Import Showdown May 27th-28th at Silver Dollar Raceway

Discussion in 'Meetups & Events' started by paulblackgsx, Apr 22, 2006.

1. paulblackgsx

paulblackgsx Member

The Import Showdown returns May 27th and 28th at Silver Dollar Raceway. If you haven't made it to an Import Showdown event, you don't know what you are missing! The Import Showdown is one of the southeast's hottest and fastest growing sportsman drag racing events. Our event combines fun, well thought out competitions with Test and Tune (open run) passes. Last year we drew an average of 150 racers, 750 spectators, and paid out and gave away over $3000 in cash, prizes, and giveaways! This event appeals to everyone, whether you just want an opportunity to make as many passes as you can make, or you are interested in competitions.

This event is open to everyone! Any vehicle or bike, import or domestic is welcome to make passes as long as they can't meet track safety requirements, you can run any setup. Competition rules based on tire choice, power adders, number of cylinders, and other factors. Please see our website for competition rules and classes.

New for Spring 2006 - we've expanded our test and tune time! We now offer at least an additional hour of strictly test and tune time to Sunday! We've also added test and tune time Saturday night. We've adjusted our competition classes slightly to allow those who are more competitive to compete with each other, and those who are just interested in 'bragging rights' to compete with each other. For spectators we have more giveaways and more entertainment! Saturday is going to be a very relaxed evening, with open passes and live entertainment! Sunday will include vendors, giveaways, and entertainment.

We also have a bonus competitions: EVO vs. STi presented by Top Speed! It uses the modified class competition rules and runs the fastest EVOs against the fastest STi's!

Pre-registration opens April 24th!

Import Showdown Presented by Spec Clutch and Flywheel

What: Drag Racing (Competitions and Test and Tune)
    Who: Any vehicle (import, domestic, bike) is welcome!! Competition rules
    When: May 27th-28th, 2006
    Where: Silver Dollar Raceway
    Cost: $10 gate entry (race or watch) plus $20 for a tech card (to make passes)

More Information: www.importshowdown.com

Last edited: Apr 22, 2006
  2. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

I may be able to actually show up for this one, we'll see. We'll sticky it as well as the event draws near. Congratulations on the sucess of the IS at little tally!

Best of luck :D

3. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

hey there paul... congrats on running a successful event at tally :bigthumb:

i have been to the past 2 showdown events and they have been a lot of fun... a lot of cool cars show up and u will be able to get a ton of runs in :)

4. mattprzy

mattprzy Active Member

I think I might be able to run my car this time! I'll come for sure!

5. paulblackgsx

paulblackgsx Member

Thanks everyone! Definitely looking forward to this one, should be a lot of fun and even more time for runs! If you have any questions as this draws closer, definitely let me know.

6. mattprzy

mattprzy Active Member

I probably won't want to go both days. Seeing how Saturday is 5-9. BUT My question is how long will you be test and tuning on Sunday, from what times? Because I'm sure my car won't be good enough for competition. And Saturday is only a test and tune day, correct?

I'm super excited about this! I will defintielly be racing!

7. ShaneSTI

ShaneSTI Active Member

i think i might have to show up for this one...to spectate of course.:p

no one else is gonna go or what???

dang i was trying to bump this thread, but forgot about the double post thing.lol

Last edited: Apr 25, 2006
  8. calmnothing

calmnothing Shlimp Flied Lice Supporting Member

Hmm i wouldn't mind running a few hondas....I might be there

We could start off with Lancer Vs RS as an appetizer to the Evo Vs STI lol

9. paulblackgsx

paulblackgsx Member

We run test and tune all day on Sunday. We only break to run the competition qualifying and actual competitions. The competitions take up maybe 2.5 hours of the 7 hours of track time. Plenty of time to get in a lot of runs. People have been able to get 20+ runs if they are interested in hot laping.

There is usually a pretty solid showing of WRX/STi's from here at the event. If only we could ever get Yerrow to come :)

Last edited: May 2, 2006
  10. yerrow

yerrow Active Member

see paul, you say that and this year i am trying to get down there! lemme know when you/re going to pearl river

11. J Suby

J Suby Member

I'm hoping to run again just for the hell of it so look for me there

12. Eric-RPS13-

Eric-RPS13- Member

I kinda want to run some lightly modded Rex's

13. elmo_dsm

elmo_dsm New Member

Why hello yerrrow! Paul and I are always looking for a reason to head to pearl river, you just say the word and were off!

(btw, for thoes of you that don't know me, I am Paulblackgsx's wife!)

