end up.

A physics lesson in motion with these pictures.

15. SubieEngineer

SubieEngineer Member

^ Please, some people need to buy his stuff! He takes a lot of time to edit out those photos, and there are no better shots than those of your car being driven in anger. :cool: I finally bought a 10-pack to have a few!

Agreed. I have issues with wanting to cut things TOO tight as I go through them. Looking at my video, I was surprised to see I was about right on the cones through most of the slaloms.

Right! Sunday I never felt quite confident enough to give it more gas when I should've. The run I made in 46.0 was a good starting point for what I could've been doing the last 3 runs in terms of throttle control. :| I really need to get more confident with throttle steering, which will come with seat time!

Thank you, sir! :cool: I've only AXed it twice, and both at AXA events. I plan to be at Turner Field for the ATL Region event in a few weeks. I'm probably going to upgrade/swap the exhaust system next, then the suspension bits. I really need like 1 good weekend to mess with all the suspension stuff, as this will include some bushings and the front lower balljoints that are currently worn to hell. :rofl:

16. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

Miles I found this...

http://www.iwsti.com/forums/gr-susp...3-springs-swaybars-wheel-rates-frequency.html

It has some good information on wheel rates and such with sway bar calculations and everything.

So I built a spreadsheet based off of the information in the link... For the WL bar rate calculation I guessimated based upon the numbers for the Perrin 22mm solid and 25mm solid Perrin.

Springs \ Sway & Setting - Front Combined Bar & Spring Wheel Rate \ Rear Combined Bar & Spring Wheel Rate

RCE Yellows \ RCE25.5mm Stiff - 649.781 Front \ 496.218 Rear
    RCE Yellows \ RCE25.5mm Loose - 602.6465 Front \ 456.1865 Rear
    14000f 16000r \ RCE 25.5mm Stiff - 1067.2658 Front \ 836.922 Rear
    14000f 16000r \ RCE 25.5mm Loose - 1020.1313 Front \ 796.8905 Rear
    Ohlins R&T w\ WL 24\22m Stiff - 901.079 Front \ 546.207 Rear

FYI the 14k \ 16k is the rates I was thinking of. I'd love to ride in Miles' car to see how that feels knowing what the numbers are now.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2016
  17. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

I'm hoping my hand heals quicker. Broke the 5th metacarpal in my left (dominant hand). It was still pretty broken in the x-rays on Friday. No surgery, apparently there's a tolerance for the amount the bone can bend before they screw you back together. Mine's at a 30° bend, at 40° they open it up.

Word of advise, use stairs the right way, with your head above your feet. :weaksauce

18. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

I think I ran about 850lbs front/800lbs rear on the BR-ERs. Swift springs.

19. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

The GD's dont have the inboard mount for the rear susp. though, we have to take motion ratios into account because it lowers our effective wheel rate with a longer lever.

Also, hope your hand heals quickly. I jacked mine up tilling, mine was just a strain or something that hurt like a mother when bending my middle, ring, and pinky finger on my left hand. Im right handed so it wasnt a huge lose, just hurt to type.

20. SubieEngineer

SubieEngineer Member

21. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

:eek:hnoes: I think my reign over STU is over... lol

22. Millhouse04

Millhouse04 Member

Finally got around to upload my run from AXA PTS3:

Oh and a little teaser....

[​IMG]
    edit: modified youtube link for new forum setup

Last edited: Jun 30, 2016
  23. SubieEngineer

SubieEngineer Member

24. Millhouse04

Millhouse04 Member

So a little update...Elena and myself finally go some time to tear down the old short block. When I blow it up, I go all the way.
    It was the number 2 rod that spun. Oh and a ringland failure on the number 2 piston :confused:

Not sure what happened first...though I don't think I have heard of both going at the same time.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

SubieEngineer likes this.
  25. SubieEngineer

SubieEngineer Member

Dude. You cracked the piston dome... That's impressive!

Millhouse04 likes this.
  26. SubieEngineer

SubieEngineer Member

27. crazyazn

crazyazn I like naps Staff Member Supporting Member

Yes, great course yesterday. Was definitely challenging on me to try to string it all together and be smooth. Also the course really showed how bumpy that lot really is, my front passenger tire must have bottomed out a few times and beat the piss out of my front bumper and flared :(

Anyways, pics are ready:

AutoXAtlanta Points 4 - http://lucidworks.zenfolio.com/f833913698

Millhouse04 likes this.
  28. Millhouse04

Millhouse04 Member

Looks like a good run.
    All I could add is just being more aggressive on your throttle.

Here is my 3rd run 46.663

crazyazn likes this.
  29. crazyazn

so just a general thought, since I'm trying to figure out how to setup for running at turner on sunday, and to minimize any further damage to the STI. Would you all agree Atlanta Dragway is much bumpier than Turner?

I'm hoping I can run a little more compression to keep my tires off of my flares and wheel wells until I get larger sway bars and or higher spring rates for the coilovers.

30. SubieEngineer

SubieEngineer Member

Yeah, you need to fix that rubbing asap!

Fun course today! Not shuffle steering like a madman seem to have made my runs more consistent, as I didn't seem to move the wheel as much. I was third in STU again! Maybe 0.6 seconds behind Zack... :p

I have video I'll post later.

And SCCA is having a test and tune at Road Atlanta on 7/24: Atlanta Region Test and Tune 2016 - http://www.msreg.com/ATL2016T2. $65, work 45 min, run until you can't stand it.

31. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

It may not fix it completely, but adding some camber will help tuck that wheel back in there some.

