Refinishing Wheels?

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by slpymnky, Feb 9, 2006.

1. slpymnky

slpymnky Member

I bought used rims a few months ago and they aren't in the best condition. I got these wheels at a good price, so I was wondering how much (approximately) it would cost to refinish these the same as they are right now (grey with chrome lip).

2. RamblinWRX

RamblinWRX Member

i talked to sog yesterday and they gave me a few places up there that recondition wheels. World of Wheels and Hubcaps quoted me 150 per wheel to fix the curb rash on the lip of a wheel i have, which i guess involves machining it and repainting? Is that a good price? i have no idea. it's better than the 300 a wheel SoA charges to replace the stockers, whaat, might as well buy some bbs from tirerack at that rate.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2006
  3. lostinthewoods

lostinthewoods Frisco Tx Baller

I was quote around 125 to 150 a wheel to fix the curb rash on the lips.

4. slpymnky

slpymnky Member

Wow. These rims are only a little over $200 per wheel brand new. I guess all that needs to be done is the lips of the wheels need to be refinished because there are some sports where the chrome or whatever on the lips has come off. Everything else is in pretty good shape.

5. bigb996

bigb996 teh Wannabe Mod

you can honestly do it yourself......

if not i would talk to Alex he knows a good place.

6. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

You can repair curbrash yourself. Ive found several great writeups on the net about it. Otherwise, you could look into powder coating the wheels a whole new color, or just recoloring them with the current one.

7. the blue potato

the blue potato New Member

8. slpymnky

slpymnky Member

I don't have curb rash. The clearcoat on the lip of the rims has just deteriorated in some spots and there are spots where the brake dust is stuck to the lip. I just want someone to apply a fresh coat of polish or something to the lips of the wheel.

9. bigb996

bigb996 teh Wannabe Mod

my wheels are doign the same thing...they just need a new coat of clear coat though honestly. Im thinkin of going to bronze though.

10. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

You could find a clear coat and refinish them yourself or talk to someplace like Miller's about them applying a clear coat finish.

11. slpymnky

slpymnky Member

Would I have to sand down the lip in some way first?