Thinking of getting a 20g

Discussion in 'General Community' started by Aspen05, Apr 24, 2006.

1. Aspen05

Aspen05 Member

I have been reading alot of threads here and on NASIOC about the 20g and when it spools on a 2.0L. Here is my weird request. Does anyone have a WRX or STI that hits full boost at about 3800 to 4200 that I could ride in to see if I wanted a turbo that spooled that late or not?

2. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

i had one before i wrecked it :(

3. siegelracing

siegelracing Registered Vendor<br><b><font color="#666666">bion

20G is BIG for a 2.0. The 18G with meth still runs 11.9 at 119 ;)

SS

4. suby113

suby113 Member

by the way I keep hearing people talk about Meth, forgive me for my stupidity, what is it? and were can You get it?

5. Aspen05

Aspen05 Member

Is that a td05 or td06 18g, and was that a common 18g car or a freak?

6. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

7. siegelracing

I believe TD05. There aren't that many 2.0's with meth to compare against. It was an EXCELLENT driver...

SS

8. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

it was a deadbolt td05 18g... its CoolRex's car

9. bluetwo

bluetwo Active Member

What issues should a person think about if they want this big of a turbo as far as installation and operation?

Like is there a good unit that's water cooled that is more or less a direct replacement? I'm seriously thinking about going big too but I can't seem to find that much info on exactly what turbo to consider.

10. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

i like the deadbolt turbos... the zilla series have the option of either just oil cooled or oil and water cooled

11. bluetwo

bluetwo Active Member

12. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

13. siegelracing

We're direct with Deadbolt. We can get you DB turbos with either no shipping, or less than shipping it to you...

SS

14. suby113

suby113 Member

Hey thanks for the explanation milo, How much does it cost for the set up?

15. bluetwo

bluetwo Active Member

If I were to guess how much installed and tuned would be I'd say.......

around 2200?.... but that could actually be more or less than what it'd actually come to.

16. siegelracing

That turbo is near $1600, install $294, $360 or so in tuning... (assuming you already own EM)

SS

17. suby113

suby113 Member

That much for a Meth set up?

18. Aspen05

Aspen05 Member

Scott,
    I am seeing a few people posting full boost on a 20g by 4000rpm. In your experiences when would an 18g and also a 20g hit full boost on a 2.0L?

Also does anybody wanna offer me a ride yet?:si:

19. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

also will probably need injectors if u dont run meth...
    add about $500 for meth... + labor if u dont wanna do it yourself

20. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

I suppose you could consider deadbolt's 16G as well, it pulled quite nicely compared to Delette's car. If budget is an issue, look to a methed 16G. If you want to throw down a bit more, check out the 18G. Deadbolt is definately the way to go.

21. JJang12

JJang12 Active Member

my Forced Performance 18g hits full boost around 3500-3600rpm. That's with 1 High Flow Cat & TMIC. I think 20g is too laggy for everyday driving. BTW, i paid around $880 for my 18g. Deadbolt is a good/reputable company, so is Forced Performance without HIGH price tag.

try to do little more research for upgrade turbo. 18g w/ alky is the best combo for 2.0L (if you don't mind risk of using alky/meth injection)

Last edited: Apr 24, 2006
  22. Hey Aspen...it doesnt matter, stop looking....your not allowed to get a new turbo right now.

You have to wait until after I get one...:fawk:

P.S......I am selling my car to get a 27' UHAUL with a 20g and meth....:rofl:...that will be the ultimate SWEEEEEETNESS...dont worry, I'll let you drive it...since you have experience driving those beasts.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2006
  23. knhtrdr

knhtrdr Active Member

So which turbo to go with w/o using the meth and make good power?

24. I am also running FP td05 18g just like my buddy Andy haha ;)

25. bluetwo

bluetwo Active Member

That sounds like a good turbo. I'll take two! :D

26. Aspen05

Aspen05 Member

Was that the oil and water cooled 18g or just oil cooled? And did it come with new lines?

27. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

Well, glad we settled that... hey guys, no more turbo discussions needed! ;)

28. bluetwo

bluetwo Active Member

Deadbolt 18G FTW.

Of course at nearly 2500 bucks.... it better be good.

29. pEd

pEd This ain't no Piccadilly!

As I understand it the exhaust housings(??) are in short supply.

Whatever it is has kept me from recently ordering a green. :wtc:
    Probably better anyways until I get a ride in Brian's GT-30'd beast.

30. Go here and get his setup:
    http://www.xxxtremecompacts.com/phpbb/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=5511#5511

td05 20g on a stock 2.0 block with injectors and meth. full boost -21psi - by 3700rpm.

That guys car is setup correctly for the 20g. I would prefer something other than a utec though...

The most important part for boost is the GM boost solenoid. Read up (search) on that for better turbo response.

31. Alex

Interesting, doesnt taper very much either.

32. siegelracing

The "standard" thing to do on the WRX's was always VF34 and a FMIC. With JDM pinks and a SAFE boost curve they make just over 300 whp and 300 wlb-ft. The VF34's and JDM pinks are cheap and easy to find, and any FMIC works. For a little less lag and a little less top end go with the TXS TMIC...

SS

33. JJang12

JJang12 Active Member

It is oil and water cooled. It CAME with the new SS line, BUT Topspeed FORGOT to install the SS line that it came with. So my 18g has stock line. I keep forgetting to ask Trey about that.

Is there any negative effect by using stock line??

Last edited: Apr 25, 2006
  34. Alex

Wait, they forgot to install it? How the...What...

35. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

I assume they forgot to replace the stock line... if not, :eek:hnoes:

36. WrxCrazy

WrxCrazy Active Member

WOW THIS is alot of good info i'm glad we have such great ppl to ask stuff like this i think i wanna go with a 18 g on meth.. thats sounds hot and am wondering how many whp will it make? stock, with 18g on meth.. around 320whp?

37. I believe with 18g and methanol, you can get around 340 whp.

I made 308 whp with my 18g setup and I'm not planning on going methanol but I think Andy might so we'll see haha.

38. 1ll-WRX

1ll-WRX Active Member

That's with an 2.0L right?

39. yes...

stock clutch and stock tranny :sx:

40. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

i made ~#40whp with a super 16g+meth... so u should be able to make a little more with an 18g+meth

41. WrxCrazy

WrxCrazy Active Member

but what kind of set up should i go with.. incase i dont wanna blow my motor or tranny :sx:

42. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

stay stock and drive like grandma

43. Alex

:pssh:

44. I told my self I was gonna stay stock when I first bought the WRX and that lasted 3 days lol ;P

45. Luke WL.

Luke WL. New Member

I have the 16g with meth on my evo, im about to put the 20g on (its still a 2.0) and if it will help you can ride with me, ill let you drive it if you want. And on the first page, someone said the 18g+ meth only went 11.9? was that on an sti or wrx.

46. 11.9 with 18g and meth was on a wrx...

I think having a 16g on the evo and a wrx is a biggg difference. Even though they are same turbos, the evo will spool alot quicker due to do less piping and one of the concerns with wrx's with big turbo is the spool...

I jealous of what Evo's can do with little modifications but I still like my subie ;)

47. siegelracing

18G + Meth + FMIC should be near 350 whp on a wrx... Super 16G + TMIC + Meth was 340 wlb-ft 337 whp on a wrx...

SS

48. Aspen05

Aspen05 Member

Cool, thanks for the offer man. I will have to take you up on that.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2006
  49. JJang12

JJang12 Active Member

Evo's 16g is completely different animal. kinda don't want to go in detail, BUT EVO's turbo & engine design are far more efficient than Subaru's. Therefore, EVO can make more than 300-320whp with its stock 16g (which is also bigger and more advanced) and that's without meth injection.

50. bluetwo

bluetwo Active Member

Yeah the Evo's engine is more effecient, at SUCKING!

Just playin man.... :)