This one could very well be the best event ever! Hopefully we will see quite a few of you guys out again.

I can not wait to see what my eclpse will do down the track now that it will actually go into 3rd gear. (and i don't get lined up with mr. bad luck himself Genya!)

14. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

this event is going to be awesome... i have been there two times and its been bad ass

15. jakeisajedi

jakeisajedi Member

Hopefully I'll be there!

16. mattprzy

mattprzy Active Member

Is it pre-regester only? Or can I show up sunday and pay for the tech card when I get there?

ALSO: Will there be a caravan there for WRXatlanta? or WRXatl + other clubs?

17. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

Usually you can pay when you get there. It costs a little more to pay at the gates, but only about $5 to $10.

18. jakeisajedi

jakeisajedi Member

19. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

if i were in town, id set something up for our crew... but i guess the best thing would be to try and meet at the varsity

20. ShaneSTI

ShaneSTI Active Member

umm...yeah i'm down to roll. so who wants to meet up cause my dumb ass gets lost in buford.

21. elmo_dsm

elmo_dsm New Member

There are a few caravans set up with GA DSM. http://http://www.gadsm.org/showthread.php?t=28480

There is also a caravan leaving later on Saturday.

Just so you all know, Pre-reg is closed at this point. Tech cards can be purchased the day of the event and are $15 on Saturday and $20 on Sunday. Please also note there is a $10 gate fee that is charded by the track

Directions to the Track:
    Exit 149 (Byron, GA). Follow Highway 49 to Highway 96. Take Highway 96 west to Reynolds, GA..

From I-75 south, take exit 136 (Perry, GA). Take Highway 341 to Fort Valley Road. Travel west on Fort Valley Road to Highway 96.

22. Tray@topspeed

Tray@topspeed Member

I hope to see you guys there!

Tray M

23. J Suby

J Suby Member

I'll be there sunday with some people if any of you guys see me come say whats up b/c i dont really know any of ya'll except tray

24. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Active Member

I'd be there but my new engine isn't broken in yet. :(

25. mattprzy

mattprzy Active Member

edit: BAD NEWS

I'm back!

My best 1/4 time was a 14.384!! @ 95.91 mph.

I hit my goal and am super happy about it!!!!!1!!!!!!1!!! Once I figured out how to launch my car it was alllll over. Except I really didn't figure it out till the very end and my very last run was the 14.384.

I ran like, 25 times though, most of my times being 14.9-15.2.

----the edit----

omg 25ish runs = f'd up transmission. :wtc:

on the way back home it felt fiine. Perfect. However, my brother just took it out to go the the grocery store and it became stuck in gear. When he came back I inspected what I could from feeling the shifter. It came in and out of first, but would not go into any other gear. Eventually after a few more times of going from first to neutral, it just became stuck in neutral. I can't move it into any gear. When I was rolling backwards on my driveway slowly, during 2 of about 6 rolls backwards, we could hear a clicking noise in the front part of the car.

I'm having my friend come see what the problem is tomorrow. According to him it sounds like my syncros are messed up.

but at least i got a 14.38? -.-' (<-- that's a text face)

Last edited: May 28, 2006
  26. knhtrdr

knhtrdr Active Member

^^sounds about like me my first time out 15 somethin lol except for the failure. sorry man

Last edited: May 28, 2006
  27. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

how did u launch it? how agressive were you shifting it?

28. mattprzy

mattprzy Active Member

Lauches were pretty hard. 5.5k at most. First half of my runs were 4k launches. Then I slowly progressed to 5kish.

My very first run I missed second trying to shift fast into second. So Every time afterward I took my time in shiftin gears. Probably a half second to a second for switching first to second and then second to third as well.

29. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

i doubt ur making enough torque to break the tranny on a roll... however, shocking the tranny by dumping the clutch is real bad... the 02s are known for their fragile transmissions... sorry about your troubles man

30. mattprzy

mattprzy Active Member

you only learn from your mistakes (/failed attempt to make myself feel better)

so i guess I'll start the american dream by becomeing even more in debt! For a super cause though.

31. bluetwo

bluetwo Active Member

I'm hoping that you just burnt your clutch. A lot of times being stuck in gear or not having a 5th or something like that means just that. Time for an upgrade.

Good luck man.

32. mattprzy

mattprzy Active Member

I just repalced my clutch with a new ACT street clutch. I dragged with it only after 400miles on it.

33. knhtrdr

knhtrdr Active Member

You gotta ease it off the clutch!! I learned that the first time at the track and that clutches are cheaper to replace than trannys.:)

34. baddriver

baddriver Active Member

I heard a mechanic who drags his wrx say something to the effect of:

Clutch smell good, ...clunk sound bad.

