Turbo blanket options

Discussion in 'General Community' started by Road_Scoundrel, Oct 24, 2016.

1. Road_Scoundrel

Road_Scoundrel New Member

Hello All,

I am fixing to install my Cobb DP and go stage 2 on my 2013 WRX. Wondering what "real world" differences installing a turbo blanket and heat shield will have on my under hood temps?

Currently I have the Cobb intake without the box, (no hating please). I am trying to find a box at a reasonable price but have yet to do so. It anyone has one that they will allow me to make a template I would like to custom make one, have it coated, and some other adjustments to increase its use OR go back to the stock airbox with KN filter. Not sure what impact that will have on the "Stage 2" Tune from Cobb.

This is my first WRX, came from an SRT8. I kinda jumped in not having done my research. After studing this forum and others I see that the Cobb Way might not be the best way. I am starting leaning toward getting rid of the Cobb AP and go Opensource for tuning. My end goal is 350-375hp.

2. b reel

b reel Active Member

stock airbox will be fine
    DEI turdbo blankets are nice it's not so much about underhood temps as it is the heat soak of an intercooler sitting on top of the turbo and downpipe

3. Road_Scoundrel

Road_Scoundrel New Member

4. J_P

J_P I like pudding pops Supporting Member

Both are good decisions, blanket and wrap the DP. You may also be able to modify the stock heat shield for use with the new DP. This worked on the older models easily.

As far as tuning it just depends on what you really want versus the risk. Open ECU and ROM Raider are great choices if you want to tune yourself or be able to see every aspect of the tune. However, if you are going to tune yourself most would advise having a spare block handy. There is nothing wrong with Cobb if you are planning on having somebody else do the tuning. Ecuteck doesn't seem to be as widely used anymore. I was able to use OpenECU to log and monitor with Ecutek loaded, but not once I went with Cobb. However, I can log via the Cobb as well.I have both of my tuned Subarus running Cobb at this point.

It all boils down to what YOU want and need. I don't have the time nor am I willing to accept the risk tuning myself. Cobb has worked very well for me. Good luck and have fun!