Road Atlanta, May 20

Discussion in 'General Community' started by Brian, May 17, 2006.

1. Brian

Brian Active Member

I'll be at the Panoz track day this Saturday. It's free to get in and check out lots of cool cars and watch them run. SS will be there with me, but if anyone else can come out and run a stopwatch that'd be great.

Brian

*I should be able to give someone a ride in the 4th session, but no promises. :)

2. slowwrx

slowwrx Supporting Member

I'm thinking about coming out on Sunday, it just depends on how my shakedown session at little tally goes on saturday.

Matt

3. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

expecting 65 second laps ;)

4. WRX-WRC

WRX-WRC Active Member

oooh, this sounds like fun

5. Brian

Brian Active Member

Ouch milo, not even GT1 prototypes run that fast. They run 73's I think. I'll be very happy with anything < 103s. My previous best is 106s.

6. bluetwo

bluetwo Active Member

That could be pretty cool. I've been wondering if anything would be going on in the next few weeks. I have a little business to take care of this weekend but I may be able to come out.

I think I could run a stopwatch too. :D

7. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

but u have a turbo, AWD, scoop and a BIG WING!!!... but jokes aside, one of our friends told me that sometime in the recent past, a formula car hit ~65 at RA but there was no news crew or camera man to record it :dunno

8. Ayrton

Ayrton Member

I just want to know when we are having a track day at RA?

9. Brian

Brian Active Member

Probably not going to happen. Way too much money for club to front I would think.

10. ShaneSTI

ShaneSTI Active Member

i may show up to watch if nothing is going on. sounds like fun.

11. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

exactly... not unless we can work out a really good deal + significant sponsorship or a lot of participants who are willing to share the cost

12. Ayrton

Ayrton Member

I don't even know what it cost to get RA for a day anymore...

Maybe Scott knows

13. WRX-WRC

WRX-WRC Active Member

for a panoz day i believe its like 400 if we were to rent the track ourselves it would be a total of like 10k i believe.

14. Trey

Trey Active Member

lol....riiiiight. You got $12000 or something crazy like that. :p

Lil Tally is about the cheapest place to go to .......for now.

Last edited: May 18, 2006
  15. Intrigue2727

Intrigue2727 Member

It Would Be Nice

16. Ayrton

Ayrton Member

LOL...yes I remember when you could rent LT for $400 thru the week.

17. thejackal

thejackal Member

I was going to run this weekend, but my rear strut is leaking some fluid and my alignment is f*cked... soooo I think I'll come and watch -- maybe i'll wear my numbers just for fun : - )

Scott told me he was runnin with someone -- guess that's u.... are you running the entire weekend or just sat?

18. Brian

Brian Active Member

Just Sat. Sun is too much $$.

I've got to switch out my wheels asap, but my jack don't work. If someone could bring a working jack to the meet I'd really appreciate it.

19. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

i have an extra floor jack at home... if u can get someone to pick it up from my brother then u could borrow it for the weekend

20. Ayrton

Ayrton Member

Brian I live over off of Canton and you can use my floor jack if needed.

21. Brian

Brian Active Member

I'll just load the wheels up before work tomorrow & get Kauffman Tires to swap them real quick for me. Thanks though! (Run out of time/too lazy)

22. LazyGun

LazyGun Member

So, you can take your own car to a Panoz track day?
    I didn't realise that...thought it was all Panoz school stuff...in a Panoz...
    Bugger :) I better sign up for one...

23. Brian

Brian Active Member

If you want to drive at a track day you *have* to drive your own car. Or maybe a rental...

24. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

RA daily rental rate is just over $14,000.

I'd love to rent it out, but we would need 40 people to just touch a $350 / person payment.

25. Demo24

Demo24 Member

if I dont have other things to do I'll probably come watch :)

26. Brian

Brian Active Member

Cool, more people is good. Maybe I could have an entire section of the stadium cheering me each time I go by.... FTW! :) That'd be something completely new @ a track day. lol

27. Ayrton

Ayrton Member

Well paying $350 is easy, the hard part is getting 39 of your friends to join in. :p

28. bluetwo

bluetwo Active Member

Hey pEd! Do you wanna do this thing man? It could be pretty cool right.

29. Demo24

Demo24 Member

ok so I tried to go. But they repaved the entrance and i couldn't get in. Didn't really see anyone on the track as i drove by. What gives?

At least it's close by so I didn't waste to much time.

30. Brian

Brian Active Member

The normal entrance was closed, but the other one right by the sign was open. It can be easy to miss. Sorry you didn't get in. And don't feel bad, nobody else showed up except SS and I. (not giving anyone a hard time!)

I managed to knock 3s off my previous best time, from 1:46 to 1:43. The new Z06 has nothing on the STi!!!! Except it could continually run fast. Unfortunately I had tons of trouble. My engine would have blown up if not for Scott, so major props to him for saving me $$$$$$$$ on a new engine. It was way too lean a tune to survive any track time. I ended up running 110 octane + extra meth to cover the lean tune. And I still had overheating and blowing coolant everywhere... urgh. No more track time til this gets figured out.

31. Weapon

Weapon 90lbs of dynamite Supporting Member

wow...im glad scott was there to save the day....again!

32. Meredith

Meredith Banned

If you are really interested in track days I would suggest going to little talladega, clubs are always running track days out (there was one last weekend with the mustang club and only Matt and I were there, plenty of open spots too). Also CMP running several open HPDE events during the year, usually priced at $225 a day, including your own personal instructor all day long.

Panoz track days are just open track days with some instruction, the Panoz three day school is the one that will get you a SCCA club racing license.

Yuck, I'm glad your engine is ok! Did they have enough flaggers? Some peeps from AR SCCA Racing posted up on the solo forums in a desperate plea for flaggers. I would have flagged but had a prior engagement involving the locust project.

Last edited: May 20, 2006
  33. Brian

Brian Active Member

Yes, they had enough flaggers. And I always make sure I give the "thanks for cornering working" wave too. :)

34. Demo24

Demo24 Member

the only one i saw open was the very last one. I didnt think I could go in there, so i didnt.