Question about installing a new short shifter

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by Goose013, Apr 9, 2006.

1. Goose013

Goose013 Member

I currently have the factory STi 5mt short shifter and would like to replace it with the Cobb for the adjustability and for no real reason, but my question is if I want to sell the STi shifter will I need to get a factory shifter in there before I can install the Cobb? Thanks for any info.

2. BlueBox

BlueBox Member

Not sure but I'd be careful if you are talking about the factory short throw shifter. There shouldn't be much difference but the optional shifter comes with different linkage. Not sure what the differences really are. I know a couple of us found that simply installing kartboy bushings was a real PITA whereas others with the standard shifter had no problems.

The above was posted 95% because I’m sure there is a difference if only slight and 5% to get rid of the following banner.. I find it odd..

“Hello BlueBox it appears that you have not posted on our forums in several weeks, why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums?”

3. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

Ah, I knew my messages would work on someone ;)

On topic, I believe Cobb is just the shifter, no linkage change. However, is the adjustability that big of a deal? What is it that you feel like you want to change about the current sti short throw?

4. Goose013

Goose013 Member

the height of the shifter itself, but Its looking to be more of a pita than its worth. Tinkering mainly :)

5. IIRC, Kartboy recommends a different shift lever for the STi short shift linkage, meaning that a WRX shift lever would need to be used with the stock linkage......

From Kartboy's site

Yeah, it's a different brand, but apparently there is some sort of difference between the WRX linkage and the STi short shift linkage..... and I have absolutely no idea what it is...... maybe check with Cobb.....

6. Goose013

Goose013 Member

I emailed them, but have yet to hear from them.

7. Goose013

Goose013 Member

ANSWER
    Josh from Cobb Tuning wrote back and said that I would retain the STi linkage and switch out the shifter, but I would need to call so they could get me the correct part #. I guess its slightly different from the stock one.

8. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

I suppose that makes sense, are you going to call and go through with Cobb?

9. Goose013

Goose013 Member

Maybe, if something else doesn't come up first. My girlfriend just lost her job; so parts are on hold for the moment :sad: