David vs. Goliath

Discussion in 'Meetups & Events' started by STI LW8N, May 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. STI LW8N

STI LW8N Member

So Saturday night came and went without any stir..wait, i'm lying, we had a nice little race. We decided to finally put Ben's beast to the test and race the most powerful car out that night night. Everybody in the big V8 car club pointed to Andrew, who had a white Trans Am WS6, with cams, drag radials, 565 RWHP, and a 150 shot of NOS. Ben's car is still on it's learning curve for the Apexi AVCR, so we weren't running full boost, but we wanted to give it a run anyways. We headed out to the parkway, closed it down and ran him twice from a dig. We agreed to whoever hit 130 first hit the flashers to announce their victory. I was driving Ben's car as he is still learning the correct launch sequence which he will have mastered soon enough. The first race I launched up about 3 cars lengths and continued on to 8 car lengths and when i hit 120 i hit my flashers, he wasn't catching up. So he wanted to race again, and we agreed. The second race he was able to get a strong launch, but i hit 150 and he was 4 car lengths behind, and so i flashed my blinkers at his ass again. After the races, the big V8 club left without 20 words spoken. Subaru has made a name for itself finally here in Savannah. We won Saturday night, but now the door has been opened.

2. dsm&asubee

dsm&asubee Member

thats cuz its owners (generally speaking) are seemingly more knowlegable about how to tune their cars ... oh yeah... and they have nice little monkey nuts hanging onto the side of their motors that some would like to call..."Turbos"

3. bluetwo

bluetwo Active Member

That's pretty cool. But don't forget that big bore motor can probably support close to a thousand horsepower. The EJ25 will probably never see more than 7 with everything you can throw on it. Not for long anyway. Of course I'm no engine tuner so... yeah.

Nice to know Bens car won though.

4. STI LW8N

STI LW8N Member

the 2.5 can support just over 700 to the wheels, ut now companies like crawford, axxis, and molley are coming out with 2.9 that can support prolly around 1100, and soon we'llsee it(hopefully in savannah).

5. bluetwo

bluetwo Active Member

A 2.9? Is it a bored and stroked 2.5 or a totally different engine? Obviously they put more aggressive heads and stuff on it too.........

6. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

im glad u guys won but 150 mph on the street is very dangerous... please be careful

7. suby113

suby113 Member

It was on a closed location with no traffic ahead cops were scouted so it was as safe as we could get it.:p

8. JM5999

JM5999 Member

hell F'n yeah...I need to see that video!!

9. bluetwo

bluetwo Active Member

Milo's right though. Racing on anything but a track is just asking for trouble.

That said, I'd also like to mention that WRXatlanta is one of the more laid back sites I've seen and no one's preaching. But some boards will jump all over you for even mentioning that kind of thing. Build your cars and have fun but....

10. suby113

suby113 Member

Jason You're grounded!:fawk:

11. bluetwo

bluetwo Active Member

Aight then. :D I mean I know my shit can hit 12's so, I aint trippin.

12. suby113

suby113 Member

Picking up any Honeys in Kennesaw?:3mol:

13. bluetwo

bluetwo Active Member

Uh, yeah. Right after I post this................................

:p

14. Hazzard

Hazzard Member

actually, this was probably some of the safer street racing that has been done down here....i know some of the guys in the "v8 club" and i understand how they race. they do indeed block off/close down a section of a road, so there is not any traffic to worry about. also, the roads that they use are limited access....

ok, that being said, not really my cup o' tea, but grats on the kill.
    now, lets get that beast to the strip for some times and a few more kills. ;)

15. Sti2781

Sti2781 Member

I actually owe all my thanks to SS and his unbelievable tune. My last ticket and all has gotten pretty scared to drive my own car fast on the road. I have really bad luck, however i must say Dave launched and drove the car near perfect. Just remember i did not do all that to my car to beat V8's and i did not call out anyone to Race, Beebee was just dying to see my car in action. I wouldn't call my car a beast. I just think subaru's are put down and they say you can't make any top end blah blah blah, or i don't want to run from a dig that is not fair. Well to my defence I am not shooting a 150 shot of nos which to me is cheating, cheap horsepower. Methonal is a different story. Meth to me is not much different from running race gas. Just my .02

16. suby113

suby113 Member

You tell them Ben! by the way that was awesome wish I was there to see that! :p

17. JM5999

JM5999 Member

18. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

Just be careful guys, it doesn't take traffic to have something really, really bad happen. Good kill though, now get it to the track and get some timeslips.

19. Sti2781

Sti2781 Member

So if i could pull off a 1.5 or 1.6 60 what do you guys suppose i would run in the quarter??

