Gc8 v7 207 swap

Discussion in 'Member Journals & Project Build Stories' started by Driving-Gaijin, Nov 8, 2016.

1. Driving-Gaijin

Driving-Gaijin New Member

Hey Guys,
    Here we have a 1998 2.5RS with a JDM EJ25D. I purchased the car with this swap back in 2014. I knew I wanted to do an STi swap but was torn between the EJ207 and the EJ257. After getting an opportunity to drive Version 7 Spec C, my choice is clear. I got my hands on a V7 long block and body harness. Seeing that I needed an intake manifold, I got one for a V8 which is one piece. My mistake is not buying a complete manifold with wiring harness, fuel lines, and hoses so ill have to get those.

I know the EJ207 isn't the popular choice but I was just amazed by the 8250 red line and how smooth it was. You lose the signature Subaru rumble with the twin scroll setup, but you get the quicker spool with the help of the AVCS in return, which isnt a bad trade-off. I forgot to mention that this engine has v8 cams which have a longer duration than the V7 cams. As far as turbos are concerned I will be going with a VF-36 (Spec C).

I know my car isnt as cool as a lot of you guys on here but I figure there might be people who are interested in the build so, why not. I still need to source a lot of parts so I will try to keep the post as up to date as possible.

Cheers,
    Goji

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Needs a bit of cleaning
    [​IMG]

Afande and J_P like this.
  2. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

ej207 is my dream build. Can't wait to see it done!

3. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

cool!

4. J_P

J_P I like pudding pops Supporting Member

Good looking car and a fantastic project. You will get lot more love here than you think.

Driving-Gaijin likes this.
  5. Driving-Gaijin

Thanks Sparta, Matt, and J_P. I appreciate the love and support. If anyone have any parts that would benefit the project feel free to contact me.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

6. Matt

@GTscoob has a 207 in his bugeye. You can ping him for any questions regarding the install.

J_P likes this.
  7. Driving-Gaijin

Thank Matt, I'll keep him I'm mind. I was actually wondering about who else was running a 207. Anyone else on here running a EJ207?

8. Driving-Gaijin

So, today I got the harness out and will start the merge this weekend. [​IMG]

Here is the 05 WRX harness that came with the engine
    [​IMG]

Here are a few parts I've collected for the swap[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Michael'd likes this.
  9. b reel

b reel Active Member

dash swap will make the merge easy, it's the AC, steering column, support beam that cause frustration

10. Driving-Gaijin

I thought about doing a dash swap for a while. I had my mind set but then didn't like the newer dash in the older car. Just didnt flow well in my opinion. So I decided to keep the dash

11. Matt

The 02-07 dash seems to flow pretty well in the 01 and down chassis, IMO.

J_P likes this.
  12. Michael'd

Michael'd New Member

I've got a Ver 8 EJ207 and 6MT going into my little L coupe. I was fortunate enough to pull everything out of the car so I have most the bits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. b reel

b reel Active Member

so how many coupes are floating around now? not counting toyotas

14. Driving-Gaijin

Great, would like to see more! If we get enough Ej207s we can start a community. Send me a link to the thread when you have one.

15. Michael'd

Michael'd New Member

My build thread on RS25 will have most of the progress, as long as I keep up with it. Right now it's mostly filled with the car I had in Japan. My current coupe just had its engine/trans removed so it'll be some time before I make serious progress. Mike's 95 STI Type RA -> 95 L Coupe! Back in action. - Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com - http://www.rs25.com/forums/f145/t221710-mikes-95-sti-type-ra-95-l-coupe-back-action.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Driving-Gaijin likes this.
  16. Driving-Gaijin

The build is awesome. Can't wait to see your new build. If you were in Aomori you must be in the Air Force I'm assuming. I had a few friends stationed there. I'm headed back to Japan in a couple of weeks. Had I known you were stationed there... Lol