On the Dyno at TSM!

Discussion in 'TopSpeed Motorsports' started by Taylor@TSM, Feb 9, 2016.

1. Taylor@TSM

Taylor@TSM Member

Here is a 2005 STi we recently built that came in for final tuning after break in. Again, I failed to get a picture...its a REALLY clean white 2005 with low miles and is wingless, and looks awesome.

The setup was awesome all the way around, it spooled ridiculously fast (24 psi by 3900rpms in 4th on the street, dyno was in 3rd), made really good power, and didn't fall off at all up top. It pulled all the way to 7400 rpms with a nice flat torque curve because of the turbo being well within its efficiency range. My favorite type of powerband! This car could do it all. It is an everyday driver for this customer, and it would fare very well on the road course, and do well drag racing as well.

Onto the goods. We set it up with the following:

TSM SS1 shortblock
    HeadGames pocket ported heads
    GSC S2 cams/valve springs
    ETS rotated standard 35R turbo kit
    TGV Deletes
    ID1000cc injectors
    Invidia Race equal length header

We tuned it on 93 pump gas on 24 psi.

515whp/422wtq

[​IMG]

2. Taylor@TSM

Taylor@TSM Member

Here is a local 2016 WRX we had in recently. We originally tuned the car when it just had the stock exhaust and J-pipe, but the customer added exhaust and brought it back for us to get some more out of it.

Its mod list consists of:

Intake
    TGV deletes
    PRL FMIC
    3" turboback exhaust

Tuned via Cobb AP on 93 pump gas: 324whp/320wtq

[​IMG]

3. Taylor@TSM

Taylor@TSM Member

This local Legacy GT was in recently for a tune on his new setup. It made a nice smooth powerband through the stock 5 speed trans.

Mods:
    BNR 16G turbo
    DW740cc injectors
    FMIC
    3" turboback exhaust
    3-port EBCS

Tuned via Cobb AP on 93 octane pump gas.

19 psi - 317whp/337wtq

[​IMG]

4. Taylor@TSM

Taylor@TSM Member

I thought I'd post this one up as it is a car that belongs to one of our employees, and he just wrapped it up recently and is very excited about it!

A little backstory on this car. He purchased it some time ago knowing it was going to need some work to get it where he wanted it. The motor was built by a small shop that wasn't too familiar with Subaru's and there were a lot of unknowns with the car as well. He did most of the aftermarket stuff after purchasing the car (turbo, TMIC, header, EWG, injectors, etc.) and the car consumed a little too much oil to be comfortable with so we decided to pull the engine out and build one of our SS1 engines and see what else we found while we were at it.

During the build, I convinced him to go with 9:1 compression pistons, and he also replaced his old leaky stock housing TGV deletes with some nice IAG TGV deletes. We then got the car running and he put some break-in miles on before hitting the dyno.

The complete mod list is as follows:

TSM SS1 shortblock
    Stock heads/stock cams
    Blouch Dom 2.5XTR stock location turbo
    ETS TMIC
    Tomei unequal length header
    Tial 38mm external wastegate (sprung to 21psi)
    3" downpipe and catback
    Cobb intake with turbo inlet
    IAG TGV deletes
    ID1000cc injectors
    Walbro 485 pump with 12V mod
    Fuelab boost referenced FPR with 55psi base pressure
    3-port EBCS

Tuned via Cobb AP V3

Boost was 24.5 psi peak with a taper down to 21.5 psi. It made less power with more boost up top so I tapered it down to where it made the flattest powerband. He has an EL header on the way and will probably be going FMIC soon, so it will likely be able to make use of the boost at that point, but we will make sure to test it and post the results!

E85 - 477whp/488wtq

[​IMG]

The car made right around 400whp/400wtq on 93 and 21 psi WG pressure during break-in, but we saw no reason to push any further as he will never really run the car on the 93 map.

[​IMG]

Thanks for looking!

-Taylor

5spdfrk likes this.
  5. wrxtony

wrxtony New Member

Rode in that silver sti hatch last Friday, it pulls hard on pump gas. Wonder how hard it pulls now on e85

6. Cjacob74

Cjacob74 New Member

Yes you did!

It is night and day difference between 93 and e85. Feels way more then 77whp difference!

Good to meet you the other day Tony! Hope the car is running well!

7. Taylor@TSM

Taylor@TSM Member

The car is up probably 85-90whp from when you rode in it, and it has a very wide powerband as you can see! It actually holds pretty well up top for being TMIC and UEL header. Pretty well rounded car.

8. wrxtony

wrxtony New Member

The car is running smooth now! It was also nice to meet everybody as well. I'll be back for a flex fuel install/tune real soon :D

9. Cjacob74

Cjacob74 New Member

Awesome! You will love flex fuel, e85 is a magical sauce! Looking forward to getting you back to the shop for some more goodies! We will have to give you a ride in my car again as you rode in it on 93 and will be able to really tell the difference.

I plan on going flex fuel in the future but want to focus on suspension before putting more money into this setup.

10. Taylor@TSM

Taylor@TSM Member

Had this really nice 2004 STi in for E85 and 93 tunes. This car was clean inside and out, and the setup under the hood looked great! The car is primarily driven on E85, so at the 400whp range the stock motor should give him plenty of reliability!

The setup consisted of:

Stock longblock
    BNR 20G stock location turbo
    38mm EWG
    FMIC
    Tomei UEL header
    3" turboback exhaust
    Stock sized intake
    TGV deletes
    Injector Dynamics 1000cc w/rails
    3-port EBCS

Tuned via Cobb AP V3

E85 - 20 psi: 411whp/421wtq

[​IMG]

93 - 19 psi: 358whp/358wtq

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Taylor@TSM

Taylor@TSM Member

Recently had this 2015 STi in for installation of some modifications and a FlexFuel tune. It showed up pretty much stock and left with well over 100whp more than stock!