Last edited: May 29, 2006
  20. Meredith

Meredith Banned

There are plenty of legal drag strips around (georgia DSM hosted an event this weekend). I don't think your buddies and random people on the street can create an enviroment as safe and controlled as people who run a legal venue.

21. Sti2781

Sti2781 Member

I totally agree with you i would like to start taking my car to the track, when i can get time off work that is:rolleyes:

22. apssti

apssti Member

nice , i wish i was there to see that.

23. Deke

Deke Active Member

got to love a victory like that. Congrats man.

24. BigBoosting

BigBoosting Member

probally 11.8 is my guess, but i would like to see your trap speed.

that WS6 is a 11.00 car at the track MAYBE even faster, i have raced plenty of WS6's and with less power than the guy you raced, and i have seen them run at the track and run mid 11's, so that car you raced should be alot faster. If the WS6 really had all those mods then he couldnt drive a damn bit. jsut my two cents.

take your car to the track, im curious to see how it does. You tell me and ill tell you waht i ran :)

25. Sti2781

Sti2781 Member

He told me he ran 11.4 at the track. Honestly in all fairness i think his car should have beaten mine, but a race is a race and we ran twice. The second time he did catch up alot faster up top but we managed to keep him off up until 150.

Hey SS had a car up there with a red in it with Cosworth heads i believe, they say the car is amazing. If you decide the keep you car it might be worth you while to let SS road tune it. Lets put it this way he tuned a regular wrx with an 18g and supporting mods with stock internals that went like 11.7 at 126 that is amazing.

26. BigBoosting

BigBoosting Member

He should be running alot faster than a 11.4 but it dont matter.

That wrx that ran a 11.7 @ 126 is really really shady, if he really did run that time then good for him, but trapping 126mph in the 1/4 is jsut as fast as my STi and i have 507WHP with a huge power curve and that guy has i think 3xx whp on a 2.0L motor,, i mean, do that math. I know its not about peak number but i garuntee my car has twice as much power under the curve than that 2.0 liter but somehow his car is faster? Dont make any sense. That claim is jsut too outragous to belive. And considering all the shadyness in that post of his where he claims those times. If he can run an 11.7 then i should bust off 10.8's all day. Too far fetched. Who knows

27. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

If you are talking about Delette, remember that he did it twice, at 2 different tracks. It does sound far fetched, but at the same point, people questioned it the first time with his 11.8x and he came back an backed it up again. He has great technique and I completely understand the advantage to the Boost Brake Launch, which takes quite a bit of skill.

28. heathbar

heathbar Member

:eek:hnoes: last time I saw "big V8s" racing that fast (WITHOUT TRAFFIC), one ended up wrapped around a tree.

BTW, what does the Sti's 6th gear top out at?

29. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

i have known delette for some time now and i really doubt he is bullshitting... u might have a lot more peak power but u might not be able to take advantage of ur power until the higher gears... u have one additional shift and also a MUCH bigger turbo which will take more time to make boost

i saw a thread i believe on iwsti where 2 guys compared their STis... one had a 20g and i think the other had a sz55... they said the 20g was faster in the first 2 gears... they were both about even in third... 4th onwards, the sz55 was faster...

also as times drop to the 11 second range, driver skill and technique will have a greater impact on ET...

with your power, i am quite certain that u will beat delette from a highway roll but that doesnt guarantee that u will win in the quarter

30. bluetwo

bluetwo Active Member

Some people wouldn't believe I ran a 13 with my modest upgrades and having never drag raced before, but I did it.

And yes, if anyones wondering, I would like a cookie. :D

31. BigBoosting

BigBoosting Member

I said he might have made those times, im all about fast drivers, i use every bit my car has, i leave nothing on the table.

But in the thread where he claims he ran those times there is a bunch of unanswerd questions and some answers dont make sense. Maybe he jsut doesnt know what hes talkig about, BUT i would assume for someone to pull off a crazy time like that they would know what there talking about, right?

I still say he may have done it. But alot of your anserws to his times still dont add up. Like:

You talk about launching technique, he pulled i beleive a 1.6x 60 foot time which aint that good and you say brake boosting is soooooo awsome it allows him to run those times. Then you say my big turbo takes time to spool. WELL, i leave the line off my 2 step and im making 11psi on my BIG turbo before the car moves, i hit full boost (29psi) in miliseconds after i launch the car. I pull 1.5x 60 foot times and i dont miss shifts and drive the car as hard is it possibly can.