In response to my question about slipping the clutch during launches with my 04 WRX.

Has anyone here who drags their wrx here regulary get that burning clutch smell when they make their runs?

35. yerrow

yerrow Active Member

if you are slipping the clutch like you should in our cars, you should be smelling the clutch after a few passes. slipping ='s heat

36. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Active Member

I always slipped my clutch to the point I could smell it for hours afterwards. I would launch at 4.5k and pull 1.7 60's all day long. This was with almost 400ft lbs of torque at the wheels. I never ran into any problems shifting into any gears even after this abuse with my 02 tranny.

I am sorry to say but I think you may have real issues.

37. javid

javid Member

So dAng! made it out to this event for some 'fisher-price my first drag'. Over all the day wasn't bad, nothing broke and I now know how to launch with all this power.

The biggest problem was with the cooling. The car was heating up even before the 1/8th mile, as it turned out this was causing the ECU to pull tons of timing.

This kept my traps down to 114 for most the day. After letting the car sit, cool, and then bringing the advance multiplier back up I traped 90 in the 1/8 and 117 in the 1/4. Best time of the day was a 12.5 at 110. Both were early in the day when it was only 100 outside, neither were done with aggressive shifting (which I played with later in the day).

Of course, headed to the event I had my heart set on mid 11s on the pump gas map with meth but after a few runs it was obvious that I needed to spend the day learning to launch and get the 1-2 down and then fix the cooling issue later. By days end, I was making consistant 1.8 60's and only spinning 2nd about half the time... so I am getting it down, slowly :lol:. I was pretty happy with the 1.8's as my setup was far from drag happy (700lb springs and -3/-2 camber F/R, heavy 10" wheels)

Second problem was the heat, it was 110 off track and ~120 on track. This combined with a long weekend at the dragon and little sleep the night prior had me and nearly everyone else not thinking clearly. This caused me to only manage the cooling issue by turning the heater on and not asking "is there something wrong?" (I thought I may have just been the heat + power + oil and FMIC holding the cooling system back) or to even show/ask doug what was going on. It was a poor thinking on my part and the fix was quick and easy once we looked at the car later that night.

Third problem, which considering the above was pretty minor, was that the soft limiter I had Doug tune for road course use was preventing me from flat foot shifting. I played with this later in the day and was surprise with how easy it was on the car when the limiter didn't hold me back. I just had to time it right and the sprung 6 puck would take the initial load very nicely. BTW if you want a clutch for 400-500 ftlbs for your STi the RPS 6 puck sprung is the way to go, special thanks to Tray at TopSpeed for recommending the clutch.

Over all though the day wasn't bad and I suppose everyone has to learn to drag at one point. I was glad to know that I wasn't 'that' bad and it was the cooling/heat that held me back from low 120 traps.

Thanks to TopSpeed, DeadBolt, and 5Zigen (although I may drag next on the light stockers :lol:) for helping me build a car that is too fast for me too drive.

FYI, this past weekend I put about 2 hours of Dragon runs and ~15 passes at 21 or more psi.... the tune and motor are strong. :)

Last edited: May 31, 2006
  38. SolidSnake

SolidSnake Member

Dang! I live right down the road from that track, and that weekend was the first I missed. Who had the best time out of the Subarus, and best over-all import time? The best I have managed out there with this heat was a 12.2 @ 117, with a 1.81 60", and my crappy shifting. Hope to see you all next time down.

39. javid

javid Member

I think there were only 2 subies, both in this thread. Battleground ran a 10.5 in their EVO to win modified class. Clark's (of TopSpeed) Supra did some T&T with some new oversized drag radials and ran high 10s with 2.0 60's and won the showdown class. He has a little work to do but the tires should be good for 1.6 or lower and low 10s.

FTD goes to the full drag car that was trapping eleventiy billion in the 1/8, lifting and running 9s at 120. It was fun to watch.

40. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

eleventy billion is my favorite number

so javid, if this was ur first drag event, was it a rush?

41. SolidSnake

SolidSnake Member

So Javid, were you the fastest STi @ 12.5?

42. mattprzy

mattprzy Active Member

There were only 3 wrx's and one STI there.

43. javid

javid Member

I think, but I coulda woulda shoulda been much faster...

Milo, the first launch was a rush, up until the point when I released the clutch and bogged the car :lol:. The rest of the day was a combination of pain from the heat and concentration on how to get through 2nd gear quickly... I was surprised I could spin 2nd if I wasn't careful.