This car has:
    Intake
    3" turboback exhaust
    Cobb FlexFuel with FPR
    Injector Dynamics 1000cc injectors
    AEM 320 pump

Tuned via Cobb AP V3

E85 - 21psi peak: 360whp/416wtq

[​IMG]

93 - 19 psi peak: 318whp/347wtq

[​IMG]

12. Taylor@TSM

Taylor@TSM Member

This is a 2013 WRX that made some nice power with minimal bolt ons! This car was having issues holding boost on the dyno, so we swapped out the stock boost control solenoid for a 3-port and picked up 40whp up top, and nearly that throughout the whole powerband after the initial hit.

I didn't change peak boost at all, but it was able to hold boost much better after the hit. Originally it made 273whp/330wtq and started falling off after peak tq, but with the EBCS fixed it held a flat torque curve and made 313whp as well!

Mods include:

Mishimoto TMIC
    Cobb intake w/box
    3" turboback exhaust
    3-port EBCS

Tuned via Cobb AP V3

93 pump gas - 18 psi: 313whp/330wtq

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This car sees the road course quite a bit, and with a power curve like it has I'm sure its very predictable and fun.

13. Taylor@TSM

Taylor@TSM Member

400whp stock turbo STi?! Yes, you read that right. This 2015 STi was brought in by a member for us to look over a few things and then get it on the dyno for a flexfuel tune. This is basically a full bolt on car that is completely ready for a larger turbo (or built motor and larger turbo :D ) With the mod list it has, I knew it was going to do well, but I really didn't expect what we ended up getting out of it.

Mod list consisted of the following:

Stock VF48 turbo
    ETS Intake
    ETS FMIC
    TGV Deletes (we believe, stock TGV housings)
    Tomei EL header
    3" turboback exhaust
    Tial 38mm external WG (14.5 psi spring)
    3-port EBCS
    Inejctor Dynamics 1000cc injectors
    Cobb FlexFuel with FPR

Tuned via Cobb AP V3

E85 - 21 psi peak: 403whp/453wtq

[​IMG]

93 - 19 psi peak: 354whp/393wtq

[​IMG]

We were very impressed at the results and how well the setup worked on the car. We typically see in the 355-365whp range on E85 stock turbo 2015+ STi's, with the highest before this one being 375whp. As for 93 numbers, we usually see in the 310-320whp range. I've always been a huge fan of EL headers and FMIC on these cars, as well as EWG and TGV deletes, and this car showed that even at the stock turbo level they can be very beneficial!

As for the dyno graphs, since we are still working with limited airflow from the stock turbo, the power falls off to about where most stock turbo 2015+ STi's end up in the high rpms. The customer mentioned that he plans to upgrade to a larger stock location turbo in the spring, not so much to add a ton of peak power, but to hold the power all the way to redline so the car will be faster while maintaining the same or slightly less peak torque to keep everything happy.

Thanks for looking!

[​IMG]

5spdfrk likes this.
  14. Mike1720

Mike1720 New Member

Interested in checking the shop out and bouncing some ideas off you. Seems the other forums I'm on like most are full of bad info so look forward to talking to you guys.

15. Taylor@TSM

Taylor@TSM Member

For sure man! Let us know when you'd like to swing by, or just stop in any time.

16. Taylor@TSM

Taylor@TSM Member

We had this 2012 WRX in for a tune via a Cobb AccessPort V3. It made good power for the basic bolt ons it had.

2012 WRX
    AEM Intake
    3" turboback exhaust
    Process West TMIC
    3-port EBCS

93 - 18 psi: 320whp/336wtq

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Taylor@TSM

Taylor@TSM Member

Had this 2015 WRX with bolt ons in recently for a tune on 93.

Mods consisted of:
    Intake
    3" turboback exhaust
    Turbo XS TMIC

Tuned via Cobb AP V3

93 - 18 psi: 313whp/332wtq

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Taylor@TSM

Taylor@TSM Member

Had this customer drive his 2007 STi up from Florida after putting some break in miles on his fresh engine. He built it with 100mm pistons and I sent him a startup map for him to leak check and put some miles on it before making the trip to us for both 93 and E85 tunes. This car had just over 40,000 miles on it!

His mod list includes:

Cobb intake
    Perrin turbo inlet
    Invidia 3" turboback exhaust
    TGV deletes
    Cosworth 100mm pistons
    3-port EBCS
    Injector Dynamics 1300cc injectors
    AEM 320 pump

E85 - 21 psi peak: 373whp/413wtq

[​IMG]

93 - 21 psi peak: 324whp/355wtq

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Taylor@TSM

Taylor@TSM Member

With TX2K and the rush associated with it behind us for this year, its time to post up again!

This 2011 STi was purchased by a local with all the aftermarket parts already on it. He brought in it for us to look over it and then get it on the dyno for a flexfuel tune. He wasn't sure if the bottom end had been built or not, so I kept it fairly conservative since I just had to assume it was the stock engine and be safe.

What we could tell, the car had the following:

ETS intake
    ETS FMIC
    EL header
    3" turboback exhaust
    TGV Deletes
    Blouch Dom 1.5XTR
    ID1000cc injectors
    Fuel lines/rails/FPR
    Cobb FlexFuel

Tuned via Cobb V3

E85 - 19psi: 424whp/417wtq

[​IMG]

93 - 18.5 psi: 367whp/350wtq

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Mike1720

Mike1720 New Member

shout out to taylor car runs awesome the ride home was fun when I could get out of traffic.