AND yes im faster than that 11.7 @ 126. But his trap speed is very close to mine which is almost physically impossible to do with sub 400whp on a 2.0 liter car. He does have one less shift than me and that does gove him an advantage. Another thing, the last car i owned was a 300+whp and 300+WTQ bugeye WRX. I didnt come close to trapping 126 in the 1/4. The best i could possibly run was 114MPH, so if he has the same power as that car, how come he traps 12MPH more? Do you understand how much HP it will take to gain 12MPH on your trap speed?

I say again, he MIGHT have ran those times, but im still skeptical because of all the stuff i jsut listed. Not to mention, no one else has even came clsoe to trapping 126 with his same setup and MANY MANY people have the same mods as him.

i would like to see a video of him doing it if it comes so easy for him.

32. suby113

suby113 Member

Just remember though on a track it all has to do with reaction time, He probably slaughters the tree, When do you take off on thetree if it is a 2/10ths tree then you should be launching or leaving right as the third yellow light hits not green you wait for the green then you might as we'll kiss your 60 foot time good buy I had a wrx before my STI and I shit you not I took it to the track boosting 16 psi and All I had was TBE and ran a 1.2 60 foot time and God As my witness I did I have the ticket to prove it. It all depends on how your Beeting the tree, your power doesn't help you out till after the 60 foot mark ask any real racer they will tell you the same its all about how you drive and beet the tree along with launching reaction time is the biggest facter. Just my 2 cents!:p

33. bluetwo

bluetwo Active Member

It's like finger pointing up to the sky.....

:slap: Don't concentrate on the finger or you'll miss all that heavenly glory.

34. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

i always thought reaction time has nothing to do with ET and that it only affects whether u beat the guy next to u

35. deuce189

deuce189 Member

who said anything about reaction time, unless your confusing that w/ a 60's

36. BigBoosting

BigBoosting Member

Your exactly right

it has nothing to do with your time

the timer doesnt start till your car rolls 8 inches, that is how much play is in between the two staging beams.

So you can sit there all day when the light turns green, and still get a normal time. The timer doesn not start when the light turbs green, so you are wrong.

and a 1.2 60 foot time? come on man, no way in hell. If the slip says so then the timer was messed up. I have slips that say i trapped 200mph in the 1/4, you think thats accurate?

37. suby113

suby113 Member

You no what Don't bitch at me because you can't handle the power of your car let alone drive it!:hsnono: Besides I'm not here to argue just go on thinking that you know how to drag! Thats all I have too say!

Last edited: May 30, 2006
  38. Indica029

Indica029 Member

you know i usually just read the threads. i don't say too much except try and make a funny here and there. But this isn't the first time i have seen this ...that a certain member on this site starts a conflict that centers around their desire to prove that their car is better then everyone else's. Or how could a another car be faster or get a better time??? Well guess what ur car is alot faster then mine has more hsp. more torque blah blah blah. so much so that it's not even important that i mention it. But let's say that wasn't so, lets say that i owned a car that was 500 hsp. Far fetched but if i did i still wouldn't need to prove anything to (insert name here). last time i checked this site was a car club forum not www.ThereIsNoWayYourCarCanHang.com.org.net. When did people stop Practicing the fine art of being humble?

Maybe those times aren't correct. Maybe they are. If you had some questions about them ask someone that might know. it seems like a polite way to find out ...alot better then thread jacking so you can grandstand and preach ur gospel. Hey ur pretty good at it by the way you almost got me convinced. But then again i don't care how fast ur car is or what his times were ....I just like driving my subaru and that's what i thought this forum was all about. Last i checked weren't you trying to sell urs? opps i wasn't going to try not to refer directly to the person i was talking too. My bad ...Well actually i don't know who i'm refering to could be the owner of the 500 whp/487tq 2004 STi or i could be talking to her BF. either way it's cool jst don't hate on little ole me cause i don't think my car could beat urs from a dig or a roll, on the highway or just around town, even if i got the red with a Utec instead of the green ecu'tekked

39. BigBoosting

BigBoosting Member

HAHA

what are you talking about

why cant i have a discussion on here? My hobby is cars, fast cars, and thats what i do. Is that not your same hobby? This is a car forum right? Or is it a jsut for a few buddies so they can talk to each other? Im not picking on anyone here, i was jsut using MY car as an example, i could have used anyones car. I'll start doing that since i can see alot of people on here are pretty sensative, which i still dont understand.

I jsut dont get it, how come all yall want do to is agree with each other? You never second guessed anything in your life? Or maybe disagreed with someone? Or do you jsut follow and believe what everyone tells you?

Im not picking on anyone, but im tired of seeing people make post whining about another post somone made. Why? Seems like alot of poeple on here are push overs and have no opinions for themselves.

YOU DID NOT RUN A 1.2 60 foot.