So you RCE T2's can take a 600 pound spring in the front and a 500 pounder in the back, you just need to figure out what the length and width of that spring is so you can just go buy the springs. It would be MUCH MUCH cheaper that way.

I sent you an invite to a Facebook group for selling springs and other susp. bits so that once you find out the size and height you should be able to get a set for about $75 or so.

In other news, that course was SOOOO fun... I ended up getting another 4 runs driving novice cars. The lift off oversteer in the mini was VERY handy on that course.

I thought I did quite well in PAX for the day, but jeez did I got killed by street car PAX folks... BRZ\FRS needs to get moved to BS ASAP I think...

Millhouse04 likes this.
  32. David99

David99 New Member

Yea, it was a fun course, until I missed the 2nd cone in the slalom and hit the drainage dip doing about 45mph. Luckily all I broke was the spring perch on the shock. :| :-| matt

Who took the overall in STU?

33. SubieEngineer

SubieEngineer Member

^ Ouch... :-(

Zack took it, Miles 2nd. Results are posted. Apparently my fastest raw time involved the deaths of 2 cones. Grrrr. Still third, but not happy about the cones.

34. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

Dude, I've done the exact same thing. I hit that drain at about 50 and bent the shit out of a control arm.

35. crazyazn

Thanks for inviting me to that sale page, I definitely like the prices on the used springs. Looks like i have some measuring to do. My hitting issues are actually much worse, I'm hitting the inside wheel well right around the airbox and battery sit in the engine bay. I'm going to see if I can massage the sheet metal into the engine bay a little with a sledgehammer to get them off of the shoulders of my tires.

So far I think its going to be a combo of getting springs and a bigger front bar. I softened up the rear suspension and swaybar for Sunday, and I felt I gained a lot of apex out grip. After watching Glagola do a couple passes in my car it showed me basically apex out on almost all of the features the car could be flat out, sadly my hand work wasn't always up to the task.

In conclusion, yes great course, I learned a lot from Matt driving my car, and I have a lot of work to do to keep the tires off of the sheet metal, but getting down to the mid 50's in my extra runs, made me feel good (first time I wasn't over 2seconds behind Myles, Zach, and Marcus)

Millhouse04 likes this.
  36. Millhouse04

Millhouse04 Member

Dude!

but yeah...I lost my balls onto the bricks and completely over drive the two turns leading into the first 180 did not help either. I would have to agree though..great course. I still have a little running left to do...air pressures and rear sway bar (still factory).

37. SubieEngineer

SubieEngineer Member

I'm thinking hard about the SCCA T&T... I need to get my other suspension bits on the car, first!

38. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

That SUCKS...

I'll mention the drains in the team solo forum so that we avoid putting them near features on the course next time.

Atleast it was only the spring perch, but this sounds like a GREAT excuse for coilovers... lol

Jeff you were looking VERY VERY solid out there on your extra runs. I am pretty sure that your car could have done that course without even touching the brakes. There were only about 3 or 4 spots where I had to use them.

So I fiddled with my tire pressures alil this event, and found the following...

30f/28r is perfect for fairly open courses like the one we ran.
    30f/30r would be great for tight technical courses, like the one at AXA's last event. (hind sight damn it)
    30f/32r tofu delivery car...

39. crazyazn

So are any of the time only/extra run times ever stored anywhere? I'm only curious because marcus took a video of me during one of my extra runs, and james may have announced I hit a 49.6 which would be happy day for me. However, I kinda doubt I had that ability, but would be really neat to know.

40. Millhouse04

Millhouse04 Member

Yes and no...the problem comes linking your time with what was enter in the computer. i.e. some people just put TO, some may try to ID it a little more with TO subi, or TO and car number if available. If you are coming Saturday or Sunday I could show you.

41. crazyazn

Oh ok, I see. Yeah I recall typing in a lot of TO and the generic car when there was no number, and I have no clue how you all were doing my car. No biggy really as I'm still more than happy with being in the 50s

42. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

43. SubieEngineer

SubieEngineer Member

... People would suffer...

44. SubieEngineer

SubieEngineer Member

So wish my driving today would've been up to snuff... DFL is not a place I like to be! Started off with a 60.9x and managed to get down to a 60.5xx...:| :-| matt

1st place STU run:

4th place STU run:

5th place STU run: :| :-| matt

45. crazyazn

46. SubieEngineer

SubieEngineer Member

47. SubieEngineer

SubieEngineer Member

Unintentional Double Post!

Last edited: Jul 25, 2016
  48. dwx

dwx Member

It's simple, your mirrors aren't folded in.

Here is my best raw time, a 60.1+1, even though I'm not sure where I hit it. Simon Kim and I were very close but both of us drove poorly yesterday.

This is Gregg Henderson's 58.4 run in his FR-S. I'm usually about .5-.7 behind him, and Simon beat him at the last event we all competed at.

49. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

I need to get off my lazy butt and start recording with my go pro again... lol

James put down some KILLER times in that Z. White Marcus however just killed all the cones...

My word was that a fun course though! There was alil bit of everything out there, and when you got your line right jeez was it FAST.

I like having folks from out of town crash our events because I get the opportunity figure out if I am doing things right, or just better than the folks I race again every event.

50. crazyazn

So I guess I have more photo evidence that I need to rethink my suspension setup with the new rivals, I'm fairly certain the front drivers side is quite bottomed out in this pic. Also, it's really interesting to see how much sidewall roll I have despite the 11in wheel for the 315, and this was running 35f 32r psi. I guess I have to do some more reading up on suspension tuning.

[​IMG]

Millhouse04 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.