wheel bearing = dead

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by thejackal, May 4, 2006.

1. thejackal

thejackal Member

Destroyed a wheel bearing on my 04-- coilovers = no warrenty :fawk:... about $500 with parts and labor........ I'm starting to realize that track events are a bit rough on the car :keke: I went in to have some 30k work done, and left after $8-- and i'm going to cry

Last edited: May 4, 2006
  2. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

i wonder if track is worse than autocross on the car

3. thejackal

thejackal Member

Autocross puts super stress on certain parts -- DEF -- but the amount of heat generated during track driving and the wear n' tear of sustained driving is nuts...

4. WRX-WRC

WRX-WRC Active Member

i think so since you probably maintain more heat and stress on parts since auto cross is only 1 minutes at a time.

5. Meredith

Meredith Banned

I've autoxed my car tons of times (30+ events) and done six track days with absolutely no issue, but then again i have almost no mods.

Last edited: May 4, 2006
  6. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

Well fortunately for us 04 owners, we have notoriously shitty wheel bearings (WRX). What you can try to do next time is change the grease in there to a higher quality, higher temp grease. That's rumored to be one of the reasons why 04 bearings (despite their quality) fail so often after multiple hours of track time.

7. BrianGT

BrianGT Banned

There always is the option of doing an 05 STi hub swap, as Javid did...

I wouldn't attribute the failure to autocross, as you won't build up heat on the bearings, as you would with a track event. I know that I had enough heat on my brakes last track event that my brembo paint darkened quite a bit.

--
    Brian

8. WRX-WRC

WRX-WRC Active Member

thats a lot of heat :D:D, go with the 05 hubs :bigthumb:

9. BrianGT

BrianGT Banned

The 04 -> 05 hub conversion kit is on their website:
    http://www.6gunracing.com/products.asp

Might be a better choice than spending $500 to get your car fixed...

The only draw back is that you will have to get new wheels, but this could seen as an advantage, being able to run 5x114.3 wheels.

--
    Brian

10. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

Since when has it been 6GunRacing ?

11. BrianGT

BrianGT Banned

probably since 4 became 3...

--
    Brian

12. WRX-WRC

WRX-WRC Active Member

:keke: :keke:

13. GTscoob

GTscoob Black is Beautiful

Is this current reincarnation of Six Gun racing related at all to the older club here in Atlanta?

One of my friends had a 240sx that he bought that had a Six Gun sticker on it and a lot of people on IA were talking shit about how he was a noob and didnt know anything about Six Gun . . .