Top fuel race cars pull 1.2 60 foot times. The new record breaker for the worlds fastest DSM jsut pulled a 1.4 60 foot and he ran like a freaking 9 sec 1/4.

rediculous. 1.2 HA

40. Indica029

Indica029 Member

I have opinions, ALOT of them. maybe too many. but let me ask you a question. If you read thru ur posts and not just this one but others can you see a little attitude in what you say? Because everyone else does. and that is why they take so much offense with you. It is MY opinion that either ur trying to get a reaction out of people or you just have a natural ability to rub peeps the wrong way.

Yeah it's cool to use ur car as an exsample but seriously you use ur car as the posterboy for "don't you wish you had this nenner nenner nenner" Even with what you just said in this post when you said "i'm not picking on anyone" ....what makes you think you are in a posistion to pick on people? because ur car is faster then theirs? you have a better power curve?

you could take offense to what i'm sayinbg or you could just think about it and check urself.

41. BigBoosting

BigBoosting Member

I said i wasnt picking on anyone beacause YOU said i was, thats all.

fine, since you whine so much i wont use my car as an example, im glad i can make one person happy on here.

And anyways it was jsut an exapmle to show how rediculous that trap speed was for that car. Did you understand that part?, or did you bend it in your own little wasy so you could argue some? Damn

42. Indica029

Indica029 Member

o yeah i understood that part just fine and like i said you even have me almost convinced. i'm just here to help you work on ur image....you know revamp ur whole outlook and persona. now if you could just drop the part about me whining...or that i was looking for a reason to argue we could be getting somewhere....

so apologize for being rude and i'll apologize for flaming you in this forum and we can all be merry :)

come on it's not hard

43. sol drums

sol drums Active Member

come on guys and girls lets not let this get out of hand.

and i've been wanting to say this for awhile now... ever since i joined this forum, WRXatlanta has been proud of being a friendly community. one of the main reasons we are friendly is because most of us know each other, not just a screen name without a face. this was a smaller group when i joined and it seemed like most everyone had a chance to put a face with the screen name. when that happens it's a lot easier to not to start flame wars. as this community gets larger and larger this is harder to do. but i wish and i think a lot of other people here wish that the drama would be left out. the drama on other sites like nasioc and IA is not wanted here. it's not that we just go around agreeing with everyone, we are friends. and i have no desire to get into arguements with my friends all the time.

if you insist to keep it up take it to PMs please.

44. JM5999

JM5999 Member

And now I'm going to chime in for a minute. In response to this.

Maybe you haven't realized this yet, but just about everyone in the "Savannah" forum lives here and hangs out on a weekly basis, and maybe you haven't noticed that the same people post in here. That being said, we don't fight over who's car is faster and better everytime we hang out. We don't race each other on the streets here, nor do we talk s%$t about who would win. We do believe what each other says cuz even if they're lying to us it really DOESN'T matter to us! OOOOH I have a green, I have a red, I spray meth, blah blah blah... There's no need for subarus to race each other, why not just show all the v8's the kind of power we do push, like Dave and Ben did the other night. I'm done here... There's better things for me to do than argue over a damn car...

45. BigBoosting

BigBoosting Member

Well, i live in Statesboro is that not close enought to Savannah to post on here? And sorry i dont know everyone personally, how is that my fault? And i NEVER have jsut straight bragged about my car on here. I tried to get a race one time with another STi on here and yall flipped out. And i dont talk shit to anyone on here either. If you read back, this all started with me not agreeing that this one guy made a "magical" pass down the 1/4 mile. How is that talkign shit or braggin?

46. RamblinWRX

RamblinWRX Member

Since he's done sub 12 twice on 2 different tracks, i'd be hard to bs the slip. I'm sure he'll be out again maybe next time with a video camera so there's undeniable proof, as if it matters. With the wrx's gearing isn't it possible to hit about 120 mph in 4th? Maybe that extra shift in the sti does something to limit your trap speed in the 1/4 and that's why they were similar?

47. savsuby

savsuby Member

come on guys We need to take a chill pill. Everbody knows that I have the fastest car in Savannah.

LOL

We dont need to be like other forums. I came to this Forum because I was tried of feeling stupid on other forums.

48. BigBoosting

BigBoosting Member

one extra shift isnt gonna drop 12mph off your trap speed, but it does hurt a little, i'll give you that.

Like i said before, he might have done it, but there are sooooooo many reasons why he cant.

I would like to see a video

49. savsuby

savsuby Member

Are you a race car driver. NO

50. RamblinWRX

RamblinWRX Member

who cares? no one is a "race car driver" here. she has a right to an opinion like everyone else, so save that useless banter for yourself.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.